Old 2011-04-07, 00:15   #1
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

11×211 Posts
Default PauseWhileRunning and running as admin [Win7]

PauseWhileRunning does not seem to detect processes that are being run as an administrator. For example, the Windows Task Manager has to switch to admin mode to view all processes when UAC is enabled. As a test, I added taskmgr to PauseWhileRunning, and Prime95 did pause when I loaded the Task Manager. But when I switched to admin mode, Prime95 continues running.

I've noticed that disabling UAC seems to solve the problem. Using the "Run as administrator" on Prime95 itself also works, but it has the side effect of disabling the GUI as Prime95 is being run as a service.

Is it possible to add a native fix to Prime95?
ixfd64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-12, 15:36   #2
ZFR

Feb 2008
Bray, Ireland

3×52 Posts

Hi,
Sorry to bump an old post, but I'd like to second this question. Prime95 is causing lagging in some games, and I'd like to have it pause automatically when they're running, but can't because they're run as administrator.
Thanks.
ZFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 05:22   #3
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

29·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFR View Post
Hi,
Sorry to bump an old post, but I'd like to second this question. Prime95 is causing lagging in some games, and I'd like to have it pause automatically when they're running, but can't because they're run as administrator.
Thanks.
I'm confused... why can't you run Prime95 as an administrator as well? You're doing that with games, so it seems like you could do that with Prime95 when you launch it?

I'm assuming that would fix it, but full disclosure, I haven't actually tested... it just seems like it should work that way.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 08:40   #4
ZFR

Feb 2008
Bray, Ireland

3×52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
I'm confused... why can't you run Prime95 as an administrator as well? You're doing that with games, so it seems like you could do that with Prime95 when you launch it?
Yes, that would fix it and I'm doing it now. The only (small) issue then is the UAC pop up whenever Prime95 starts up automatically (I don't want to disable UAC completely). I created a workaround to start it via task scheduler instead, so it's not a biggie. Was just wsondering if it is possible to add a native fix.

Last fiddled with by ZFR on 2016-03-13 at 08:42
Old 2016-03-13, 14:36   #5
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

32×181 Posts

You shouldn't run games as a member of the administrators group. Perhaps you should look why those games need those rights ? (For instance check the permissions on the folder where they are installed or other folders those programs write to...)

I do not think that the developper of Prime95 will try to fulfil your request : you are the only who ever mentioned this.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 15:01   #6
ZFR

Feb 2008
Bray, Ireland

3×52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
You shouldn't run games as a member of the administrators group. Perhaps you should look why those games need those rights ?

I do not think that the developper of Prime95 will try to fulfil your request : you are the only who ever mentioned this.
I know and I generally don't. At the moment it's just two games that need it. The error message indicates it's trying to write to a protected folder which it shouldn't. Sloppy programming, but I've been trying to get the devs to fix it for some time to no avail.

Games aside, there are programs which have to be run and should be run with admin priviliges, and if there is a reason to have Prime95 pause while they're running it's not possible to do so with PauseWhileRunning. I know the developers of Prime95 might not try to fulfill this request, especially since ther are many workarounds, but I'm bringing it to their attention nonetheless.

And there are at least two people who ever mentioned this, ixfd64 being another one.
Old 2016-03-13, 18:32   #7
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

23·3·7·43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
Is it possible to add a native fix to Prime95?
Sort of. I've coded up an alternate method of getting the process name. It gets the name of the executable, but not the full pathname of the executable. The next release will include both methods. Hope that helps.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 18:43   #8
ZFR

Feb 2008
Bray, Ireland

4B16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Sort of. I've coded up an alternate method of getting the process name. It gets the name of the executable, but not the full pathname of the executable. The next release will include both methods. Hope that helps.
Thank you very much!
Old 2016-03-14, 01:17   #9
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

CCD16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFR View Post
I know and I generally don't. At the moment it's just two games that need it. The error message indicates it's trying to write to a protected folder which it shouldn't. Sloppy programming, but I've been trying to get the devs to fix it for some time to no avail.

Games aside, there are programs which have to be run and should be run with admin priviliges, and if there is a reason to have Prime95 pause while they're running it's not possible to do so with PauseWhileRunning. I know the developers of Prime95 might not try to fulfill this request, especially since ther are many workarounds, but I'm bringing it to their attention nonetheless.

And there are at least two people who ever mentioned this, ixfd64 being another one.
A program running without admin rights has limited abilities to get info on other processes.

Specifically, I use "Process Explorer" (a SysInternals tool) to get info on running programs with a lot of detail, but if you don't run as an admin you're going to be missing a lot of the information.

Ultimately this is by design... non admin users are, by definition, limited in what kinds of things they can do.

I see George mentioned a possible alternate way... after all, it only needs the name itself of a running process and nothing else, so maybe that's possible.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote