Old 2015-07-28, 20:26   #67
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7·467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta-Flux View Post
I'm not sure anyone here noticed, but I didn't post anything last week because I spent all week at scout camp (yep, I'm an assistant scoutmaster).
That's great. You'll know, then, that the questions you asked about physical attraction are irrelevant when we are talking about responsible scout masters like you.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-28, 20:32   #68
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7×467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
The change is not as it seems. This article explains why.

We are not sure our work was invaluable but we do hope it was helpful.

We still have an issue with the Religious Declaration.

Some people want the gender ban lifted. We are not sure what the right answer is for that issue but we are willing to be educated.

Hmm, I see, clearly there's a lot of work still to be done before the BSA can be a positive organisation for all its members. More people like you are needed within it... but I do understand that you can only perform within the limits of the ethos of the Scouts. It's such a shame.
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-29, 00:35   #69
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

7×13×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
That's great. You'll know, then, that the questions you asked about physical attraction are irrelevant when we are talking about responsible scout masters like you.
I wouldn't trust my daughters to repeatedly be on overnight campouts with only two male leaders. Physical attraction is extremely relevant.
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-29, 08:30   #70
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

25×331 Posts

Quote:
I wouldn't trust my daughters to repeatedly be on overnight campouts with only two male leaders. Physical attraction is extremely relevant.
Would you trust your sons (assuming you have any) to be repeatedly on overnight campouts with only two female leaders?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-29, 14:51   #71
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

30138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Would you trust your sons (assuming you have any) to be repeatedly on overnight campouts with only two female leaders?
When they are teenagers, no I wouldn't.
Old 2015-07-29, 17:53   #72
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

25·331 Posts

Quote:
When they are teenagers, no I wouldn't.
Teenager sons, or teenager female leaders?

Would your answer differ if the teenagers were daughters or male leaders?
Old 2015-07-29, 22:39   #73
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

7·13·17 Posts

Paul,

Sorry, I only used the word "teenager" to make it clear we are talking about teenage children (it makes no difference whether they are sons or daughters), because there are entirely different issues with leaving young children alone with non-parent adults overnight.
Old 2015-07-30, 00:31   #74
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

24·499 Posts

Are you saying you wouldn't trust your daughters or you wouldn't trust the leaders?

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-30, 02:13   #75
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

7×13×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Are you saying you wouldn't trust your daughters or you wouldn't trust the leaders?

I wouldn't trust the situation.

I'm assuming you all don't have kids, because for me this is a no-brainer. You don't put kids and adults (even kids and adults you trust) into compromising situations.
Old 2015-07-30, 04:18   #76
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

236548 Posts

Quote:

I'm assuming you all don't have kids, because for me this is a no-brainer. You don't put kids and adults (even kids and adults you trust) into compromising situations.
As a kid (11-12), I was in such a situation several times, in the context of the BSA. In particular, in the middle 60s, with all male juvenile and adult participants, at least at night.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-30, 07:39   #77
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

25·331 Posts

Quote:

It's a matter of public record that, as far as I know, I don't have any kids of my own. Kids, from small babies to teenagers, have been left in my care on a number of occasions. Neither I nor their parents were in any way apprehensive about the situation.