Old 2010-06-10, 20:31   #1
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Liverpool (GMT/BST)

3·5·397 Posts
Default Chess

Not including maths and computers I would say chess is probably what I enjoy most. The last two years I have won joint third at ESC and a couple of weeks ago I competed at ISC.
Anyone else here play chess in their spare time? Does anyone want a game on an online chess website?
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 01:08   #2
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

2×3×5×109 Posts

There will certainly be many people interested in chess here and a quite a few who play regularly, I think.

These days I don't play much over-the-board (but I used to fanatically). However I still play online on the ICC frequently: my handle there is the same as here, Brian-E. Do you play there, Henry? Do others here also have accounts on the ICC or other online servers?

Last fiddled with by Brian-E on 2010-06-11 at 01:11 Reason: added link
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 08:22   #3
Oddball

May 2010

49910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
There will certainly be many people interested in chess here and a quite a few who play regularly, I think.

These days I don't play much over-the-board (but I used to fanatically). However I still play online on the ICC frequently: my handle there is the same as here, Brian-E. Do you play there, Henry? Do others here also have accounts on the ICC or other online servers?
I used to play chess once a week or so a few years ago, but I haven't played much recently. I don't take it seriously enough to make an ICC account worth the cost, but I do play games on FICS (Free Internet Chess Server) once in a while.

Quote:
Anyone else here play chess in their spare time? Does anyone want a game
If the mods don't object, we could make this into a correspondence chess thread. I'll start off with the ever popular...

1.) e4
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 08:38   #4
Oddball

May 2010

1111100112 Posts

At the risk of dragging this thread off topic, I'd like to mention that I looked through the old online tournaments on FICS. Most of the ratings aren't special, but a few of them are pretty awesome. Take a look:

http://www.freechess.org/Events/Sche...1128.1900.html

"(1) AnotherSunnyMoo 2229 5.0/5.0"

"(1) AMoodyCow 2311 4.5/5.0"

http://www.freechess.org/Events/Sche...1220.1501.html

"(1) Moothecow 2520 3.0/3.0"

Do these usernames all belong to the same person? Is there a slim possibility that one or all of them post on this forum? The most likely forum members would be mdettweiler (slogan below is "A Sunny Moo"), Spherical Cow, MooooMoo, and moo. The only thing for certain is that it's not me; I'm not even close to being that good in chess.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 15:54   #5
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
At the risk of dragging this thread off topic, I'd like to mention that I looked through the old online tournaments on FICS. Most of the ratings aren't special, but a few of them are pretty awesome. Take a look:

"(1) AnotherSunnyMoo 2229 5.0/5.0"

"(1) AMoodyCow 2311 4.5/5.0"

http://www.freechess.org/Events/Sche...1220.1501.html

"(1) Moothecow 2520 3.0/3.0"

Do these usernames all belong to the same person? Is there a slim possibility that one or all of them post on this forum? The most likely forum members would be mdettweiler (slogan below is "A Sunny Moo"), Spherical Cow, MooooMoo, and moo. The only thing for certain is that it's not me; I'm not even close to being that good in chess.
Moothecow might be MooooMoo, who I believe had that as his email address. But I haven't ever been to that website. "A Sunny Moo" was assigned to me as a joke by Xyzzy a while back; it's a long story. I never knew where it came from--but this may shed some insight into it. (Perhaps it's some literary or movie reference that I'm not familiar with and someone else happened to pick an account name based on the same reference on the chess website.)
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 17:08   #6
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

4,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
"A Sunny Moo" was assigned to me as a joke by Xyzzy a while back; it's a long story. I never knew where it came from...
I always just assumed it was a play on Anonymous (a-nonny-mous, a-sunny-moo) without a specific source.
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 18:22   #7
Raman
Noodles

"Mr. Tuch"
Dec 2007
Chennai, India

3·419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Not including maths and computers I would say chess is probably what I enjoy most. The last two years I have won joint third at ESC and a couple of weeks ago I competed at ISC.
Anyone else here play chess in their spare time? Does anyone want a game on an online chess website?
I am ready to play with you. Please fix up a time when you will be free to play, maybe tomorrow, rather? Places for playing are Yahoo Games, ChessBase website (not working for me till now). If you have that Chessmaster 10th edition CD, we could connect to each other directly at any time. I would rather prefer up with that way, in online connection methods.

A few posts about chess puzzles for me is being pending as of now...
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-11, 18:55   #8
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Liverpool (GMT/BST)

3×5×397 Posts

It seems to me that we all play different chess websites
I would like to suggest that games are played by email chess of something like that so that we dont have to register to yet more sites(already on 2). I do have that version of chessmaster raman and it would be nice to organize a game at somepoint although when on the computer i prefer correspondance chess(with the longest time limit available at the site but not often used). Timezones are also difficult.

edit: I play chessmaniac.com and redhotpawn.com which also is called timeforchess.com

Last fiddled with by henryzz on 2010-06-11 at 18:57
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 05:09   #9
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

23·1,051 Posts

Quote:
Anyone else here play chess in their spare time?
For a long time we have been reluctantly coaching the neighborhood elementary school's chess club.

Being thoroughly spanked by 3rd through 5th graders is a lesson in humility.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 11:03   #10
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
Anyone else here play chess in their spare time?
I retired shortly after my draw with Korchnoi.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 08:21   #11
Xyzzy

Aug 2002

23·1,051 Posts

We are thinking of using a chess theme for a vanity license plate for our car. The obvious "CHECKM8" is available but it seems a bit too smarmy to us.

We are thinking of "1 D4 F6" or "D4 F6" since we play Black all of the time and the vast majority of our games we (try to) push towards a hypermodern position.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote