mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2013-01-13, 23:47   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB316 Posts
Default No aliens detected by SETI because radio sucks?

I was reading one of my scifi novels I recently bought and it had an interesting idea in it. It wasn't about aliens, but because it involved quantum entanglement, the inventor of the quantum entanglement device in the book considered the possibility that the reason we've never detected alien transmissions before is because our technology is simply a stepping stone to better stuff.

If aliens use quantum entanglement to communicate, obviously SETI would be useless to detect it. Even if it is detectable, we don't know how to detect it, so the communications would be invisible to us.

Thoughts?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 23:57   #2
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

25·151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I was reading one of my scifi novels I recently bought and it had an interesting idea in it. It wasn't about aliens, but because it involved quantum entanglement, the inventor of the quantum entanglement device in the book considered the possibility that the reason we've never detected alien transmissions before is because our technology is simply a stepping stone to better stuff.

If aliens use quantum entanglement to communicate, obviously SETI would be useless to detect it. Even if it is detectable, we don't know how to detect it, so the communications would be invisible to us.

Thoughts?
Communication is a matter of energy.
SETI program searches a very specific and narrow electromagnetic band.

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 00:12   #3
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

22·5·17·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET_ View Post
Communication is a matter of energy.
SETI program searches a very specific and narrow electromagnetic band.
Not only that, but the band being searched is based upon various assumptions about life. IMO, I don't expect it to ever find signs of ETI. Of course if ETI were discovered, that would be life changing for everyone on the planet. I wonder how Creationists would react to such an event...
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 00:21   #4
kracker

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

32·241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I wonder how Creationists would react to such an event...
They would say God made them too!
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 02:24   #5
chappy

"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

13·89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
They would say God made them too!
I disagree, normal thinking progressive Christians would say that God made them. Creationist types would say that they are a product of Satan meant to fool us into unbelief.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 04:41   #6
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24·613 Posts

Better we don't find them, and they don't find us. If we find each-other, there are two possibilities:

1. They eat us.
2. We eat them.

Our history is full of examples when two civilizations met and the most advanced one destroyed the other. There is no example of "peaceful cohabitation" before the cannons talked. Think Magellan in Pacific (what an irony, the name he gave to the ocean means "peaceful"). Think Columbus. Think Vespucci.

If a god did something right, then the only thing he have done right is the (huge) distances he put between civilizations. Like big distances between the continents, forbidding developed side of the world to find and totally kill "the others". We found them when the level of culture and civilization was enough high that the most of us understood that we can live in peace and learn from each other. Unfortunately, the guys who found them were adventurers, greedy to get rich, etc, and not representative for the society at that time, or "the others" did not understand and did not want to be "civilized", so they let the cannons and bows speak first. The bows which could kill persons, and the cannons which could destroy houses, compared to the distance between continents. The technology today is so advanced we can destroy planets. Compare that to the distance we can travel to do so, and see there will be long time before we meet someone else...

And eat them....

Or they eat us....

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2013-01-14 at 04:42
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-14, 05:09   #7
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts

++1
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote