mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Sierpinski Project

Old 2008-05-24, 09:17   #1
ltd

Apr 2003

22·193 Posts
Lightbulb double check server online

The DC server is now online for the public.
After a long testing phase with the help of Joe_O and VJS I decided to make the DC server public.

The purpose of the DC server is to check if we have problems with some ranges or machines or maybe even a problem with heat in the summer that gives us bad results.

To do this at the moment the server will hand out data from one k and will try to bring this k to the level of the first pass.

If we find a pattern for an error the server will be switched to make detailed tests in that range.

So you can expect that the size of the tests will change dramatically sometimes. For example the effort is at 2.19M at the moment but within the next 200 tests there will be another set of small tests around 1.6-1.8M.

If we find no interesting pattern the next step for the DC server will be to bring all k up to n=2M and see if that brings us more information.

To make it clear. We do not expect that we have a missed prime at the moment!!!!!
So the first priority for testing is still sieving (manual and BOINC based) and first pass PRP tests via llrnet, BOINC and manual reservation.

As the tests on the DC server are significant smaller at the moment this might be an oportunity for older machines.

For the stats freaks. The point value of a second pass test is identical to the value of the coresponding first pass test.

So now for the important part if you still want to help.
To run DC tests you need a clean copy of llrnet. You can do this by either downloading a new one or if you want you can also make a copy of your local llrnet installation. Attention you must run the DC effort in a seperate folder!!!
When you want to use a local copy make sure that you delete the following files from the folder: workfile.txt, tosend.txt, zXXXXX

Now open llr-clientconfig.txt and change/check the following entries:

server = "pspnet.no-ip.info"
port = 13984

-- username
username = "your username"

The only difference to the normal PSP server is the entry for port.
If you have problems with the DNS (which happens on some linux distributions) you can try the following:
server = "62.75.240.56"
At the moment i can not check if that really helps with the latest distros but it has in the past.

There are also online stats available for the DC effort:

http://www.psp-project.de/llrnetstatsdc.php

Last fiddled with by ltd on 2008-05-24 at 09:17
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-28, 17:37   #2
VJS

Dec 2004

13·23 Posts

FYI,

Most of that double checking was done using a heavily overclock q6600 which produced quite a few errors earlier. This was later sorted out with the help of Lars constantly sending me results back and forth.

With one core on a q6600 your going to produce at least 10 results per day.

It wouldn't take much to take the 1st place crown away from me at this point.

Second place is also a friends q6600 that he ran for a few weeks all four cores.

Stats near the bottom of this page.

http://www.psp-project.de/stats.html

Last fiddled with by hhh on 2008-05-28 at 19:55
VJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 02:39   #3
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3×7×53 Posts

server = "62.75.240.56"
port = 13984
username = "IronBits"
One core of a Q6600, stock, working here now. :)
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-08, 12:54   #4
ltd

Apr 2003

22×193 Posts

Small update on the DC progress.

After going public we have tested 110 pairs and within these pairs
we have a very good error rate.

We found 20 tests that needed a third test but i found out that
all of them had incompatilbe results due to usage of the old client
for the first test.

So within the first 110 tests we had NO real error.
Old 2008-07-06, 14:11   #5
ltd

Apr 2003

22×193 Posts

Update on the DC front.
June again brought a set of false positives due to usage of the older client.

There were no other errors so no reason to change the search strategy.

Beginning of this month there is a set of errors that needs some more investigation.

Thanks to everybody who did help to create those results.

Last fiddled with by ltd on 2008-07-06 at 14:11
Old 2008-07-08, 15:15   #6
ltd

Apr 2003

22×193 Posts

I have activated a set of around 850 tests in the range from 2M to 2.6M which look like having an error pattern. I do not expect many errors but better to remove all these tests now.

When we continue with k=168451 it is possible that we will find out that the error is still there at higher ranges.
Old 2008-07-22, 16:40   #7
ltd

Apr 2003

14048 Posts

We left the first zone which contained an error pattern. When cleaning up we did not find a prime but the high number of wrong results show that it was a good decission to retest the suspicious results. Thanks to all who did help.

In the next stage we will let our main dc test "k" run to 3.0M and look if the error continues and if so make another cleanup run.

In the background I am checking two other smaller possible error pattern but so far it is not clear if it is again a false positive or not.

One last question:

Do you like to be informed about the internal work this way or is it not so interesting and I can stop posting about it? Or what additional information would you like to see?

Last fiddled with by ltd on 2008-07-22 at 17:25
Old 2008-07-22, 17:18   #8
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
One last question:

Do you like to be informed about the internal work this way or is it not so interisting and I can stop posting about it? Or what additional information would you like to see?
Well, I for one find internal info like this quite interesting. It's always nice for users to know what's going on behind the scenes.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2008-07-22 at 17:18
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-22, 18:31   #9
Nekto

Jun 2008

2×3×5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
It's always nice for users to know what's going on behind the scenes.
+1
Nekto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 22:13   #10
ltd

Apr 2003

22·193 Posts

As you all are so fast running the DC server I had to change my mind in one point. The result from the last day show that the error pattern stops around 2.62M so i decided to make clean up run immediately.

To make sure that we run all the problematic tests I have activated tests up to 2.64M.

Once more thanks to everybody for the continued contribution.
Old 2008-08-09, 09:21   #11
ltd

Apr 2003

22×193 Posts

The next regular update.

After we left the region with the high error rate due to tests comming from one user there was another set of tests that needed a closer look.

But this time it was a false positive. There was only a set of tests that was done with the older client which had incompatible residues. The rest of the tests in this group will be double checked with the older client.

If we do not count the groups mentioned above our error rate is still less then 2%.