mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2020-07-29, 16:45   #23
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22×1,109 Posts

Win 10 has some nice features. The tablet-style run menu introduced in Win 8 is not one of them. It retains some Win7 features, including if you know where to find it, the Win7 control panel and backup utility. I don't know anyone who ran Win 8.x.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-29, 17:11   #24
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

29×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Win 10 has some nice features. The tablet-style run menu introduced in Win 8 is not one of them. It retains some Win7 features, including if you know where to find it, the Win7 control panel and backup utility. I don't know anyone who ran Win 8.x.
My sister still uses Windows 8.x on an HP desktop. If she were having a problem, I would hear of it. The older style "Control Panel" has things I do not see in "All Settings." The reverse also applies.

I think you may be referring to the equivalent of the "Start" menu. It's way too long for my suit. It is loaded with things I have never used, and never will use. I considered pruning it, but I feared messing up my setup.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-29, 17:41   #25
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Win 10 has some nice features.
Agreed. It's /almost/ usable now. I really like the native SSH service. There are still many pain-in-the-butts though...

A quick question, for those who know much more than I do about this space...

I want to set up different user accounts on my Windows Dev box. This is to produce training videos for my students. Basically, how to boot-strap from a Windows workstation into a real OS. Start with VirtualBox running on Windows to install a Fedora environment. Use Putty to SSH into the VM, etc... (Dual-booting, and then entirely wiping Windows, comes a little later...)

The issue I'm having is when I create another account and log into it, all my development icons are present. When I try to delete the icons, they also are deleted from my dev account.

Some Googling suggested this involves something call a "Public Desktop". Does anyone know how I decouple the accounts' desktops from each other?
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-30, 13:39   #26
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

165A16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Some Googling suggested this involves something call a "Public Desktop". Does anyone know how I decouple the accounts' desktops from each other?
The shortcuts are probably in C:\Users\Public\Desktop\
Copy them to C:\Users\<insert username here>\Desktop\ to get them just on your desktop.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-30, 15:54   #27
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
The shortcuts are probably in C:\Users\Public\Desktop\
Copy them to C:\Users\<insert username here>\Desktop\ to get them just on your desktop.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try.
Old 2020-07-30, 17:17   #28
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

293910 Posts

Everything in the c:\users\Public\Desktop folder is shown on every users desktop, and it is not a copy or a link, it is the actual file. So when items are deleted by any user, they are really deleted in "c:\users\Public\Desktop".

It is a bit weird functionality, I have not heard of many that uses it.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-30, 17:25   #29
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

221428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
And yet, this (empirically) is the default behavior for Wincows 10.

On any LinSux () desktop I've worked with, while applications are available to all users by way of the Menus (or CLI), the desktops are completely independent of each other.

P.S. Brief rant... I've discovered I can't RDP into my Winblows Dev machine using the newly created non-privileged accounts. With a direct Keyboard, Mouse, and Display, no problem.

P.P.S. How did Windoze become dominant again??? Oh, right... Anti-competitive behavior during a critical period of ICT advancement (no issues...).
Old 2020-07-30, 18:04   #30
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

29·53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
Everything in the c:\users\Public\Desktop folder is shown on every users desktop, and it is not a copy or a link, it is the actual file. So when items are deleted by any user, they are really deleted in "c:\users\Public\Desktop".

Walmart had a setup like this when I worked there before I retired. Theirs was Windows 7. They had training PC's which were extremely restricted as to what a person could do with them. I believe they were "dumb terminals" which had to connect to another machine there somewhere. This might be an option. Their CPU boxes were not much larger than an external HD.

I started into the process of creating another account here. When I got to the point where the account would be made, I stopped. It gave the appearance of not connecting the default account to a new one. Looking at the "public" folders, all the apps I had installed had shortcuts in Public\Desktop. I suppose they could be moved to another location. Creating a custom in there, I don't know how it could be pointed to during a startup.
Old 2020-08-26, 05:09   #31
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

153710 Posts

I just had a 20-minute long automatic update. v2004. The forced roll-out has started. I do not see anything different. It replaced my GPU driver. I ran a test to see if it would work with the programs we use. It appears so. Prime95 v30.3 seems to be alright. I hope there are no problems...