mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2010-03-10, 16:53   #1
joblack

Oct 2008
n00bville

52×29 Posts
Default I don't get the 'http://mersenne.org/primenet/'

I don't get the 'http://mersenne.org/primenet/' results completely.

Can you simplify the output (usability) or make a legend which explains what is what? Also I think you have some redundancy in the output ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-10, 17:11   #2
axn

Jun 2003

10010101011002 Posts

Right at the bottom of the page:
Quote:
Legend for first 8 columns: P = Prime, F = At least one known factor, LL-D = Double-checked LL,
LL = One Lucas-Lehmer test, LLERR = One Lucas-Lehmer test with possible hardware errors,
NO-LL = No Lucas-Lehmer test run
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 01:55   #3
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

160248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post

Can you simplify the output (usability) or make a legend which explains what is what?
Which specific items do you think need simplifying or further explanation?

Quote:
Also I think you have some redundancy in the output ...
Where, specifically?
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-11, 15:48   #4
lfm

Jul 2006
Calgary

52×17 Posts

Quote:

Can you simplify the output (usability) or make a legend which explains what is what? Also I think you have some redundancy in the output ...
One key is the vertical lines are significant separators of groups of figures.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-12, 19:34   #5
joblack

Oct 2008
n00bville

52×29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Which specific items do you think need simplifying or further explanation?

Where, specifically?
For instance, why are there none Status Unproven LL in the higher exponents. Why don't they show all Unproven LLs (they are free). The same is with Available LL ... the higher exponents are all available but aren't shown.

IMHO it's too complicated and too much information shown in the wrong way.

How about something like

Exponent Start Range_count P Composite Assigned Availabe (or left) ...
Old 2010-03-12, 23:36   #6
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×599 Posts

I'm wondering whether your browser is properly displaying the fixed-width font used for the table under the "Exponent Status Distribution" heading. If not, then all the alignments that are readily apparent to the rest of us might not be so apparent to you. Is that table displayed in a fixed-width font, or in a variable-width font, for you?

Check your browser settings for font displays. Do you have a default fixed-width font assigned? Do you have a setting that allows the font specified in the page's HTML to override your default?

Quote:
For instance, why are there none Status Unproven LL in the higher exponents.
Note that "Status Unproven" has three subdivisions: "LL", "LLERR", and "NO-LL". What I see is that most higher exponents are entirely in the "NO-LL" subdivision.

For instance, on the 999000000 line I see 23328 status-unproven exponents, all of them in the "NO-LL" subdivision. As a cross-check, I see that the number proven composite because they've been factored ("F") is 24629, and 24629+23328 = 47957 which is the total count in that range.

Quote:
Why don't they show all Unproven LLs (they are free).
On the 999000000 line, all of the 47957 exponents in that range are accounted-for in either the "Composite"-"F"(factored) subdivision, or the "Status Unproven"-"NO-LL" subdivision, so all are accounted-for ... but do you see them properly aligned with the headings as I do?

Quote:
The same is with Available LL ... the higher exponents are all available but aren't shown.
What I see is that all of the status-unproven _are_ available for the higher exponents, mostly in the TF subdivision of "Available".

(999000000 is an exception because it has 2683 currently assigned for TF, so only 20645 of the 23328 status-unproven exponents in this range are still "available". 20645 available + 2683 assigned = 23328 status-unproven, so all are accounted-for.)

Quote:
How about something like

Leaving out the "Status Unproven" category, which are the ones not yet definitely known to be composite or prime?

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2010-03-12 at 23:42
Old 2010-03-12, 23:53   #7
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×4,441 Posts

Quote:
I'm wondering whether your browser is properly displaying the fixed-width font used for the table under the "Exponent Status Distribution" heading. If not, then all the alignments that are readily apparent to the rest of us might not be so apparent to you. Is that table displayed in a fixed-width font, or in a variable-width font, for you?
Does it look like this? Click image for larger version

Name:	primenet.png
Views:	119
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	4838
If not try copying it to notepad.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 00:00   #8
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

11100000101002 Posts

(* sigh *) Will I ever catch up to the video/graphic generation, or be forever stuck in the '60s? (* sigh *) I really must hang out with my nephew more often.
Old 2010-03-13, 07:43   #9
lfm

Jul 2006
Calgary

42510 Posts

Quote:
For instance, why are there none Status Unproven LL in the higher exponents. Why don't they show all Unproven LLs (they are free).
When I see it, all the high ones ARE in the "status unproven/no-LL" group.

Quote:
The same is with Available LL ... the higher exponents are all available but aren't shown.
They aren't counted as available for LL tests till they have been thru the trial factoring tests.

Quote:
IMHO it's too complicated and too much information shown in the wrong way.

How about something like

maybe ... maybe not. It IS complicated at first. It takes a while to get it straight. All the info there IS useful to someone.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-13, 15:52   #10
joblack

Oct 2008
n00bville

52×29 Posts

Quote:
(* sigh *) Will I ever catch up to the video/graphic generation, or be forever stuck in the '60s? (* sigh *) I really must hang out with my nephew more often.
I like text (and command line) displays as well but if you need a lot of time to get hold of what's meant there is room for improvement. It's not that 'usable' in a usability point of view.

Perhaps the problem is that the guys who are programming the website are so into their field that they can't imagine that somebody doesn't find the output very informative (-I'm always astounished somebody thinks I'm doing magic on the command line-).

Another suggestion: How about including a simplified output for people who just want to know (can still be in text output):

- how many numbers are free
- how many numbers already taken

Some kind of 'prime essentials' output ^^

Last fiddled with by joblack on 2010-03-13 at 15:55
Old 2010-03-15, 14:09   #11
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

193316 Posts

I have to say that the display of stats at the top of the page
is a masterpiece of obfuscation.

If I could work out what the designer was trying to convey,
I would gladly suggest how to display it more transparently.

David

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2010-03-15 at 14:14
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote