mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > YAFU

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-02-17, 20:36   #1
VolMike
 
VolMike's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Moscow,Russia

2058 Posts
Default Bug with particular large number

I found some bug in last version of YAFU_x64_64k in Win7.
YAFU stoppes with unhandled error while trying
factor(5236416251205655581276983781304293493778167548221438913831123517097).
Could anyone else confirm this problem?

Last fiddled with by VolMike on 2012-02-17 at 20:37
VolMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 20:39   #2
bsquared
 
bsquared's Avatar
 
"Ben"
Feb 2007

64158 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolMike View Post
I found some bug in last version of YAFU_x64_64k in Win7.
YAFU stoppes with unhandled error while trying
factor(5236416251205655581276983781304293493778167548221438913831123517097).
Could anyone else confirm this problem?
Yes, I see it too. I'll look into it - thanks.
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-17, 22:18   #3
Brian Gladman
 
Brian Gladman's Avatar
 
May 2008
Worcester, United Kingdom

523 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquared View Post
Yes, I see it too. I'll look into it - thanks.
This number does not cause any problems on my Windows 7 x64 version of YAFU.
Brian Gladman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 10:09   #4
VolMike
 
VolMike's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Moscow,Russia

7×19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gladman View Post
This number does not cause any problems on my Windows 7 x64 version of YAFU.
Try it several times (delete siqs.dat each time in order to prevent getting factorization from dat file) and once you'd probably get an error in siqs stage.

Last fiddled with by VolMike on 2012-02-18 at 10:09
VolMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 10:52   #5
Brian Gladman
 
Brian Gladman's Avatar
 
May 2008
Worcester, United Kingdom

10138 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolMike View Post
Try it several times (delete siqs.dat each time in order to prevent getting factorization from dat file) and once you'd probably get an error in siqs stage.
No failures in 10 runs with an x64 binary built from the SVN with Visual Studio 2010.
Brian Gladman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-18, 10:59   #6
VolMike
 
VolMike's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Moscow,Russia

2058 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Gladman View Post
No failures in 10 runs with an x64 binary built from the SVN with Visual Studio 2010.
Ok,thanks.

Last fiddled with by VolMike on 2012-02-18 at 10:59
VolMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-20, 15:49   #7
Stargate38
 
Stargate38's Avatar
 
"Daniel Jackson"
May 2011
14285714285714285714

613 Posts
Default

Weird. I also get an error when I try to factor 5236416251205655581276983781304293493778167548221438913831123517097. Why doesn't this number work in Yafu? I even tried rolling back to version 1.29. Here's the error I get:

Code:
 
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: yafu.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4ed799a7
Fault Module Name: yafu.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ed799a7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000000000001eee8
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 3365
Additional Information 2: 33654147fb0c2c75d9d3eaaf1fcc157a
Additional Information 3: 14fe
Additional Information 4: 14fe172b8c01b0bce213e14cb1111d45
Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409
If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Also, Why does Yafu 1.30 crash when I try to define the stage 1 bound for ECM (B1ecm) in the ini file?

Last fiddled with by Stargate38 on 2012-02-20 at 15:52
Stargate38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-20, 16:00   #8
bsquared
 
bsquared's Avatar
 
"Ben"
Feb 2007

13·257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate38 View Post
Weird. I also get an error when I try to factor 5236416251205655581276983781304293493778167548221438913831123517097. Why doesn't this number work in Yafu? I even tried rolling back to version 1.29. Here's the error I get:

Also, Why does Yafu 1.30 crash when I try to define the stage 1 bound for ECM (B1ecm) in the ini file?
Refer to http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpos...postcount=1135.

I am extremely pressed for time lately, but I'll try to get a bugfix release out.
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 05:13   #9
bsquared
 
bsquared's Avatar
 
"Ben"
Feb 2007

13×257 Posts
Default

I haven't made any progress on fixing this. Out of a 100 or so runs on a combination of systems (linux and windows, 32 and 64 bit) I saw it crash 4 or 5 times, twice with a "double free - corruption" error and 2 or 3 times with a seg fault. Haven't managed to catch it in a debugger yet. Are there any other test cases? Anyone else seen this or any other number mysteriously crash?
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 07:45   #10
Random Poster
 
Random Poster's Avatar
 
Dec 2008

24·11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquared View Post
I haven't made any progress on fixing this. Out of a 100 or so runs on a combination of systems (linux and windows, 32 and 64 bit) I saw it crash 4 or 5 times, twice with a "double free - corruption" error and 2 or 3 times with a seg fault. Haven't managed to catch it in a debugger yet. Are there any other test cases? Anyone else seen this or any other number mysteriously crash?
Run it under Valgrind on Linux; that can catch memory errors even if they wouldn't otherwise lead to a crash.
Random Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-27, 17:16   #11
bsquared
 
bsquared's Avatar
 
"Ben"
Feb 2007

1101000011012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
Run it under Valgrind on Linux; that can catch memory errors even if they wouldn't otherwise lead to a crash.
I had already tried that and Valgrind didn't find anything suspicious. I then wasted a lot of time trying to catch it in gdb, and once that happened, trying with no luck to find an issue (my gdb-foo is not strong).

But I tried valgrind again and finally saw a few illegal read/write errors, even though the program didn't crash. Allocating a structure a little bit bigger seems to have fixed the problem. At least, I've factored that number 100+ times now with no crashes.
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
checking very large number for primality. WhoCares Math 51 2017-04-20 17:17
Sieving a Large Number of k's Dougal Conjectures 'R Us 1 2010-06-17 21:48
How to compute a (large) Mersenne number Unregistered Math 22 2007-01-05 09:52
Large number of Exponents Assigned dave_0273 Data 2 2004-03-11 16:15
Is this a relatively large number? MavsFan Math 3 2003-12-12 02:23

All times are UTC. The time now is 18:42.

Mon Nov 23 18:42:42 UTC 2020 up 74 days, 15:53, 1 user, load averages: 3.14, 2.73, 2.57

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.