mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Data

Old 2015-09-16, 14:23   #34
Gordon

Nov 2008

7648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEMPLLA Author View Post

Also, apologies to George for calling his software "twenty years old" in another forum - I was completely ignorant of the fact that it was still being maintained at all - my bad. Anyone who's written software that people are still using twenty years after its creation deserves better than that kind of offhand (and decidedly uninformed) remark. So, sorry about that George.
Which proves beyond all doubt that you clearly haven't extensively researched this area AT ALL.

You sir are a charlatan and a scammer.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 15:51   #35
Gordon

Nov 2008

22×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
And now I'll add the comment that was bugging me... "Billy Rubin"? I guess that's an alias (hey, my name isn't really "Madpoo"), but installing software written by fictional serial killers seems off-putting. But then, why take advice from someone named "Madpoo"... doesn't make sense either.
Bilirubin - is basically what makes sh*t brown...
Old 2015-09-16, 15:52   #36
wombatman
I moo ablest echo power!

May 2013

33118 Posts

Also the cause of jaundice in babies

In looking up what the phototherapy actually does to ameliorate the jaundice, I found that it causes an isomerization of the bilirubin that makes the bilirubin more soluble in water and thus easier to pass out of the baby's system. Really neat stuff.
wombatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 16:00   #37
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

1BF016 Posts

Quote:
So the "64-bit residue" is just the least significant quad word of the last iteration's remainder, prefixed by the 32-bit Mersenne Prime exponent? Is it usually presented in hexadecimal format, and/or stored as a 96-bit number?
Here is the output from prime95:

M34163669 is not prime. Res64: 80B623C5884701E0

And here from CUDALucas:

M( 59754283 )C, 0x6586d1e8247885ac

The format isn't important. The server stores this in its database as 32-bit exponent and 16 character string. The residue standard was started long before GIMPS, dating back to at least the 1980s.

Quote:
I'm thinking that, for the reasons you and Prime95 have outlined (quite well, I might add), a far better approach might be to display, at the end of the LLT, not just the result of the LLT, but the "64-bit residue" (unless it's a prime), and as much information as would satisfy even the most ardent of skeptics. Perhaps a whole array of residues. So if I added a "Details" button to the LLT result display, what would some interested party be interested in seeing if and when they pressed that button?
The exponent, the residue. That's the critical info.

You might add total runtime or time per iteration. Whatever you think the user might find useful. This is what prime95 displays every 100000 iterations as it calculates:

[Sep 16 09:53] Iteration: 17600000 / 37621183 [46.78%], roundoff: 0.090, ms/iter: 16.531, ETA: 3d 19:56

But now were talking about polish issues rather than critical functionality.

Quote:
Anyway, lot's more to say, and no time left in the day to say it. I need to get some things done (unrelated to any of this), so I may be gone for a bit.. Sure hope I don't get a zillion responses in the interim :)
I'm sure there will be plenty more comments. Ignore the tone of the replies, but pay attention to the underlying feedback. I know you are excited and eager to get started. This task takes great patience and attention to the details is what keeps users in it for the long run.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 16:15   #38
Gordon

Nov 2008

7648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post

I'm sure there will be plenty more comments. Ignore the tone of the replies, but pay attention to the underlying feedback. I know you are excited and eager to get started. This task takes great patience and attention to the details is what keeps users in it for the long run.
You don't seriously believe this guy do you?

Software that requires 5 Nvidia GPU's to run? How about 5 old G 8400 GS's (2.1 Ghz day/day), which one of my GTX-9 cards can pummel into submission by a factor of 50 plus?

Everything about it says scam, had no reply to list giving him the chance to explain in detail why certain protection features were required to be turned off, or what it propses to connect to without us knowing.

The silence is deafening.
Old 2015-09-16, 19:22   #39
CEMPLLA Author

Sep 2015

7 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
And now I'll add the comment that was bugging me... "Billy Rubin"? I guess that's an alias (hey, my name isn't really "Madpoo"), but installing software written by fictional serial killers seems off-putting. But then, why take advice from someone named "Madpoo"... doesn't make sense either.
Yes, it's an "alias", but I'd rather call it a "pen name". "Bilirubin" is a little-known neural antioxidant - it inhibits the growth of viruses in the human brain.. Kind of like what I try to do.. But I don't take it too seriously..
CEMPLLA Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 19:53   #40
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

327410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
...Channeling my internal RDS
...(sorry RDS, I know this is your phrase )
Shh... don't you know if you say his name (or even his initials) 3 times, he'll show up to haunt you, like Beetlejuice, Bloody Mary and Candyman?
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-16, 20:11   #41
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

2×1,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
1. Explain why it must be run as administator
2. Explain why virus checking must be disabled
3. Explain why wddm whatever must be turned off.
4. What web sites the software will try to connect to, where it is hosted and who the registrant is
5. SOURCE code - because at the moment you simply come across as trying to get us to install your bitcoin mining software.
If I knew the download link I'd be tempted to try it out on a sandboxed PC I keep for just such occasions. It doesn't have GPU's but I'd be curious to see what else it does, and whatever that other non-GPU thing was that he mentioned (MPCG).

I keep my sandbox handy because sometimes I need to run something and monitor the network traffic in/out, and it's isolated enough where I'm not concerned about worms necessarily, and it's easily restorable to a known state.

So if Mr. Mod wants to PM me the original link (or if someone else has it) I can try it out and see if it seems dangerous on the surface.
Old 2015-09-16, 20:13   #42
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar

Jul 2014

CCA16 Posts

Quote:
Bilirubin - is basically what makes sh*t brown...
Which is exactly why Hannibal Lecter thought that was a funny joke to play on Agent Starling in "Silence of the Lambs".

Okay, I admit I haven't actually read the book and I don't think the movie really mentions that, but the association with bilirubin itself made me Google the name because I thought it was an odd name to have. LOL
Old 2015-09-16, 20:36   #43
Gordon

Nov 2008

22·53 Posts

Quote:
Yes, it's an "alias", but I'd rather call it a "pen name". "Bilirubin" is a little-known neural antioxidant - it inhibits the growth of viruses in the human brain.. Kind of like what I try to do.. But I don't take it too seriously..
And your answers to this list?

1. Explain why it must be run as administator
2. Explain why virus checking must be disabled
3. Explain why wddm whatever must be turned off. - especially when Nvidia recommend you leave it turned on

Not airy-fairy crap, detailed technical explanations

4. What web sites the software will try to connect to, where it is hosted and who the registrant is
5. SOURCE code - because at the moment you simply come across as trying to get us to install your bitcoin mining software.
Old 2015-09-16, 20:41   #44
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

24×3×149 Posts

Quote:
You don't seriously believe this guy do you?
Irrelevant. If he has created a decent implementation he deserves encouragement. If it is substantially slower than CUDALucas, no harm done -- maybe he will go on to write a CUDA program that is faster than CUDALucas.

Quote:
Software that requires 5 Nvidia GPU's to run?
I'm sure it would run on fewer, just slower.

Quote:
Everything about it says scam, had no reply to list giving him the chance to explain in detail why certain protection features were required to be turned off, or what it propses to connect to without us knowing.
I am unfamiliar with the problem he is trying to work around. I don't have any multi-GPU systems. You've let him know that such a restriction will be a dealbreaker for a subset of his target audience. This will encourage him to find another way.

Let me turn the scam angle around on you. If you were to design a bitmining or whatever scam, would you target the microscopically small audience of big prime hunters with 5 GPUs? Would you go to the trouble of learning what an LL test is and be knowledgable about EFF awards?

That said, if I had a 5 GPU system I would let someone else be the guinea pig in testing, validating, and benchmarking the software.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote