Old 2022-02-27, 15:35   #78
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

23×293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
Even if the possibility of a veto disappears, the countries must accept the precedence of International Law. Some countries refuse that or withdraw from treaties establishing it.

An example is the treaty concerning the International Criminal Court, two countries signed it and then withdrew their signature. Others never signed it.
According to my previous post, as-is right now in the UN-Charter, if more than 2/3 of the countries without Veto power vote in favor of a resolution in cases involving world security then any Veto is overturned. I assume that is the case with the last Vetoed-resolution.
Note that Russia has just placed its nuclear Arsenal at high alert. if that doesn’t threaten world peace then what does?
a1call is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-27, 16:25   #79
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

6,229 Posts

Putin orders deterrence forces - which includes nuclear arms - to be put on high alert
Quote:
Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered his country’s deterrence forces – which includes nuclear arms – be placed on high alert.
"Top officials in leading NATO countries have allowed themselves to make aggressive comments about our country, therefore I hereby order the minister of Defense and the chief of the General Staff [of the RF Armed Forces] to place the Russian Army Deterrence Force on combat alert," Putin said in televised meeting with Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu and chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces Valery Gerasimov.
"Yes, sir," replied Shoigu.

According to state news agency RIA Novosti, citing the Russian Ministry of Defense, the strategic forces "are designed to deter aggression against Russia and its allies, as well as to defeat the aggressor (inflicting defeat on him), including in a war with the use of nuclear weapons."
"Aggressive comments?" Yeah, sounds like a reason to start a nuclear war...
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-27, 18:22   #80
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2×3×1,229 Posts

And what are other nations and their leaders doing in response? Continuing to vacation and nap?
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-27, 19:53   #81
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

23·293 Posts

Quote:
Lyrics
In Europe and America there's a growing feeling of hysteria
Conditioned to respond to all the threats
In the rhetorical speeches of the Soviets
Mister Krushchev said, "We will bury you"
I don't subscribe to this point of view
It'd be such an ignorant thing to do
If the Russians love their children too
How can I save my little boy from Oppenheimer's deadly toy?
There is no monopoly on common sense
On either side of the political fence
We share the same biology, regardless of ideology
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too
There is no historical precedent
To put the words in the mouth of the president?
There's no such thing as a winnable war
It's a lie we don't believe anymore
Mister Reagan says, "We will protect you"
I don't subscribe to this point of view
Believe me when I say to you
I hope the Russians love their children too
We share the same biology, regardless of ideology
But what might save us, me and you
Is if the Russians love their children too
Source: LyricFind
a1call is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-27, 20:03   #82
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

6,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
And what are other nations and their leaders doing in response? Continuing to vacation and nap?
I can think of one leader I wish to heck had been on vacation or napping.

The last occupant of the White House is busily talking out of both sides of his mouth about the situation. The aggressor is "smart" and "savvy," and his declaring parts of Ukraine controlled by his stooges independent states "genius," while the victim is a "brave man."

I am absolutely disgusted. And, as a US citizen, deeply ashamed.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2022-02-27 at 20:04 Reason: xignif topsy
Old 2022-02-27, 20:22   #83
jwaltos

113208 Posts

I could have quoted (at least) several posts but decided not to since this post will encompass them. I'm presently on vacation and have watched few Netflix shows like "Sex Trade" and "No Go Zones." In the past I would have been a person tasked with potential "head-on" encounters with спецназ**..etc. Rather than six degrees of separation consider six degrees of insulation. I was disgusted with something my wife said regarding some Canadians in a hot tub posting tweets in opposition to Putin...great, thanks. For those (of us) with a few grey hairs and/or an appreciation of this and other events of global geopolitical import with the requisite on point sources of information, these and other potential events were always in the mix as are there potential outcomes. I just wonder if Vegas is booking odds on the various outcomes. For anyone who has an opinion, please back it up by action one way or another. Words are cheap whereas actions previal..at least temporarily.

Just as an aside, my wife saved a couple of "kids", twenty somethings who were pressured by their respective gangs to fight in NYC. She walked in between them (she's in her 60's..little old lady type but sharp and moral) and said in a loud tone "what do you think you're doing..etc.. etc.. I had visions of who, how and what I had to take out but it never came to that and those two kids were grateful. Consider the alternatives. My point here is that my wife was brave to a fault and did a good thing and I was prepared to back her up regardless. And this is just one example from many. Do something and risk something if it's important, otherwise you've decided it's not important enough by your actions.

** I also used the term Spetznaz using Google translate. Just to be clear, regardless of whatever nations "elite" military were engaged, whatever the fray, mission first and survival second would be the attitude shared all around. Included are satellites, undersea comm. systems...etc.. Jane's would be a good reference to understand certain aspects of what's taking place..never mind chemical, biological and other stuff.

Last fiddled with by jwaltos on 2022-02-27 at 20:39
Old 2022-02-27, 20:28   #84
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

5·29·31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
UK's Liz Truss, no doubt with the backing of The Lesser Lying Populist, has sanctioned mercenary action, Like all of her ilk she will not be donning a flak jacket and wielding an AK47. Instead pushing pawns to the front, to their death, is their measure.
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-27, 23:05   #85
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

24·32·7·11 Posts

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Leonard Cohen - First We Take Manhattan (Live in London)
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-28, 00:37   #86
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

3×7×479 Posts
Exclamation Say NO to war. Share the petition to stop the war

Say NO to war. Sign/share the petition to stop the war

P.S. the latest news make this thread a sister to the 'Nuclear security' topic.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-28, 15:52   #87
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

9EA16 Posts

I have heard there is some tension between Moscow and Beijing. Neither country is comfortable with such a huge neighbor on their border, so the story goes. A short headline: "China demands U.S. action to improve ties." Something related to Taiwan trade. This from Associated Press.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-28, 20:15   #88
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

6,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Say NO to war. Sign/share the petition to stop the war

P.S. the latest news make this thread a sister to the 'Nuclear security' topic.
Yes, I mentioned Putin's nuclear saber-rattling a few posts back in this thread. I had expressed some concern in this regard in this post and this post in the "Unclear Security" thread.

(There have also been news reports that Russian military equipment has been disturbing the soil in the Chernobyl exclusion zone, kicking a lot of gamma-emitting dust into the air, raising radiation levels.)

As to the petition: Alas, I am illiterate in Russian. "Translate this page" got me a "Server is misbehaving" error. I found what may be a translation of the petition into English. It's listed as a separate petition, with fewer than 100 signatures.

I was able to match up bits and pieces with the Russian. If it's reasonably accurate I'll sign the Russian version you link to. It has over a million signatures.
Quote:
On February 22, the Russian armed forces crossed the border and entered the territory of the eastern regions of Ukraine.

On February 24, the first attacks on Ukrainian cities were delivered at night.

All sorts of people in Russia spoke publicly about the categorical rejection of the war, about its fatality for the country. From the intelligentsia to retired colonel generals and experts of the Valdai Forum.

The same emotion sounded in different voices - horror at the very thought of the possibility of a new round of war between Russia and Ukraine. The horror caused by the realization that this could actually happen.

And so it happened. Putin ordered the start of a military operation against Ukraine, despite the terrible price that both Ukraine and Russia will undoubtedly pay for this war, despite all the voices of reason that sounded in Russia and beyond.

Official Russian rhetoric claims that this is done in "self-defense." But history cannot be deceived. The burning of the Reichstag was exposed, and today exposures are not required - everything is obvious from the very beginning.

We, supporters of peace, acting in the name of saving the lives of the citizens of Russia and Ukraine, in order to stop the outbreak of war and prevent it from escalating into a war on a planetary scale:

- we announce the beginning of the formation of the anti-war movement in Russia, and the support of any peaceful forms of anti-war protest;

- we demand an immediate ceasefire by the Russian Armed Forces, and their immediate withdrawal from the territory of the sovereign state of Ukraine;

- we consider as war criminals all those who made the decision to start hostilities in the east of Ukraine, sanctioned aggressive and war-justifying propaganda in the Russian media dependent on the authorities. We will seek to hold them accountable for their deeds. May they be damned!

We appeal to all sane people in Russia, on whose actions and words something depends. Become part of the anti-war movement, oppose the war. Do this if only to show the whole world that there were, are and will be people in Russia who will not accept the meanness perpetrated by the authorities, who have turned the very state and peoples of Russia into an instrument of their crimes.