mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2020-01-06, 02:04   #1
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

50110 Posts
Default Any plans on making some software for Chromebooks

Just wondering whether there are any plans for a Chromebook version of software because I would not mind having my Chromebook at least Continuously TF a Mersenne, even if it's working on a Mersenne that I'm PRPing on a faster computer.
JuanTutors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-06, 04:54   #2
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

1101101100002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanTutors View Post
Just wondering whether there are any plans for a Chromebook version of software because I would not mind having my Chromebook at least Continuously TF a Mersenne, even if it's working on a Mersenne that I'm PRPing on a faster computer.
Presumably, mlucas will work on it.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-06, 05:45   #3
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

7658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
Presumably, mlucas will work on it.
What about just factoring? I have an old laptop with a 100M Mersenne that I'm going to have to let expire or move to another computer because I don't use it often enough, something like 3 hours per week. This Chromebook is going to be used in essentially the same way. I am interested in kinda just doing TF on a Mersenne I am already doing PRP on, in case I get super lucky and coincidentally save myself some of a PRP test.

Last fiddled with by JuanTutors on 2020-01-06 at 05:46 Reason: Typo
Old 2020-01-06, 20:03   #4
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

231528 Posts

Just received e-mail from the OP inquiring about using Mlucas for TF on his Chromebook, now see there is a also a new thread about this. My reply:
Quote:
Note that trial factoring is best done by GPUs these days, since those are ideally suited for that work, i.e. get far better work-per-watt-hour than CPUs. There is no reason you can't do primality testing on a part-time basis, it will just take proportionally longer depending on how may hours per day your machine is doing such work.

First off, I need to know what kind of processor your machine has - if it's Intel core-based you'll want to use George Woltmans's Prime95/mprime code, which is the most efficient for Intel CPUs. If it's ARM-based, you should be able to use one of my precompiled Mlucas binaries for that architecture.

Easiest way to find out: In a command shell, do 'cat /proc/cpuinfo' and send me the resulting output.
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-07, 02:57   #5
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·3·11·149 Posts

OP replies:
Quote:
I did not know how to open a command shell in a chromebook but this one is by Lenovo, and I went into chrome://system and found that the chips are from AMD. This is what it says, exactly: uname
Linux localhost 4.14.149-13635-gfe4171a450a3 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Dec 12 23:02:34 PST 2019 x86_64 AMD A6-9220C RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
So this looks like a job for Prime95/mprime ... has anyone run that on a Chromebook?
Old 2020-01-07, 04:26   #6
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

7,159 Posts

1) Get mprime for Linux 64-bit at https://mersenne.org/download
2) tar xvf to get mprime
3) ./mprime -m will bring up menus to let you choose the work you want to do

My concern is this: can a Chromebook dissipate the heat adequately?
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-07, 16:47   #7
chris2be8

Sep 2009

79A16 Posts

If the chromebook won't be running very often look for shortish tasks. P-1 factoring would be a good choice now.

Chris
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-07, 19:36   #8
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×3×11×149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
1) Get mprime for Linux 64-bit at https://mersenne.org/download
2) tar xvf to get mprime
3) ./mprime -m will bring up menus to let you choose the work you want to do

Presumably the tar-extract can be done via the usual of gui-accessed etxrator utility, but the lack of linux-shell access is still annoying ... did a websearch for "how to open a command shell in a chromebook", found a bunch of identical tips along these lines:
Quote:
Google's Chrome operating system is billed as the OS that moves the computing experience into the "cloud", but there is still an easy way to access a Command Line and Shell Prompt: Simply press the CTRL+ALT+T keyboard combination to get to the command line, then type Shell to get a shell prompt.
Of course "moving things into the cloud" is tech-speak for "mass 24/7 harvesting of user data", but that's less a worry for DC-project crunching than using the device for privacy-sensitive things and letting one's kids use it.

Re. thermal load, do these have any kind of fan? Even if they do it's probably a crappy fan-for-ultraslim-notebook deal, which will likely last under a year under serious load, but it's always interesting to play with new-for-GIMPS hardware platforms and see their strengths and weaknesses.
Old 2020-01-07, 20:05   #9
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

52·191 Posts

ewmayer, Just wondering if you had consent from the OP to share here part of your private discussion. TIA.
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-07, 23:27   #10
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·3·11·149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
ewmayer, Just wondering if you had consent from the OP to share here part of your private discussion. TIA.
Since the OP started a thread specifically to address the same issue he e-mailed me about, "how to do GIMPS work on Chromebook", I don't see a problem re-posting snips specifically about that topic to said thread. "My Chromebook runs AMD" is not exactly a privacy-sensitive issue. If OP has any objections, he is welcome to make them to me.
Old 2020-01-08, 03:56   #11
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

1111101012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
No biggie. Not a sensitive topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I DEFINITELY need access to a working Chromebook this weekend so I won't try this until Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Re. thermal load, do these have any kind of fan? Even if they do it's probably a crappy fan-for-ultraslim-notebook deal, which will likely last under a year under serious load, but it's always interesting to play with new-for-GIMPS hardware platforms and see their strengths and weaknesses.
Now I'm motivated to try it but I might want to look up fan specs first. I still have a few days with Best Buy. Also wondering if there is a temperature sensor on that computer.