mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Data > mersenne.ca

Old 2015-08-27, 18:16   #1
Gordon

Nov 2008

3·167 Posts
Default Primenet result not propagandizing to mersenne.ca

Hi,

Found another ECM factor for a 10m exponent yesterday (33 hours ago)

M10858213

This doesn't appear in mersenne.ca which you can verify by clicking on the factor that links through.

Ok, no problem, I'll just report it manually to mersenne.ca

No, you can't, doesn't accept any results for any exponents less than 1000M.

Which is a pain really as when it pulls over from priment it DOESN't pull over the sigma or number of curves....
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-27, 19:15   #2
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

CCD16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi,

Found another ECM factor for a 10m exponent yesterday (33 hours ago)

M10858213

This doesn't appear in mersenne.ca which you can verify by clicking on the factor that links through.

Ok, no problem, I'll just report it manually to mersenne.ca

No, you can't, doesn't accept any results for any exponents less than 1000M.

Which is a pain really as when it pulls over from priment it DOESN't pull over the sigma or number of curves....
There's a hiccup in the data transfer from mersenne.org to mersenne.ca, and it has everything to do with that bogus trial factor result reported on Tuesday. Grr... the super large GHz/Days it created ended up overflowing a SQL statement that does the XML output.

I'm consulting with George on how to handle that one particular result... probably end up removing it entirely since at least that one is patently bogus.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-27, 20:57   #3
Gordon

Nov 2008

3×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
There's a hiccup in the data transfer from mersenne.org to mersenne.ca, and it has everything to do with that bogus trial factor result reported on Tuesday. Grr... the super large GHz/Days it created ended up overflowing a SQL statement that does the XML output.

I'm consulting with George on how to handle that one particular result... probably end up removing it entirely since at least that one is patently bogus.
Is it going to transfer across the sigma and number of curves?
Old 2015-08-28, 03:42   #4
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

213448 Posts

"propagandizing"? haha, who changed the title? 10 points! (hey, look mom, it is not underlined with red! we honestly had no idea this word is correct in English, in spite of the fact that we understand its meaning is not the same as propagating)

On topic: (Let's destroy James' holiday):

There is a different problem here, I signaled few times in the past the fact that mersenne.ca is returning an error (factor unknown, or so), when one is looking for a factor which is not in DB. For example, if I look for q=23, and 23 (the factor) is not in DB, it will give me an error. It should be extremely easy to factor (q-1)/2 and see if one of the prime factors of it can be the p, such as q divides 2^p-1 (this is a single line in pari). And tell me "23 is a factor of M11" even if it never heared about 23 and 11.

This because when some guy finds a factor, his first impulse is to click on that factor, to see how many bits it has. But then the link (automatically added by mersenne.org) will point to a mersenne.ca error page, because the factors are not yet synchronized (that can take from minutes to hours). I tried many times in the past to check for, or input, factors at/to mersenne.ca, but I gave up because it seemed too complicate to input the exponent too. I want to copy/paste the factor, that's it. Or click on it, on mersenne.org (i.e PrimeNet), as it is already working for "older" factors. Try it for a "new" factor (from the "cleared" report, for example), and mersenne.ca will crash. The site should be clever enough to find the exponent, and add the factor to its own database, enriching it (i.e. self learning) without waiting till that synchro process will occur, if the factor is valid, otherwise ignore it or tell me "you are idiot, this is not a valid factor".

Of course, this can result in abuse, some idiot can send thousands of fake factors, keeping the site busy factorizing them. This can be time-restricted (no more than one q-1 factorization every 10-20-30 seconds, for the same IP address, for example; nobody finds new factors faster than that), or number_of_factors-restricted, or have a capcha (yes, it is easier to input a capcha which you have it in front of you, than to go back to mersenne.org and look for the expo, look for "add factor" page on mersenne.ca, and copy/paste it there, then go back again and copy/paste the factor - this because the page where you look for factors is different than the page where you add factors).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2015-08-28 at 03:51
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-28, 06:43   #5
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

1100110011012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
"propagandizing"? haha, who changed the title? 10 points! (hey, look mom, it is not underlined with red! we honestly had no idea this word is correct in English, in spite of the fact that we understand its meaning is not the same as propagating)
I think some of the mods around here enjoy changing thread titles... I find it confusing, but oh well. I guess it keeps some folks entertained. :)

The funky "no factor" result was removed and James should be able to catch up with the mersenne.org data for the past 3 days now.

I also re-ran the hourly stats just now to make sure "smok_bmv" went back to a more reasonable rank, not top 10 as the result of one bogus entry. Should be good.

So if anyone noticed the hourly report for any of the rankings was updated at 6:36 UTC, that's why... it was me.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-29, 18:14   #6
Gordon

Nov 2008

3·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Is it going to transfer across the sigma and number of curves?
No, it doesn't.

Can we have the manual results for ALL exponents put back in place on mersenne.ca please.