mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

View Poll Results: How often do you get to borg others' PCs?
Always/most of the time 3 12.50%
Sometimes 9 37.50%
Never/rarely 9 37.50%
I never bothered to borg other people's computers 3 12.50%
I never ask for permission 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-12-25, 08:06   #1
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

11·13·17 Posts
Default borging other people's computers

As we know, we're supposed to get permission before installing Prime95 (or any other DC client) on computers we don't own. That having been said, how successful have you been in getting other people to join GIMPS or let you install Prime95 on their computers?

Here are my experiences:

1) When I was in 12th grade, one of my teachers got a new 1.2 GHz computer, which was very fast for its time. I tried to convince her to let me install Prime95, but she woudn't trust any software downloaded from the Internet, thanks to the idiots who have nothing better to do than writing viruses.

2) My father doesn't want "unnecessary" programs on his laptop; he complains that it's slow enough already, and he even told me to remove Prime95 from one of his older computers, which he had previously given me permission to borg. On the other hand, he gave me the go-ahead to put Prime95 on an office computer that he never uses.

3) I got one of my cousins to join a DC project, and she chose FightAIDS@Home. I could have convinced her to join GIMPS, but since the computer was hers, I felt that the right thing to do was to make it clear that GIMPS wasn't the only option. However, she said no to re-joining a DC project after upgrading to Windows 7 (which erased everything), citing that her hard drive was "full."

4) I recently got a job, and I was told that I could install anything I wanted on my company-issued laptop, provided that it does not "screw up" the system. I took that as a "yes."

Last fiddled with by ixfd64 on 2010-12-25 at 08:21
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 19:44   #2
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

So far I have a grand total of two computers that I've borged, more or less successfully. Both are in my own household; while I'm not the machine's owner in either case, being the most computer-knowledgeable individual in the house I'm in charge of installing and running system software as needed. One computer is a Q6600 desktop, the other a Pentium Dual-Core laptop.

I installed four LLRnet clients (later changed to PRPnet--for the uninitiated, these are client applications commonly used by the projects in the "Prime Search Projects" section of the mersenneforum) on the Q6600 when I initially set up the operating system. The owner is not actually aware of the installation, but would likely not have a problem with it (since, after all, the clients do have a good use besides crunching: if they ever start crashing, that'll be a pretty good indication that the CPU has become unstable).

The laptop owner is also unaware of the installation, but I haven't been using that machine for crunching very much since on a laptop, it actually starts to impinge in the user's experience (unlike on a desktop where it can go entirely unnoticed) what with the thing getting so hot it can hardly sit on a lap any more. (Not to mention that it's on standby a lot anyway so I'd hardly get any useful CPU time out of it.)
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 20:03   #3
em99010pepe

Sep 2004

2·5·283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
So far I have a grand total of two computers that I've borged, more or less successfully. Both are in my own household; while I'm not the machine's owner in either case, being the most computer-knowledgeable individual in the house I'm in charge of installing and running system software as needed. One computer is a Q6600 desktop, the other a Pentium Dual-Core laptop.

I installed four LLRnet clients (later changed to PRPnet--for the uninitiated, these are client applications commonly used by the projects in the "Prime Search Projects" section of the mersenneforum) on the Q6600 when I initially set up the operating system. The owner is not actually aware of the installation, but would likely not have a problem with it (since, after all, the clients do have a good use besides crunching: if they ever start crashing, that'll be a pretty good indication that the CPU has become unstable).

The laptop owner is also unaware of the installation, but I haven't been using that machine for crunching very much since on a laptop, it actually starts to impinge in the user's experience (unlike on a desktop where it can go entirely unnoticed) what with the thing getting so hot it can hardly sit on a lap any more. (Not to mention that it's on standby a lot anyway so I'd hardly get any useful CPU time out of it.)
Things we all should do...
em99010pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-25, 20:48   #4
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by em99010pepe View Post
Things we all should do...
As a general rule, yes; but in this case, there's a lot of computer software stuff on both machines (antivirus programs, etc.) that I manage for the owners and which they would not particularly care to hear the details of. The PRPnet clients fall under the same category. They trust me to handle the nitty-gritty details of making sure their computer is working right, which in this case would include making sure that it's used to the fullest. (If, on the other hand, I wished to borg the computer of someone with whom I did not have such a relationship of trust, I would of course run it by them first.)

Theoretical conversation:
Me: I've installed a program on your computer that searches for large prime numbers.
Owner: Uh...it does what?
Me: The upshot is, it uses the spare processing power of the CPU and can give me some advance warning if the CPU becomes unstable.
Owner: I see...what does it do again?
Me: It calculates large prime numbers with your computer's spare power that you're not using.
Owner: And...why would you want it to do that?
Me: Well, one of the more practical upshots is that it can tell me if your computer isn't quite working right.
Owner: Hmm. Well, you just take care of that then.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 15:46   #5
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

10,193 Posts

I always ask permission from my clients, and have always received it.

In addition to being able to detect hardware problems and/or other software suddenly consuming an unusual amount of CPU...

...another benefit is having the computer regularly communicate with my server in case it gets stolen....
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-26, 16:16   #6
SysadmAtNbg

Dec 2010
Nürnberg, Germany

3 Posts

I have the proposal placed on work: other administrators were enthusiastic but the management was against it because of "security reasons".
Now sometimes "stress tests" and "burn ins" be made by the admins ...
SysadmAtNbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 04:49   #7
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

45778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SysadmAtNbg View Post
Now sometimes "stress tests" and "burn ins" be made by the admins ...
You know, that's not such a bad idea. Since Prime95 has gained a reputation as a popular stress testing tool, it may be easier to convince people to let you install it. After all, we're just using Prime95 for its intended purpose - finding Mersenne primes.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-29, 14:56   #8
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

19×263 Posts

We have had good luck convincing our kids to let us run it on their PCs. Generally it is because they realize they know they can get me to help them when they have problems with their PC.

My wife is also very supportive in my desire to grow the team and helps recruit when she can.

That being said their have been a few cases where I/we "assumed" permission when we were doing work on the PC anyway:
- 2 were immediate family (neither noticed or complained. Though 1 is almost never on)
- 1 was a good friend of one of our kids who let her borrow the laptop during a hospital stay. The friendship fizzled and the PC stopped reporting in a few months later. He may have found Prime95 but more likely he reinstalled or replaced the LapTop.
- 2 were shared test PCs at work. 1 was discovered by other members of the group while we were on vacation. The PC's fan was running too loud. It took them a while to find and they were somewhat annoyed when we returned.

Presently we are running Prime95 on:
- 4 PCs in our home (2 Quads, 2 PIVs)
- 5 PCs of our kids (1 Quad, 4 Dual Core LapTops)
- 3 PCs at work (3 Dual core PCs)
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 11:10   #9
sonjohan

May 2003
Belgium

2×139 Posts

1. At university, we had a computerroom for our study-group. I borged all PC's there, no questions asked.
2. At work (some years ago), I had prime run on my USB stick. Boy, what fun it was when I was the first with a dual-core... Not doing it anymore (for now ;-) )
3. Borged my grandmother's PC at the start. A P3. She didn't start it up enough.
4. Parents refuse... 'slows down too much'. Well, P-1 was quite slow back when we shared the same PC(mine), especially with Max RAM settings.
sonjohan is offline   Reply With Quote