mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-01-13, 23:47   #1
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB316 Posts
Default No aliens detected by SETI because radio sucks?

I was reading one of my scifi novels I recently bought and it had an interesting idea in it. It wasn't about aliens, but because it involved quantum entanglement, the inventor of the quantum entanglement device in the book considered the possibility that the reason we've never detected alien transmissions before is because our technology is simply a stepping stone to better stuff.

If aliens use quantum entanglement to communicate, obviously SETI would be useless to detect it. Even if it is detectable, we don't know how to detect it, so the communications would be invisible to us.

Thoughts?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 23:57   #2
ET_
Banned
 
ET_'s Avatar
 
"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

25·151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I was reading one of my scifi novels I recently bought and it had an interesting idea in it. It wasn't about aliens, but because it involved quantum entanglement, the inventor of the quantum entanglement device in the book considered the possibility that the reason we've never detected alien transmissions before is because our technology is simply a stepping stone to better stuff.

If aliens use quantum entanglement to communicate, obviously SETI would be useless to detect it. Even if it is detectable, we don't know how to detect it, so the communications would be invisible to us.

Thoughts?
Communication is a matter of energy.
SETI program searches a very specific and narrow electromagnetic band.

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 00:12   #3
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

22·5·17·19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
Communication is a matter of energy.
SETI program searches a very specific and narrow electromagnetic band.
Not only that, but the band being searched is based upon various assumptions about life. IMO, I don't expect it to ever find signs of ETI. Of course if ETI were discovered, that would be life changing for everyone on the planet. I wonder how Creationists would react to such an event...
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 00:21   #4
kracker
 
kracker's Avatar
 
"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

32·241 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I wonder how Creationists would react to such an event...
They would say God made them too!
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 02:24   #5
chappy
 
chappy's Avatar
 
"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13·89 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
They would say God made them too!
I disagree, normal thinking progressive Christians would say that God made them. Creationist types would say that they are a product of Satan meant to fool us into unbelief.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 04:41   #6
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24·613 Posts
Default

Better we don't find them, and they don't find us. If we find each-other, there are two possibilities:

1. They eat us.
2. We eat them.

Our history is full of examples when two civilizations met and the most advanced one destroyed the other. There is no example of "peaceful cohabitation" before the cannons talked. Think Magellan in Pacific (what an irony, the name he gave to the ocean means "peaceful"). Think Columbus. Think Vespucci.

If a god did something right, then the only thing he have done right is the (huge) distances he put between civilizations. Like big distances between the continents, forbidding developed side of the world to find and totally kill "the others". We found them when the level of culture and civilization was enough high that the most of us understood that we can live in peace and learn from each other. Unfortunately, the guys who found them were adventurers, greedy to get rich, etc, and not representative for the society at that time, or "the others" did not understand and did not want to be "civilized", so they let the cannons and bows speak first. The bows which could kill persons, and the cannons which could destroy houses, compared to the distance between continents. The technology today is so advanced we can destroy planets. Compare that to the distance we can travel to do so, and see there will be long time before we meet someone else...

And eat them....

Or they eat us....

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2013-01-14 at 04:42
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 05:09   #7
kladner
 
kladner's Avatar
 
"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts
Default

++1
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 09:07   #8
akruppa
 
akruppa's Avatar
 
"Nancy"
Aug 2002
Alexandria

2,467 Posts
Default

-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calvin and Hobbes - Intelligent Life.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	9124  
akruppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 09:52   #9
cmd
 
cmd's Avatar
 
"(^r'°:.:)^n;e'e"
Nov 2008
;t:.:;^

17478 Posts
Talking drin...drinnnnnnn

+=

Quote:
Originally Posted by akruppa View Post
-
cmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 09:53   #10
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24×613 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akruppa View Post
-
ROFL! Wonderful! And so true!
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone know of radio stations that play full songs, but NEVER radio edits? Stargate38 Lounge 6 2015-07-24 19:38
Moblin sucks if you like privacy jasong Linux 0 2011-02-18 00:10
Linux sucks - linker problems Prime95 Linux 6 2010-12-20 19:39
Aliens. mfgoode Puzzles 7 2006-05-26 07:10
A little Seti moo Lounge 12 2005-12-21 21:18

All times are UTC. The time now is 17:57.


Sun Nov 28 17:57:55 UTC 2021 up 128 days, 12:26, 0 users, load averages: 1.36, 1.78, 1.59

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.