mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2012-09-19, 02:34   #1
almostfrugal

Jan 2009
Fletcher, NC

23 Posts
Default where is prime95 keeping my prime, local, worktodo files?

I just installed Prime95 on my new computer. On my other computers, prime95 stores my prime, local, worktodo and other files right in the prime95 directory. On this new one, it is storing them somewhere else, but I would like them to be in the prime95 directory. How do I change this?
almostfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 02:42   #2
dabaichi

Sep 2011

22×23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfrugal View Post
I just installed Prime95 on my new computer. On my other computers, prime95 stores my prime, local, worktodo and other files right in the prime95 directory. On this new one, it is storing them somewhere else, but I would like them to be in the prime95 directory. How do I change this?
I think by default, the files like prime, local, etc should locate at the same directory as prime95.exe. You can try downloading and unzip the original zip file again. Or you can try adding "WorkingDir=your_directory_name":

Quote:
Originally Posted by undoc.txt
In prime.txt you can force the program to use different filenames for 6 files.
You can also change the working directory (identical to the -W command line
argument).
prime.ini=your_filename
local.ini=your_filename
worktodo.ini=your_filename
prime.log=your_filename
prime.spl=your_filename
results.txt=your_filename
WorkingDir=your_directory_name

Last fiddled with by dabaichi on 2012-09-19 at 02:45
dabaichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 03:15   #3
sdbardwick

Aug 2002
North San Diego County

23×5×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfrugal View Post
Assuming (1) this is a Windows 7 system, and (2) Prime95 was installed in the Program Files directory, then Windows UAC redirects the file writes. From the linked Wikipedia article:
Quote:
For example, if an application attempts to write to “C:\program files\appname\settings.ini” and the user doesn’t have permissions to write to that directory, the write will get redirected to “C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\appname\settings.ini”.
The quickest solution is to move Prime95 directory somewhere with write access, and copy the contents of the redirected directory (the one under C:\Users\...) to the new Prime95 directory.
(Directory = folder; I'm old.)

Last fiddled with by sdbardwick on 2012-09-19 at 03:20
sdbardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-19, 03:18   #4
almostfrugal

Jan 2009
Fletcher, NC

23 Posts

Okay, I downloaded the zip file, re-extracted it, ran prime95.exe. No change. Still no prime.txt, local.txt, worktodo.txt files in my Prime95 directory. The work picked up just where it left off before I reloaded, so the work files are somewhere, just not in Prime95 directory. I can't add above WorkingDir= because I can't find prime.txt.
Old 2012-09-19, 03:51   #5
almostfrugal

Jan 2009
Fletcher, NC

23 Posts

Thanks. I moved my Prime95 directory out of the Program Files directory, moved the redirected work files into my Prime95 directory, and now everything works just like I want it to. Thanks.