mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > Cloud Computing

Old 2021-01-27, 10:39   #12
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

2×7×31 Posts

Those, who played with pocket monsters, might remember:
Quote:
[Pokémon] is confused! It hurt itself in confusion!
But I guess, it is not a person here that is confused.

Being confused seems to be a severe state of permanent or at least short term confusion. Getting confused seems to be mixing a single thing up, i.e. mistake something for something else.

But then, I'm not a native speaker, neither.

Last fiddled with by kruoli on 2021-01-27 at 10:39 Reason: Removed bogus quotation.
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-27, 11:25   #13
mersenne1588

Feb 2019

111002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruoli View Post
Those, who played with pocket monsters, might remember:

But I guess, it is not a person here that is confused.

Being confused seems to be a severe state of permanent or at least short term confusion. Getting confused seems to be mixing a single thing up, i.e. mistake something for something else.

But then, I'm not a native speaker, neither.
It was never said here that being confused is only limited to people.

But thanks anyway for your comment and the detailed explanations about Pokemon.
mersenne1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-27, 11:59   #14
mersenne1588

Feb 2019

22×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Thanks. That's what I wanted to say, and I won't contradict you on an English subject. Till some native weights in (or not), I still believe my sentence was right. Not a native speaker here either.

Nice pic my friend. If you want to say"you get confused" and you write"you are confused", then maybe "you are confused" means in English also "you get confused". Possibly you`re right. My first impression was here, that you have expressed yourself wrong in your sentence, but maybe I'm wrong here.
Old 2021-01-27, 12:12   #15
mersenne1588

Feb 2019

2810 Posts

Another thing. I`ve heard that the usability of Microsoft Azure is much better than the usability of Amazon EC2, is this correct?
Old 2021-01-27, 12:17   #16
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

581810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersenne1588 View Post
English is not my mother tongue, but I think you wanted to say: "You get confused there" or "You mix up something there". But as a person, I am certainly not "confused".
As a native I would say "You got confused there" or "You mixed up something there" or "You mixed something up there"
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-27, 12:24   #17
mersenne1588

Feb 2019

1C16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryzz View Post
As a native I would say "You got confused there" or "You mixed up something there" or "You mixed something up there"
Good to know how a native speaker would have phrased it. Thank you for the information.
Old 2021-01-27, 16:24   #18
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

123E16 Posts

(american here) I use "You are confused about....." routinely, for example when addressing a student question about a homework problem. I don't think "you got confused about..." is more accurate, because when learning there wasn't a prior state of understanding that then turned to confusion- in a sense, they started out confused!

"You are confused" without a topic would have an implied topic, and still would not be a commentary/insult on a person's state of being.

Also, AWS prices have for months-long periods in the past been cheaper than my local power costs, never mind the cost of my own hardware. "they need to make a profit" - if their power cost is 20% of mine, and the hardware is a sunk cost because it's just sitting there, there is a rational spot price AWS can charge that's cheaper than my personal cost. That's why OP's local power cost is highly relevant to a cloud vs local calculation!
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-27, 16:50   #19
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

28×37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
...there is a rational spot price AWS can charge that's cheaper than my personal cost. That's why OP's local power cost is highly relevant to a cloud vs local calculation!
Indeed.

I've used all of the major cloud computing providers over the years.

I spin up what I need when I need it, and then I shut it down.

Capex aside, for me personally it is cheaper to rent compute than pay for the local electrons.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-27, 17:00   #20
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

2×4,673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Capex aside, for me personally it is cheaper to rent compute than pay for the local electrons.
Until you get fully solar or wind (or tidal or biomass), your local electrons are much more expensive than the electrons from big hydro.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-27, 17:24   #21
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100101000000002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Until you get fully solar or wind (or tidal or biomass), your local electrons are much more expensive than the electrons from big hydro.
That aside. The Capex is also a major issue for those who don't live "in the land of plenty".

Even if I could order up and have delivered a server stack tomorrow (and have installed the three-phase 220V PDUs), it doesn't make sense for me to invest in a great deal of kit which I only need occasionally.

Your [entropy reduction]/[enthapy expended] may vary...
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote