mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2020-08-22, 03:59   #122
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

90010 Posts
Default Got good CERT result but Prime95 keeps trying...

I got a good result from this CERT and the result was successfully uploaded; Ben's original PRP now is highlighted in green.

But on my screen it says MD5 starting value does not match and keeps retrying the same CERT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cert.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	505.6 KB
ID:	23134  
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 09:25   #123
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

2·3·5·167 Posts

Hi Chuck, yesterday I got the same issue but on my side the client managed to abort the task on first attempt and now I’m doing CERT work. Haven’t done anything, just let the client manage by itself. The only tweaks I have on my setup is 100% request time for CERT, unlimited bandwidth.
A side note, what CPU are you using, my old machine takes 7 days to LL DC at 50M exponents and 2 hours for CERT at 98M.
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 09:31   #124
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·3,169 Posts

Can I ask why CERT work is considered enough of a priority to interrupt the usual PRP? It makes the estimated completion times completely useless, and introduces extra overhead in saving and reloading so often.

Is this a server resource limitation? Or are we just trying to give the original tester a warm fuzzy when the CERT is validated quickly?

We used to leave confirmation of LL tests for many years. Why the sudden haste now?
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 09:53   #125
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

25×3×101 Posts

Perhaps they purge the savefile from the server once the verification is complete?
It is a big chunk of disk to keep for many years.
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 10:31   #126
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

633810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
Perhaps they purge the savefile from the server once the verification is complete?
It is a big chunk of disk to keep for many years.
Sure, many years is difficult to manage. But can it wait until the current PRP is completed and then work on any pending CERTs?
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 12:39   #127
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

22×32×52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
Hi Chuck, yesterday I got the same issue but on my side the client managed to abort the task on first attempt and now I’m doing CERT work. Haven’t done anything, just let the client manage by itself. The only tweaks I have on my setup is 100% request time for CERT, unlimited bandwidth.
A side note, what CPU are you using, my old machine takes 7 days to LL DC at 50M exponents and 2 hours for CERT at 98M.
I just deleted the CERT from my worktodo file since it had already completed successfully.

Using an Intel I7-7800x; takes about 30 hours to do a DC and 30 minutes for a CERT.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 13:57   #128
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009

72×41 Posts

If we retired LL and LL-DC now, the amount of work needing done would remain large. LL-DC's would need to pass through PRP as a first-time test to get to a certification. Any way you want to slice it, the time required could be years. However, it would all eventually catch up as PRP-DC no longer exists.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 16:36   #129
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

110111100012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Can I ask why CERT work is considered enough of a priority to interrupt the usual PRP? It makes the estimated completion times completely useless, and introduces extra overhead in saving and reloading so often.

Is this a server resource limitation? Or are we just trying to give the original tester a warm fuzzy when the CERT is validated quickly?

We used to leave confirmation of LL tests for many years. Why the sudden haste now?
Good posting IMHO.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 17:57   #130
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

25·35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post

Yes, it is a server resource issue. I don't want to be in the position of having tens of thousands of large CERT files on the server.

If the interruptions are annoying, set the daily download limit to 12MB and you'll get one Ben Delo cert per day (or several PRP-CF certs). You can also set options to only get wavefront CERTs (see undoc.txt: exponent range of 80M and up should do) if you find the PRP-CF interruptions particularly annoying.

Not coded yet on the server, but I'm thinking of a 5-day expiration for CERTs.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 20:33   #131
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

177710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
(or several PRP-CF certs)
Why should people get involved in CF work ?
When looking at what is done, it seems not very well organised : people certifying many times that a CF is not prime.
CF has little to do with GIMPS. I do understand that some want to find factors (even if one project is setting aims that are not rational.) No problem with that (their kit, their power, their strife...) But why should "ordinary" users of PrimeNet be forced, by default, to participate in that work ?

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-22, 20:53   #132
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

25·35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
Why should people get involved in CF work ?
When looking at what is done, it seems not very well organised : people certifying many times that a CF is not prime.
CF has little to do with GIMPS. I do understand that some want to find factors (even if one project is setting aims that are not rational.) No problem with that (their kit, their power, their strife...) But why should "ordinary" users of PrimeNet be forced, by default, to participate in that work ?
Fair question. GIMPS main goal is finding new Mersenne primes, but it also is a learn all we can about Mersenne numbers. In that regard, PRP-CF is GIMPS related, but I agree its a niche project.

What do others think? I could easily change the default to only cert exponents over 50M unless you've signed up for PRP-CF work. It would be more work, but I could also try handing out PRP-CF certs in batches of 5 or 10 for less interruptions.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote