Old 2015-04-15, 18:20   #1
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

243110 Posts
Default people with administrator access to PrimeNet

As far as I know, the following users have administrator access to the PrimeNet server:
  • George (Prime95)
  • Scott (Old Man PrimeNet)
  • James Heinrich
  • Madpoo

Am I missing anyone?

Last fiddled with by Batalov on 2015-04-16 at 16:20 Reason: FTFY
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-15, 19:24   #2
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100111110010112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
As far as I know, the following users have administrator access to the PrimeNet server:
  • George (Prime95)
  • Scott (Old Man PrimeNet)
  • Chris (chalsall)
  • Madpoo

Am I missing anyone?
James Heinrich has admin rights. I, on the other hand, do not.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-16, 14:13   #3
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

332410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
That's correct. George, Scott, James, and myself.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-24, 19:12   #4
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

E1116 Posts

Quote:
I have adminion rights -- I can FTP in and fix PHP code, but if it's something to do with httpd or the database, I have no idea what I'm doing... That stuff is strictly for George or Aaron.
James Heinrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-24, 19:30   #5
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

61×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Heinrich View Post
I have adminion rights -- I can FTP in and fix PHP code, but if it's something to do with httpd or the database, I have no idea what I'm doing... That stuff is strictly for George or Aaron.
Sincerely just wondering... Does Windows have something like SSH, where one can administer a machine remotely using only a text console?
Old 2015-04-24, 19:41   #6
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

3·1,327 Posts

Quote:
Sincerely just wondering... Does Windows have something like SSH, where one can administer a machine remotely using only a text console?

PuTTY
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-24, 19:45   #7
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

13·277 Posts

Remote Desktop
At least that seems to be the method I've seen used in a small number of places that I've been exposed to it, including PrimeNet. I'm not sure how much of Windows can be administered from the command-line. Some of it, certainly, but I'm not sure if it's 100% GUI-independent.

PuTTY is certainly a useful client-side tool for use on Windows, but I'm not sure that Windows has any built-in server to talk to or if you need to install a 3rd-party SSH server.
Old 2015-04-24, 20:36   #8
TObject

Feb 2012

34·5 Posts

Up to Windows Server 2008 R2 the main method of administering was through GUI (which can be accessed with remote desktop services). For later versions of Windows Server the official main method of administering is PowerShell, it is a kind of command prompt, which is available locally or through “remoting.”
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-24, 22:53   #9
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

61×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
Up to Windows Server 2008 R2 the main method of administering was through GUI (which can be accessed with remote desktop services). For later versions of Windows Server the official main method of administering is PowerShell, it is a kind of command prompt, which is available locally or through “remoting.”
Thanks for that information. Although I choose to never work with Windows (server or client) personally, this is useful knowledge when speaking to those who do. And I wasn't explicit -- I meant how to admin Windows servers using a command-line interface; Putty is, of course, a very useful Windows client to SSH into serious (read: Unix based) machines...

Separately... Does anyone know how to access PowerShell from Windows 7 et al? I was trying to help debug an issue with OpenVPN from a Windows 7 machine a few months ago, and I wanted to open a shell to try a "telnet [HOST] [PORT]" and ping and traceroute etc. to see if a firewall was causing the issue.

Click, click, click... Click, click, click... CLICK, CLICK, CLICK!!! "Where the f' is the shell?!?!? How can anyone work without shell access!?!?!?!"

I ended up using Internet Exploder to do a simplified test ("http://[HOST]:[PORT]'), but surely there's a better way...?
Old 2015-04-24, 23:09   #10
James Heinrich

"James Heinrich"
May 2004
ex-Northern Ontario

1110000100012 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone know how to access PowerShell from Windows 7 et al? I was trying to help debug an issue with OpenVPN from a Windows 7 machine a few months ago, and I wanted to open a shell to try a "telnet [HOST] [PORT]" and ping and traceroute etc. to see if a firewall was causing the issue.
"Windows PowerShell" is sitting in my Win7 start menu, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding it. Located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe if you want to go looking for it.

But of course you can also just Start -> Run -> cmd.exe and you can get a good old command prompt.

Oh, and Telnet is by default not installed in Windows 7 and newer...

Last fiddled with by James Heinrich on 2015-04-24 at 23:09
Old 2015-04-24, 23:10   #11
TObject

Feb 2012

34×5 Posts

All versions of Windows have a feature called “Command Prompt,” it is under “All Programs–Accessories” on the “Start” menu.
It is the original shell access for Windows that works similar to the old DOS Command prompt.

PuTTY also supports regular telnet. So, if you already got PuTTY, you can use it for telnet as well as SSH.

Last fiddled with by TObject on 2015-04-24 at 23:20
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote