Old 2022-02-26, 09:16   #68
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

23·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
If anyone watched the U.N. Security Council vote on Russia resolution, they would know what I am talking about.

Those who don't, look, this is a speech for the history textbooks (this is a speech after the vote was denied by the veto vote by the perpetrators themselves - the Russian Federation) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm9y9vP9xZw&t=5522s

CPAN had it live. I watched it live (together with the complete record). This is even stronger than the "there is no purgatory" speech.

You won't need a translator.

A very impressed and powerful speech. Common sense, to the point. I suppose we don't need translation for the Russian bit.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-26, 12:32   #69
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

2·17·101 Posts

A man crawls over the fence to his neighbor and violently attacks him and starts beating him. Outside on the street a big crowd is watching including many police officers, while the attacked man is getting more and more bloody.
"We cannot intervene, you are not a member of the group we can help, but here you can borrow a knife".
"You are a very bad man for attacking your neighbor shame on you! You are not allowed in my store, and you cannot join our sporting event".

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2022-02-26 at 12:33
ATH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-26, 13:04   #70
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

23·3·11·17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
A man crawls over the fence to his neighbor and violently attacks him and starts beating him. Outside on the street a big crowd is watching including many police officers, while the attacked man is getting more and more bloody.
"We cannot intervene, you are not a member of the group we can help, but here you can borrow a knife".
"You are a very bad man for attacking your neighbor shame on you! You are not allowed in my store, and you cannot join our sporting event".
A nice analogy, but when you are dealing a with a nuke-armed psychopathic megalomaniac, you have to try not to upset him.

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2022-02-26 at 13:10
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-26, 14:45   #71
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

5·11·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
A nice analogy, but when you are dealing a with a nuke-armed psychopathic megalomaniac, you have to try not to upset him.
Sort of like domestic politics in this country from January 20, 2017 until January 20, 2021...

EDIT: But I agree, you don't want to "upset" someone like that. The situation calls for another approach.

Like the approach Sherlock took toward Charles Augustus Magnussen in this video. Magnussen wasn't "upset"...

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2022-02-26 at 16:40
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-26, 16:52   #72
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

5×467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
I have actually been present in street fights when a crowd just watches. Then sometimes one observer decides he had enough and intervenes. This usually initiates the whole crowd joining in. Then if the attacker has any sanity, he stops, else you get a brawl. The latter in the world stage is usually referred to as WW-#. We learned enough from history to create UN. That was a good 1st step. Let’s now take the next logical step and eliminate the Veto-Power. That’s the only way to guarantee a sane collective response before we get a Global BRAWL-III.

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2022-02-26 at 16:53
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-26, 17:21   #73
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

5·11·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
If anyone watched the U.N. Security Council vote on Russia resolution, they would know what I am talking about.

Those who don't, look, this is a speech for the history textbooks (this is a speech after the vote was denied by the veto vote by the perpetrators themselves - the Russian Federation) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm9y9vP9xZw&t=5522s
<snip>
The statement addressed an issue I had been wondering about - how a country's UN Ambassador could be presiding over a session considering a resolution about his country. According to the rules, he shouldn't have been.

I had heard about a bridge being blown to impede the advance of Russian tanks. I had not previously heard that a Ukrainian had sacrificed himself in blowing the bridge.

China, India, and the United Arab Emirates "abstained" from the vote on the resolution.
Old 2022-02-26, 19:12   #74
a1call

"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

91F16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
We learned enough from history to create UN. That was a good 1st step. Let’s now take the next logical step and eliminate the Veto-Power. That’s the only way to guarantee a sane collective response before we get a Global BRAWL-III.
Quote:
It has been argued that with the adoption of the "Uniting for Peace" resolution by the General Assembly, and given the interpretations of the Assembly's powers that became customary international law as a result, that the Security Council "power of veto" problem could be surmounted.[37] By adopting A/RES/377 A, on 3 November 1950, over two-thirds of UN Member states declared that, according to the UN Charter, the permanent members of the UNSC cannot and should not prevent the UNGA from taking any and all action necessary to restore international peace and security, in cases where the UNSC has failed to exercise its "primary responsibility" for maintaining peace. Such an interpretation sees the UNGA as being awarded "final responsibility"—rather than "secondary responsibility"—for matters of international peace and security, by the UN Charter. Various official and semi-official UN reports make explicit reference to the Uniting for Peace resolution as providing a mechanism for the UNGA to overrule any UNSC vetoes;[38][39][40][41] thus rendering them little more than delays in UN action, should two-thirds of the Assembly subsequently agree that action is necessary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...is%20necessary.

Last fiddled with by a1call on 2022-02-26 at 19:15
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-27, 02:26   #75
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×72×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
The latter in the world stage is usually referred to as WW-#. We learned enough from history to create UN. That was a good 1st step. Let’s now take the next logical step and eliminate the Veto-Power. That’s the only way to guarantee a sane collective response before we get a Global BRAWL-III.
I personally fully agree with this position. The UN is effectively impotent in its current configuration. The veto must go. However... Let's be realistic... That's going to be about as easy as getting rid of the US of A's electoral college...

I found this The New York Times Opinion piece thought-provoking.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-27, 11:00   #76
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

76F16 Posts

Even if the possibility of a veto disappears, the countries must accept the precedence of International Law. Some countries refuse that or withdraw from treaties establishing it.

An example is the treaty concerning the International Criminal Court, two countries signed it and then withdrew their signature. Others never signed it.
S485122 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-27, 14:52   #77
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

5·11·113 Posts

I recall reading that in 1950, after the US had vetoed recognition of Mao Tse-Tung's government in China, the Soviet Union decided to boycott the UN in protest.

As a result, the USSR's delegation was not present in June 1950, when the UN considered a military response to North Korea's invasion of South Korea, and the decision to send in troops was therefore able to pass.

The Pope and His Tanks goes into the various attributions of a quotation generally attributed to Stalin,
Quote:
The Pope! How many divisions has he got?
One of the commenters claimed that Napoleon had told one of his ministers,
Quote:
Treat the pope as if he has 200000 men at his command.
I remember when, around 1980, the Polish Solidarność (Solidarity) movement, which began as a trade union, was sweeping the country. Moscow was exerting a great deal of pressure to force Poland to toe the Soviet line.

In February 1981 Pope John-Paul II wrote to the Kremlin that if the Soviet Union invaded Poland he would personally stand between the tanks and the Polish people. The Russians didn't invade.

But in December 1981 Poland's General Jaruzelski declared martial law. He may well have believed that the alternative was an extended visit by the Red Army.

Poland was still under martial law when, in 1983, the Pope made his second visit to Poland, his "Pilgrimage of Hope." An image of that visit which was burned into my mind was his being officially greeted at the airport by General Jaruzelski. Side by side, a man wearing a skullcap and a robe, and a general, head of the martial law authorities, resplendent in his uniform. The Pope was calmly making a few formal remarks. The general's knees were shaking.

Speaking of Poland, it has previously been mentioned that Kaliningrad Oblast, an isolated bit of Russia, borders Poland. Between Kaliningrad and the rest of Russia lie Belarus and Lithuania. This raises the issue of access between Kaliningrad and the rest of Russia. Belarus is presently no problem in that regard - it is ruled by Putin's stooges. Putin is using it as a staging area for invading Ukraine.

But Lithuania is a different question. The route from Belarus through Lithuania to Kaliningrad is the "Suwałki corridor," a narrow strip of land that goes through Lithuania. And Putin may consider Lithuania to be insufficiently servile....