mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Old 2015-07-31, 20:48   #1
Chuck

May 2011
Orange Park, FL

5·173 Posts
Default My Windows 10 GPU experience

Now that this is finished, the problems seem silly. But at the time, it was perplexing for a moment.

After the Windows 10 installation was complete, something looked wrong with the display; the resolution was too low, almost like being in safe mode. I had no GPUs. I soon realized that the NVIDIA driver I had been using was not Windows 10 compatible and the GPUs were not picked up at boot time, and I was running on the motherboard display adapter.

As soon as I went to the NVIDIA site and downloaded the current driver (353.62 for my GTX 690s) all was ALMOST well. I also had to install an updated EVGA PrecisionX fan control utility.

So save yourself some problems and update before making the move to Windows 10.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 01:02   #2
Gordon

Nov 2008

3·167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Now that this is finished, the problems seem silly. But at the time, it was perplexing for a moment.

After the Windows 10 installation was complete, something looked wrong with the display; the resolution was too low, almost like being in safe mode. I had no GPUs. I soon realized that the NVIDIA driver I had been using was not Windows 10 compatible and the GPUs were not picked up at boot time, and I was running on the motherboard display adapter.

As soon as I went to the NVIDIA site and downloaded the current driver (353.62 for my GTX 690s) all was ALMOST well. I also had to install an updated EVGA PrecisionX fan control utility.

So save yourself some problems and update before making the move to Windows 10.
Or save yourself all the grief, leave well alone and don't even consider it until 10.1 comes out AND you can disable the auto update feature in the Home edition....
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 01:09   #3
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Or save yourself all the grief, leave well alone and don't even consider it until 10.1 comes out AND you can disable the auto update feature in the Home edition....
I don't do enough to make it seem any different myself for the most part I've had a little fun using the browser's highlight function and seen the programmer setting in the calculator but not much else except looking around and doing what I usually do. edit: attached an image I made using the new browser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EDGE.png
Views:	102
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	12925  

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2015-08-01 at 01:11
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 12:06   #4
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

23·3·72 Posts

It's not only the auto update function on W10 home I have a problem with. Also the W10 and update delivery (it uses P2P by default, if you don't disable it) . Also Microsoft gets a lot of data from W10 users send automatically if you don't disable it (much like when you use Google search). Those kind of things should be opt-in, not opt-out. I don't want to reward them for benefitting from the average ignorant user.
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-03, 00:39   #5
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

2×13×443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictordeHolland View Post
It's not only the auto update function on W10 home I have a problem with. Also the W10 and update delivery (it uses P2P by default, if you don't disable it) . Also Microsoft gets a lot of data from W10 users send automatically if you don't disable it (much like when you use Google search). Those kind of things should be opt-in, not opt-out. I don't want to reward them for benefitting from the average ignorant user.
Indeed - I hope would-be Win10 users like having their every movement spied on and every keystroke logged. and re. opt-out, unless you're a computer security expert, ya gotta take their word for it that those widgets actually trigger a behavioral change of the OS, don't you?

The Surveillance State Goes Mainstream: Windows 10 Is Watching (& Logging) Everything
Quote:
[A]s one privacy expert exclaimed, "there is no world in which 45 pages of policy documents and opt-out settings split across 13 different Settings screens and an external website constitutes 'real transparency'."
They should just stop weasel-wording and start calling it the non-Privacy Statement.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote