Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2015-11-07, 06:09   #1607
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

110000010112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
My partner and I are a family, sir.
I didn't say you weren't. Did you read the article I linked too? It might change how you interpret my last sentence.
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 06:17   #1608
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

100111101011002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta-Flux View Post
I didn't say you weren't. Did you read the article I linked too? It might change how you interpret my last sentence.
Even the title of that blog is grossly offensive. Your input here, has been subtle, to not-so-ubtle bigotry. The piece to which you refer is paean to hatred and discrimination. These ideas of family control and patriarchal domination are highly repulsive.

What kind of "loving god" can you claim to follow, sir? Who set you and you hateful sect in judgement of the world? What odious hubris.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 09:36   #1609
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7×467 Posts

At least not everyone in the LDS agrees with this latest odious hubris:

http://www.mormonsformarriage.com/wh...iage-equality/
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 13:04   #1610
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13·89 Posts

Quote:
chappy,

I suppose I should post some context, from the LDS position. The following link it to what I believe to be a fair assessment of the policy change from our point of view: Blog post explaining the change.

The LDS church takes family very seriously.
I had already read that blog before I posted here. But, thanks for providing more context. I just reject the notion that the average same-sex family is likely to behead their child for any reason.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 15:57   #1611
davar55

May 2004
New York City

23·232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy View Post
I had already read that blog before I posted here. But, thanks for providing more context. I just reject the notion that the average same-sex family is likely ... for any reason.
Religion is THE problem, d*mn it.
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 16:01   #1612
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

60B16 Posts

Quote:
Even the title of that blog is grossly offensive. Your input here, has been subtle, to not-so-ubtle bigotry. The piece to which you refer is paean to hatred and discrimination. These ideas of family control and patriarchal domination are highly repulsive.
I'm sorry you thought that the title of the blog had to do with accepting patriarchy or unrighteous (male) domination. It doesn't. The blog owner is a woman who disputes the worldly idea that women need to be misbehaved.

But as is common course here, I'm often falsely accused of lying, bigotry, and a host of other misbehaviors. So I'll bow out once again, as I think that the blog post clearly puts forth our position for those who aren't bent on finding fault.

Quote:
What kind of "loving god" can you claim to follow, sir? Who set you and you hateful sect in judgement of the world? What odious hubris.
In scouts this week, one of the scouts started calling another scout hurtful names. When I started talking to him, to correct the behavior, he said in essence "Stop judging me." It is quite easy to think that making moral judgements on behavior means one is condemning the person, but that is not necessarily the case. Love often means correction. I find the fact that God often corrects me as a sign of his love.

Anyway, I'm out.
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 16:04   #1613
davar55

May 2004
New York City

23·232 Posts

Quote:
In scouts this week, one of the scouts started calling another scout hurtful names. When I started talking to him, to correct the behavior, he said in essence "Stop judging me." It is quite easy to think that making moral judgements on behavior means one is condemning the person, but that is not necessarily the case. Love often means correction. I find the fact that God often corrects me as a sign of his love.
Anyway, I'm out.
Judge the religion, not the religious.
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-12, 15:39   #1614
wblipp

"William"
May 2003
New Haven

3×787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davar55 View Post
Religion is THE problem, d*mn it.
I don't know. It looks to me like intolerance of other religions is the problem. Why should I care that there is a religion that teaches homosexuality is wrong? At least as long as it isn't my religion, and they don't have legal or coercive power over non-members? The LDS statement blandly recognizes same-sex marriage is the law of the land and is inconsistent with their doctrines. So is coffee drinking. These are among the many doctrinal issues that mean LDS is never going to be my church - but I don't have a problem with other people choosing these things.

It may be interesting to watch this evolve over time, though. Many religions have been struggling with these issues, at least in part because societal acceptance has been emptying closets, and people have had to recognize that "they" are "us." There is some indication that male homosexuality is correlated with birth order, and Mormons have larger than average families. If correct, their community will have a larger than average number of their own children being shut out. Social barriers will continue to fall, Mormon closets will empty, and they will need to deal with that. Perhaps like they dealt with polygamy and black membership.
wblipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-12, 15:51   #1615
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblipp View Post
I don't know. It looks to me like intolerance of other religions is the problem. Why should I care that there is a religion that teaches homosexuality is wrong?
At least as long as it isn't my religion, and they don't have legal or coercive power over non-members?
But they do or will have POLITICAL power with respect to laws that get passed.

Denial of rights to a minority because of religious beliefs should never be put to
a vote.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-12, 17:29   #1616
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

236548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
But they do or will have POLITICAL power with respect to laws that get passed.

Denial of rights to a minority because of religious beliefs should never be put to
a vote.
Exactly. Thanks, Bob.
LDS, and/or its members and supporters poured lots of money into the California Proposition 8 campaign. Let's just say that they were not on the side of human rights.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-12, 19:25   #1617
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2×1,877 Posts

Quote:
LDS, and/or its members and supporters poured lots of money into the California Proposition 8 campaign. Let's just say that they were not on the side of human rights.
I remember my ire when they did that. It exacerbated my already existing dislike of external influences and money in politics.

Also in Utah, Judge Orders Baby Removed From Lesbian Couple
Quote:
Ashley Sumner, a spokeswoman for the Utah Division of Child and Family Services, said the order had raised concerns. She added the agency was not aware of any issues with the couple's performance as foster parents.

The couple plan to fight the ruling.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote