mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Puzzles

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-10-21, 02:39   #23
0scar
 
Jan 2020

2×11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMersenne View Post
I really doubt that it will come anywhere close to July20.
I wish I could call you "pessimistic".
Looking at the past three years, Oct20 seems somehow similar to Nov17, another "find-constrained-algorithm" challenge. Nov17 was actually solved by 23 people only.
On the other hand, both Oct20 and July20 deal with linear-recurrenced sequences, candidate solutions can be analyzed with similar linear algebra methods.

About CHAOS, I found it useful to know that the following kind of instruction is permitted:
30 CHAOS 30, 40, 50, ...
so that the control flow graph has an edge from a one-line block to itself.

Last fiddled with by 0scar on 2020-10-21 at 02:47 Reason: Typos
0scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-21, 06:47   #24
Dieter
 
Oct 2017

6116 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0scar View Post
I wish I could call you "pessimistic".
Looking at the past three years, Oct20 seems somehow similar to Nov17, another "find-constrained-algorithm" challenge. Nov17 was actually solved by 23 people only.
On the other hand, both Oct20 and July20 deal with linear-recurrenced sequences, candidate solutions can be analyzed with similar linear algebra methods.

About CHAOS, I found it useful to know that the following kind of instruction is permitted:
30 CHAOS 30, 40, 50, ...
so that the control flow graph has an edge from a one-line block to itself.
But that isn't necessary! There are solutions for both problems (0,2,2,... and 1970) without using this trick.
Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-21, 11:10   #25
0scar
 
Jan 2020

2×11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
But that isn't necessary! There are solutions for both problems (0,2,2,... and 1970) without using this trick.
I agree at 100% with you.
Had it been necessary, writing it would have been too spoiling.
I only wrote that I found it useful (shorter code, faster reaching 1970)
0scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-21, 12:42   #26
Dieter
 
Oct 2017

97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0scar View Post
I agree at 100% with you.
Had it been necessary, writing it would have been too spoiling.
I only wrote that I found it useful (shorter code, faster reaching 1970)
How fast? My fastest is 1970 = 10th value of the sequence, but I search no more.
Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 09:41   #27
0scar
 
Jan 2020

2·11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
How fast? My fastest is 1970 = 10th value of the sequence, but I search no more.
The "trick" itself is just one more degree of freedom in writing code.
Of course I can remove all "tricky" edges from my solutions; the easiest way requires to keep the same number of incoming/outcoming edges by adding suitable nodes as new sources/destinations, which means some more CHAOS lines.
As an example, the length of my 7-step bonus solution grows from 17 to 19, not a problem, but I judge the "tricky" version more efficient.
So far, I found no "untricky" solutions which fit both the 6-step and the 20-line constraints.
0scar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
October 2019 Xyzzy Puzzles 21 2019-11-07 13:13
October 2016 R. Gerbicz Puzzles 10 2016-11-01 13:35
October 2015 LaurV Puzzles 3 2015-11-02 15:22
October 2014 Xyzzy Puzzles 8 2014-11-02 19:03
13 October is approaching! Joe O Prime Sierpinski Project 1 2010-10-09 06:12

All times are UTC. The time now is 01:17.

Sat Oct 31 01:17:16 UTC 2020 up 50 days, 22:28, 2 users, load averages: 2.27, 2.08, 1.96

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.