Old 2020-12-30, 20:16   #1211
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

25·33·5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
A couple of different items:

Some of you know my sister works at the local hospital with COVID patients. I received a message from her last night saying she had her first vaccine shot on December 22. The next is January 11. No side effects so far. She indicated this usually comes after the second dose. So, time will tell.
Fingers crossed here. And (taps fist on head) knock on wood...

Quote:
NBC News made a statement that they believe it will take a decade to get enough people vaccinated to control the spread. This seemed really odd to me until I considered a global effort. Many people in third-world countries, like in Africa and Asia, may never be vaccinated.
A little googling turned up the 10-year figure for the US in This WAPO opinion piece. The 10-year figure is definitely of the "if present trends continue" variety. (my emphasis)
Quote:
Opinion by
Leana S. Wen
Contributing columnist
Dec. 29, 2020 at 8:18 p.m. UTC

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on Monday that 2.1 million doses of coronavirus vaccines have been administered in two weeks. While this might sound like an impressive number, it should set off alarms.

Let's start with the math. Anthony S. Fauci, the government's top infectious-disease doctor, estimates that 80 to 85 percent of Americans need to be vaccinated to reach herd immunity. Both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines require two doses. Eighty percent of the American population is around 264 million people, so we need to administer 528 million doses to achieve herd immunity.

At the current rate, it would take the United States approximately 10 years to reach that level of inoculation. That's right — 10 years. Contrast that with the Trump administration's rosy projections: Earlier this month, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar predicted that every American will be able to get the vaccine by the second quarter of 2021 (which would be the end of June). The speed needed to do that is 3.5 million vaccinations a day.
There is, however, more to the piece. In particular, Dr. Wen (yes, she's got an MD) notes
Quote:
Here's what concerns me most: Instead of identifying barriers to meeting the goal, officials are backtracking on their promises. When states learned they would receive fewer doses than they had been told, the administration said its end-of-year goal was not for vaccinations but vaccine distribution. It also halved the number of doses that would be available to people, from 40 million to 20 million. (Perhaps they hoped no one would notice that their initial pledge was to vaccinate 20 million people, which is 40 million doses, or that President Trump had at one point vowed to have 100 million doses by the end of the year.) And there's more fancy wordplay that's cause for concern: Instead of vaccine distribution, the administration promises "allocation" in December. Actual delivery for millions of doses wouldn't take place until January, to say nothing of the logistics of vaccine administration.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-30, 21:47   #1212
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

25×33×5 Posts

Colorado Guardsman has 1st reported US case of virus variant (my emphasis)
Quote:
DENVER (AP) — The first person in the U.S. known to be infected with a new and apparently more contagious variant of the coronavirus was identified Wednesday as a Colorado National Guardsman who had been sent to help out at a nursing home struggling with an outbreak. And health officials said a second Guard member may have it, too.
<snip>
"The virus is becoming more fit, and we're like a deer in the headlights," warned Dr. Eric Topol, head of Scripps Research Translational Institute. He noted that the U.S. does far less genetic sequencing of virus samples to discover variants than other developed nations do, and thus was probably slow to detect this new mutation.
<snip>
The confirmed case is in a Colorado man in his 20s who hadn’t been traveling, officials said. He has mild symptoms and is isolating at his home near Denver, while the person with the suspected case is isolating at a Colorado hotel while further genetic analysis is done on his sample, officials said.
Huh. I wonder whether the outbreak in the nursing home was the new strain.

I thought "Operation Warp Speed" was about COVID vaccine, but I guess it's actually about getting people infected as quickly as possible. The vaccination program, like a lot of this Admin's efforts, is "Operation Clusterfk."
Old 2020-12-31, 12:29   #1213
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

25·33·5 Posts

Wisconsin health system: Worker deliberately spoiled vaccine
Quote:
GRAFTON, Wis. (AP) — A Wisconsin health system said Wednesday that 500 doses of coronavirus vaccine that had to be discarded after they were left unrefrigerated now appear to have been deliberately spoiled by an employee.
<snip>
In a statement late Wednesday, Aurora said the employee involved "today acknowledged that they intentionally removed the vaccine from refrigeration."

Aurora’s statement said they had fired the employee and referred the matter to authorities for further investigation.
<snip>
Old 2020-12-31, 16:00   #1214
storm5510
Random Account

"Norman D. Powell"
Aug 2009
Indiana, USA.

111010100102 Posts

My sister had to go to a regional hospital in Jeffersonville, IN, to get her first dose. This is across the Ohio River from Louisville, KY, for those not familiar with the geography. I have driven this before. On a good day, it is an hour and a quarter drive to get there. This absolutely will not fly with the general population here. They will expect this to be done at the local hospital, and I see no reason why it cannot be done.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-12-31, 19:15   #1215
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10000111000002 Posts
Default As if 2020 wasn't bad enough already...

I just got an Email from my uncle. He and his wife (my aunt), both in their nineties, are living together in an assisted-living facility.

They have both been struggling with coughs and loss of appetite since Christmas. He has a low-grade fever.

Both were tested for COVID-19. His test came back positive, hers negative.

Their conditions haven't changed much since Monday.
Old 2020-12-31, 20:28   #1216
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

26116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I just got an Email from my uncle. He and his wife (my aunt), both in their nineties, are living together in an assisted-living facility.

They have both been struggling with coughs and loss of appetite since Christmas. He has a low-grade fever.

Both were tested for COVID-19. His test came back positive, hers negative.

Their conditions haven't changed much since Monday.
If there is noone nearby physically who can act as an advocate and you want to help, you must resolve to be their remote advocate. Even if someone is nearby, touch base with them to get more details. Most people are quite timid when dealing with medical staff.
After working at a hospital for 20 years and having both my parents die in an assisted-care living facility you may want to check:

(1) what is their current treatment regime?
(2) has a doctor been consulted to see if they should go to a hospital ?
(3) don't take any crap from any petty martinets that "you are asking for confidential information" ( yes, I know all about HIPPA ).
(4) you may want to have your aunt or uncle sign a paper giving you HIPPA rights which may grease the wheels when dealing with any staff,
(5) If you feel any medical staff is being evasive or blowing smoke up your butt, ask to speak with their supervisor.
(6) Write down names so you can keep the cast of characters straight.
(7) If the staff is being totally obnoxious ( Big Nurse ), become a prick.

My brother and I battled medical staff nearly every day while my parents were horribly ill.

Good luck.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-01, 00:11   #1217
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

25·33·5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
If there is noone nearby physically who can act as an advocate and you want to help,
<snip>
Thanks for all the info. One never knows what one will need to know.

Not to worry, though - they have immediate family all over this.
Old 2021-01-01, 00:48   #1218
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10E016 Posts

Followup to this post about the deliberately spoiled vaccine: Wisconsin hospital worker arrested for spoiled vaccine doses (my emphasis)
Quote:
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Authorities arrested a suburban Milwaukee pharmacist Thursday suspected of deliberately ruining hundreds of doses of coronavirus vaccine by removing them from refrigeration for two nights.
<snip>
Police in Grafton, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) north of Milwaukee, said the Advocate Aurora Health pharmacist was arrested on suspicion of reckless endangerment, adulterating a prescription drug and criminal damage to property, all felonies. The pharmacist has been fired and police said in a news release that he was in jail. Police did not identify the pharmacist, saying he has not yet been formally charged.

His motive remains unclear. Police said that detectives believe he knew the spoiled doses would be useless and people who received them would mistakenly think they'd been vaccinated when they hadn't.
Being a real-deal pharmacist in the US is no small achievement. It takes a Doctor of Pharmacy degree and years of professional pharmacy study. If the suspect was indeed a pharmacist, that is over.
Old 2021-01-01, 01:14   #1219
storm5510
Random Account

"Norman D. Powell"
Aug 2009
Indiana, USA.

2·937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
...It takes a Doctor of Pharmacy degree and years of professional pharmacy study. If the suspect was indeed a pharmacist, that is over.
I was told this is one of the most difficult degrees to obtain. Strangely enough, a DVM (veterinarian) is also extremely difficult. More so than a family practice physician. Unlike MD's, vets deal with many animal types, and not just one. They are held to very high standards as MD's are.

Sorry for drifting off-topic...
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-01, 08:25   #1220
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·3·1,013 Posts

The Plague Year. The mistakes and the struggles behind America’s coronavirus tragedy
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-01, 12:42   #1221
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

10000111000002 Posts

Are you kidding me? An article about the things the good ol' USA got right dealing with COVID-19 might be of reasonable length. An article about the mistakes would take the whole issue!

Oh, wait...