Old 2021-06-23, 11:41   #177
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

6,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy5214 View Post
The PRPNet server outputs a ton of sub-standard and invalid HTML. It starts with the lack of a DOCTYPE string, ends with the totals row (which includes inappropriate header cells) sorting in between data rows, and hits everywhere in between. There is no bolding of the links table, which appears to be the intent, and there's a ton of presentational markup that was deprecated then and obsolete now. The markup is due for an update.

One issue I see with updating to HTML5 is that it requires UTF-8 encoding. I don't know if that means you'd have to restrict allowed user-generated data to ASCII or start using wide characters.
I'm not an HTML guru. If you can suggest actual code changes (or send me changed source files), then I can implement them. This would probably explain why Chrome doesn't display the HTML properly, although Firefox and Safari do.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 01:10   #178
Happy5214

"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I'm not an HTML guru. If you can suggest actual code changes (or send me changed source files), then I can implement them. This would probably explain why Chrome doesn't display the HTML properly, although Firefox and Safari do.
I can do that, though admittedly it won't be high on my to-do list. Can I also suggest serving the resources (CSS, JS) through the socket (edit: by reading them in and relaying them through) rather than on other ports? My network has a peculiar set-up (I configured my server to map the resources to use a custom hostname I have set up on my computers' /etc/hosts, but it's not set up on my phone, so no resources.), so being able to get those files through the server itself would be useful to me.

Last fiddled with by Happy5214 on 2021-06-24 at 01:11 Reason: Clarify
Happy5214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 11:56   #179
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

6,827 Posts

Quote:
I can do that, though admittedly it won't be high on my to-do list. Can I also suggest serving the resources (CSS, JS) through the socket (edit: by reading them in and relaying them through) rather than on other ports? My network has a peculiar set-up (I configured my server to map the resources to use a custom hostname I have set up on my computers' /etc/hosts, but it's not set up on my phone, so no resources.), so being able to get those files through the server itself would be useful to me.
I do not know how to do that either, so assistance from anyone would be helpful.
Old 2022-09-28, 12:38   #180
Happy5214

"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

863 Posts

First of all, this thread needs to be pinned, since I had trouble finding it.

How hard would it be to code the server to pull from an SQLite flat database? There are some really small assignments that would be overkill (both on the database server and on my SSD) to put on my main PRPNet servers, and I'd love to create a side server on a RAM drive to run these assignments.

By the way, the solution to the above issue of loading the resources through the server would be to read the file (the path would presumably either be fixed or in prpserver.ini) and output its contents through the socket whenever an HTTP GET request for the file is received, and then updating the paths in the header functions in the HTMLGenerator classes.
Old 2022-09-28, 12:45   #181
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

6,827 Posts

Quote:
First of all, this thread needs to be pinned, since I had trouble finding it.

How hard would it be to code the server to pull from an SQLite flat database? There are some really small assignments that would be overkill (both on the database server and on my SSD) to put on my main PRPNet servers, and I'd love to create a side server on a RAM drive to run these assignments.

By the way, the solution to the above issue of loading the resources through the server would be to read the file (the path would presumably either be fixed or in prpserver.ini) and output its contents through the socket whenever an HTTP GET request for the file is received, and then updating the paths in the header functions in the HTMLGenerator classes.
I have never worked with SQLite, so I cannot answer your question.

If you are a programmer, I suggest you d/l the source and take a look. Start with the DBInterface and SQLStatement classes.
Old 2022-09-28, 14:53   #182
Happy5214

"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

863 Posts

Quote:
I have never worked with SQLite, so I cannot answer your question.

If you are a programmer, I suggest you d/l the source and take a look. Start with the DBInterface and SQLStatement classes.
I already have a copy of the PRPNet code from my project to port the HTML markup to HTML5 (still ongoing, though I lost some progress when my desktop died a couple of months ago). It appears there's an ODBC binding for SQLite, which I had to install separately on the Ubuntu package manager, but usually SQLite is linked into a program directly as a library. I've never used the C library directly (the only time I directly managed an SQLite database in my work was through the SQLAlchemy Python ORM package, and then using Perl DBI to export the data to flat files). I don't know which model you'd prefer. The ODBC package would have to be separately installed, but should be easier to code, while the library would require more coding work but would "just work" for the end user.
Old 2022-09-28, 15:06   #183
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

6,827 Posts

Quote:
I already have a copy of the PRPNet code from my project to port the HTML markup to HTML5 (still ongoing, though I lost some progress when my desktop died a couple of months ago). It appears there's an ODBC binding for SQLite, which I had to install separately on the Ubuntu package manager, but usually SQLite is linked into a program directly as a library. I've never used the C library directly (the only time I directly managed an SQLite database in my work was through the SQLAlchemy Python ORM package, and then using Perl DBI to export the data to flat files). I don't know which model you'd prefer. The ODBC package would have to be separately installed, but should be easier to code, while the library would require more coding work but would "just work" for the end user.
ODBC is preferable as it would require fewer code changes to the server code.

Would love to see HTML5 own PRPNet.

I could add you as a developer to the project in sourceforge.

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2022-09-28 at 15:07
Old 2022-09-28, 21:15   #184
Happy5214

"Alexander"
Nov 2008
The Alamo City

863 Posts

Quote:
ODBC is preferable as it would require fewer code changes to the server code.

Would love to see HTML5 own PRPNet.

I could add you as a developer to the project in sourceforge.
I'll work on adding SQLite after I'm done with the HTML5 conversion.

I've never worked with SVN before as a developer, so I don't know how we'd do something like code review. I'd rather not directly commit changes if they don't fit with the vision you have for the code.
Old 2022-09-28, 23:25   #185
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

682710 Posts

Quote:
I'll work on adding SQLite after I'm done with the HTML5 conversion.

I've never worked with SVN before as a developer, so I don't know how we'd do something like code review. I'd rather not directly commit changes if they don't fit with the vision you have for the code.
Okay. After you have made your changes you send send the updated files to me. I will take a look and provide feedback. Once all is good I will merge with what is in SVN.

I appreciate your contribution.