mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2007-11-01, 01:58   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts
Default Would this make people mad?

I noticed that for the top-20 twin prime records, recorded with only the lower one listed, the same person holds claim to places 18, 19, and 20.

Would it be taken as cruel by the community(meaning people who are interested in prime number records) if I were to set a goal of knocking this person off the list? I don't have any form of personal hostility toward this person, I just want to see if I can claim the bottom of the record holders list for whatever amount of time.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 02:03   #2
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I noticed that for the top-20 twin prime records, recorded with only the lower one listed, the same person holds claim to places 18, 19, and 20.

Would it be taken as cruel by the community(meaning people who are interested in prime number records) if I were to set a goal of knocking this person off the list? I don't have any form of personal hostility toward this person, I just want to see if I can claim the bottom of the record holders list for whatever amount of time.
I don't see how it could be taken wrongly. Sounds fair enough to me. Although wouldn't it be simply easier to try to find three top-20 primes in general, in which case that person would probably be knocked off the list? I can't imagine why you would necessarily need to get a prime in near the bottom to do so.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-01, 06:26   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I don't see how it could be taken wrongly. Sounds fair enough to me. Although wouldn't it be simply easier to try to find three top-20 primes in general, in which case that person would probably be knocked off the list? I can't imagine why you would necessarily need to get a prime in near the bottom to do so.
Well, if I aim near the bottom, it's more likely that I will actually find a prime, and all of this person's primes are for n=66,666. The way prime-searching works I'd probably have to take all 3 numbers down a notch, or not make the list at all.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote