Old 2010-01-02, 18:43   #1
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·13·227 Posts
Default PRPNet 3.0.0 Released

I have finally released PRPNet 3.0.0.

This is a beta release. I can only do so much testing of the various ways in which people will use it. Clients do not need to update, but I recommend that if you are using a pre-2.4 client that you upgrade. I intend to remove support for 2.3 prior releases of the client in a future release.

Note that this is a significant release on the server side. I think that about 80% of the server code was rewritten to support MySQL and multi-threading. I have done a lot of testing on Windows and OS X. Those features appear to be working.

As for minor clean-up, I suggest using the new prpserver.ini file. Many options have been removed from the old ini file.

Upgrading is relatively simple. d/l and install MySQL (http://www.mysql.com). Create a new database, connect to it with the mysql tool then run the create_tables.sql script. Use the -u option with the prpserver executable to import the prpserver.candidates and userstats.ini files into the database. After you have verified the correctness of the database, restart the server with no command line options. The server will connect to the database directly through the driver, so a DSN is not required (or supported for that matter, although that could change). Modify the mysql.ini file in the server directly to point to your database. BTW, I also recommend that the mysql root user has a password. Although the PRPNet server has code to allow that password to be blank (the mysql default), it has not been tested.

I recommend upgrading slowing (one server every day) so that any bugs that crop up can be quickly addressed. Once bugs have been ironed out, I will open up to requests for new features.

I also fixed the SMTP issue, although I forgot mention it in the release notes.

Finally, the server_stats page looks completely different. It has a lot more data than it used to have. I am very open to splitting that page into two because it currently looks really cluttered.

You can d/l it from http://home.roadrunner.com/~mrodenki...pnet_3.0.0.zip
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 19:25   #2
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts

Nice work! I don't have much experience with MySQL but I imagine I should be able to get it set up for PRPnet with a little Googling. I'll try it on my personal server first and then, if that works well, upgrade the public ones gradually as you suggest.

BTW, is there an procedure inverse to the -u option that lets the server write its database content out to plain text files? That would be quite handy when moving a server from one machine to another (which we'll need to do in the near future with all our NPLB servers).

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2010-01-02 at 19:25
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 19:52   #3
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×13×227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Nice work! I don't have much experience with MySQL but I imagine I should be able to get it set up for PRPnet with a little Googling. I'll try it on my personal server first and then, if that works well, upgrade the public ones gradually as you suggest.

BTW, is there an procedure inverse to the -u option that lets the server write its database content out to plain text files? That would be quite handy when moving a server from one machine to another (which we'll need to do in the near future with all our NPLB servers).
MySQL has the ability to export/import databases. Here is one page that shows the command: http://www.clockwatchers.com/mysql_dump.html
rogue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 20:11   #4
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
MySQL has the ability to export/import databases. Here is one page that shows the command: http://www.clockwatchers.com/mysql_dump.html
Thanks, that looks like it will do the trick nicely.
Old 2010-01-03, 00:43   #5
Lennart

"Lennart"
Jun 2007

25·5·7 Posts

I am now loading a big file into DB using -u

But i cant get it to load with prpadmin.

This is on Win. have not started on Linux yet.

Lennart
Lennart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 00:43   #6
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

B2416 Posts

Followed all the instructions. I can see the database thru the MYSQL tool and even see the structure of the tables. When I start the prpserver, I get this.

[2010-01-03 00:31:22 GMT] ODBC Connection String: <Driver={MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver};Server=localhost;Port=3306;Database=C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\data\prpnet;User=root;Password=buster;Option=3;>
[2010-01-03 00:31:22 GMT] Connect to database failed: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified, native code=0

The database in Windows is actually a folder. I'm pointing to the folder. Is that correct?

MySql.ini looks like this:

driver=MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver
server=localhost
port=3306
database=C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\data\prpnet
user=root
password=buster

Last fiddled with by MyDogBuster on 2010-01-03 at 00:45
MyDogBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-03, 00:59   #7
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogBuster View Post
Followed all the instructions. I can see the database thru the MYSQL tool and even see the structure of the tables. When I start the prpserver, I get this.

[2010-01-03 00:31:22 GMT] ODBC Connection String: <Driver={MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver};Server=localhost;Port=3306;Database=C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\data\prpnet;User=root;Password=buster;Option=3;>
[2010-01-03 00:31:22 GMT] Connect to database failed: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified, native code=0

The database in Windows is actually a folder. I'm pointing to the folder. Is that correct?

MySql.ini looks like this:

driver=MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver
server=localhost
port=3306
database=C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\data\prpnet
user=root
password=buster
Not knowing much about MySQL, on a hunch I'd suggest that you set database= to "prpnet" instead of the full path.
Old 2010-01-03, 01:10   #8
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

285210 Posts

Quote:
Not knowing much about MySQL, on a hunch I'd suggest that you set database= to "prpnet" instead of the full path.
Tried that also before. No luck. Everything seems to center around not finding the MySQL database. I can't load it or start it up. But I can see it from the MySql tool.

Last fiddled with by MyDogBuster on 2010-01-03 at 01:11
Old 2010-01-03, 01:17   #9
Lennart

"Lennart"
Jun 2007

112010 Posts

Quote:
Tried that also before. No luck. Everything seems to center around not finding the MySQL database. I can't load it or start it up. But I can see it from the MySql tool.
Do you have the ODBC driver installed ?

Lennart
Old 2010-01-03, 01:46   #10
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

22·23·31 Posts

Thanks Lennart, that did the trick. The only problem I have left is to populate the DB. The PRPAdmin password I have been using doesn't work. How do I reset it?

BTW, besides installing an OBDC driver, I had to change the database name in the MYSQL.ini file to just prpnet, so Max was right.
Old 2010-01-03, 02:10   #11
Lennart

"Lennart"
Jun 2007

112010 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Lennart, that did the trick. The only problem I have left is to populate the DB. The PRPAdmin password I have been using doesn't work. How do I reset it?
You change the password in prpserver.ini

Code:
//   7 - Twin (k*b^n+/-1)                                       
//   8 - Generalized Fermat Number (GFN)                        
servertype=3                                                    

// The password is required if using the prpadmin tool          
adminpassword=password          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Here !!!                          

// This is required if the e-mail server requires SMTP authentic
// the password to the aforementioned e-mail account.           
emailpassword=
Lennart

Last fiddled with by Lennart on 2010-01-03 at 02:11