mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jvang

Old 2018-09-14, 18:57   #67
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

10111001010102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvang View Post
(from what I can tell UChicago is more liberal-artsy or something)
It's arguably the most highly-respected university in the world for economics & econometrics, which isn't exactly navel-gazing.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 23:07   #68
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

1B316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
It's arguably the most highly-respected university in the world for economics & econometrics, which isn't exactly navel-gazing.
Hm, I'm pretty sure I find economics uninteresting. I'd rather make money than learn about it
jvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-15, 01:26   #69
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

2·5·593 Posts

Quote:
Hm, I'm pretty sure I find economics uninteresting. I'd rather make money than learn about it
Personally I don't consider economics particularly related to money, but then again it was only my minor.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-15, 02:11   #70
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

3·5·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Personally I don't consider economics particularly related to money, but then again it was only my minor.
Hmm, here's a short Wikipedia definition:

Quote:
Economics... is the social science that studies the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services. Economics focuses on the behaviour and interactions of economic agents and how economies work.
So... basically money! and how everyone wants to get more of it...

These "social sciences" seem interesting. I'm not sure that I'd want to take a college-level course over them, but the study of human relationships on large scales is pretty cool.

Did you happen to major in Computer Science? I've heard that majoring in CS and minoring in Economics is a very common pairing.
Old 2018-09-25, 23:23   #71
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

3·5·29 Posts

Quote:
Congratulations on your admission to the University of Arkansas. We are excited to welcome you to the Razorback community!

Of course, now I have to do a bunch of online paperwork and sign up for some orientation thingy and fill out the FAFSA and...
Old 2018-09-26, 01:07   #72
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

872910 Posts

Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-26, 08:27   #73
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

1,453 Posts

Quote:
"Congratulations on your admission to the University of Arkansas. We are excited to welcome you to the Razorback community! "
Congratulations! Have you looked at their main areas of research in Computer Engineering?
https://computer-science-and-compute...arch/index.php
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-26, 21:31   #74
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

6638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Congratulations! Have you looked at their main areas of research in Computer Engineering?
https://computer-science-and-compute...arch/index.php
Ooh, that looks neat! I'll have to read up on all those links, maybe computer science and engineering is cooler than it looks...
Old 2018-10-06, 00:45   #75
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

3·5·29 Posts

Quote:
Ooh, that looks neat! I'll have to read up on all those links, maybe computer science and engineering is cooler than it looks...
Most of the links have not been updated in a while or are tiny blurbs providing very little information. However, one thing that was interesting is the Arkansas High Performance Computing Center, which has hosted supercomputers that appeared in the Top500 list of most powerful supercomputers in the world. Red Diamond and Star of Arkansas were the two first computers, and the 2 current supercomputers are Razor and Trestles, the latter of which was transferred from the University of California, San Diego.

There's not much documentation that I could find, but at the time of Trestles's installation in 2015, it had "256 servers, 16.4 terabytes of memory and a processing speed of 79 teraflops," in addition to 8,192 CPU cores. The supercomputers have hundreds of nodes for UofA researchers to access and submit jobs for processing. Each of Trestles's nodes has 32 2.4 GHz cores and 64 GB of RAM. Razor's nodes have only 12-16 cores apiece and 24-32 GB of memory, but each individual core is faster than those of Trestles, making Trestles's nodes better for parallel code implementations. Also, Trestles's node have 100 GB of temporary storage space on flash drives, while Razor's have between 900 and 1800 GB on dedicated hard drives. Razor's OS is CentOS 6.5, but Trestles's was not indicated. What (obviously Linux) OS/distro uses filepaths such as /storage/$USER/home and /local_scratch/$PBS_JOBID? It seems that the computers have a direct way of transferring files, so they must be reasonably similar.

Perhaps I may be able to convince someone important to run GIMPS on these supercomputers!

Last fiddled with by jvang on 2018-10-06 at 00:46 Reason: typing is hard
Old 2018-10-12, 23:40   #76
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

3·5·29 Posts

Now I'm doing a bunch of paperwork that has to do with financial aid and college stuff; I have the FAFSA, some federal benefits (lots of chapters or something), a housing contract, an Arkansas Department for Higher Education application for the state grant/scholarship, and a Social Security thingy that's giving me some free money. I've done one of them so far, and it was so simple that I submitted it by accident before proofreading it Unfortunately, the FAFSA is much longer. I'm going to have to figure out how to read my parents' tax returns!
Old 2018-10-16, 23:57   #77
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

43510 Posts

Quote:
Unfortunately, the FAFSA is much longer. I'm going to have to figure out how to read my parents' tax returns!
Whew, that one was crazy. In addition to trying to read their tax returns, we had to dig up some other financial paperwork and check the current balances of all our bank accounts, and decipher the weird wording of the questions!

I've started a to-do list of college stuff. There's so much that I would definitely get lost trying to keep track of it mentally. Here's some of those tasks:
  • Finish up Housing Agreement for U of A, send deposit ($240!!!)
  • Figure out how to withdraw funds from our/my 529 account (from what I can tell it's a college savings account for your kids), since I won't be needing most of the money that is in there
  • Apply on the website for the Arkansas Department of Higher Education, since the scholarship thingy I'm getting is through them and the state of Arkansas
  • Apply for the scholarship after getting the ADHE thingy taken care of
  • Fill out an immunization form for the U of A since they didn't get allt he paperwork they needed from the high school counselors
  • Send in some signatures for my FAFSA since my parents didn't feel like making a special account to sign it electronically
And it keeps growing every day!

Last fiddled with by jvang on 2018-10-16 at 23:57