Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jvang

Old 2018-07-14, 22:44   #56
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

43510 Posts

To further my knowledge on jobs and what I'm considering as a major (also because this forum should have it), I started a thread in the Lounge. Career Development Thread

I really hope aerospace/aeronautical engineering isn't as cool as it looks, since Arkansas doesn't have a single program for it. I don't know if the Academic Common Market would let me keep my full-ride scholarship, so I likely won't be able to go out-of-state to major in it
jvang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-15, 09:04   #57
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

1,453 Posts

Have you looked into trying MOOCs to see what you enjoy and what you don't?
For example:
Architecture

Computer science

Introduction to aeronautical engineering
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-16, 01:39   #58
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

1B316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Have you looked into trying MOOCs to see what you enjoy and what you don't?
For example:
Architecture

Computer science

Introduction to aeronautical engineering
Hmm, those do look interesting. I wonder how in-depth they get; I did a Python for Informatics class on Coursera that was pretty decent, but I don't know how detailed an online class on engineering or architecture could be.
Old 2018-07-30, 00:49   #59
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

3·5·29 Posts

I was thinking about going overseas to a university in a European country. I'd have to look into the specifics (read: cost) but that seems like it'd be cool. State-sponsored education exists in places like Germany, so that would be interesting. Going to read up on that and see how it works...

Last fiddled with by jvang on 2018-07-30 at 00:49 Reason: typing is hard
Old 2018-07-30, 01:08   #60
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

210318 Posts

Yes, some places do have 'state sponsored' education or re-education. Be careful what you wish for, "there are always consequences".
https://thenightgallery.wordpress.co...-hard-lessons/

Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-30, 01:35   #61
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

3·5·29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Yes, some places do have 'state sponsored' education or re-education. Be careful what you wish for, "there are always consequences".
https://thenightgallery.wordpress.co...-hard-lessons/

I guess "state-sponsored" has a negative connotation, and "state-funded" or "free public tuition" is more correcter
Old 2018-07-30, 06:19   #62
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

1,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvang View Post
I was thinking about going overseas to a university in a European country. I'd have to look into the specifics (read: cost) but that seems like it'd be cool. State-sponsored education exists in places like Germany, so that would be interesting. Going to read up on that and see how it works...
In general, universities in European countries tend to have one rule for citizens of European Union countries and a different rule for people from the rest of the world (with much higher tuition fees).
You would also have to deal with the immigration rules of the country you choose.
Most bachelor degrees are given in the local language so for Germany, for example, I think you would need to be fluent in German.
Bachelor degrees at European universities usually take 3 years and you start on your major immediately.
In some countries, students face a tough selection process.
In others, anyone who has passed the relevant end-of-school exams is admitted (as long as not too many people apply), but less able students are then weeded out during the first year.

Another option is to go to a university in the US which can arrange for you to spend part of your time at a European university.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-31, 02:12   #63
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

1101100112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
In general, universities in European countries tend to have one rule for citizens of European Union countries and a different rule for people from the rest of the world (with much higher tuition fees).
You would also have to deal with the immigration rules of the country you choose.
Most bachelor degrees are given in the local language so for Germany, for example, I think you would need to be fluent in German.
Bachelor degrees at European universities usually take 3 years and you start on your major immediately.
In some countries, students face a tough selection process.
In others, anyone who has passed the relevant end-of-school exams is admitted (as long as not too many people apply), but less able students are then weeded out during the first year.

Another option is to go to a university in the US which can arrange for you to spend part of your time at a European university.
You’re right, many countries in the EU offer low/free tuition to students from member countries, but hike it up for international students. But a couple do offer free tuition to international students. I do need to look more into the specifics and requirements, and as always, free isn’t really free. The cost of living in many of these places (Norway comes to mind) is very high, so room/board would be pretty expensive, and you’d need to learn the official language (although I did hear about some fully English curriculums...).
Old 2018-08-25, 20:12   #64
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

3·5·29 Posts

I've had my UArk application sitting around for a month already. I don't have a transcript to send with it. The counselors at my high school said that they'll have it ready around the middle of September, which is barely before a lot of early decision deadlines and priority scholarship/honors considerations deadlines

That is my main application; in the very unlikely case that I'm not admitted I can apply to somewhere like Henderson State that is even more guaranteed. However, my dad wants me to fill out an application to the University of Chicago. It's the only elite college he is reasonably aware of because I get a bunch of promotional mail from them. I think my chances of being considered by them are lower than the difference between \(0.\overline{9}\) and \(1\)

I'm pretty sure spending the time on their essays and whatnot is a waste of time. He thinks that the "experience" will be worth something, but I'm basically paying $80 and several days' worth of my time to get a rejection letter like those in the Lounge. It's not like they're going to review it and give me personalized advice to write a better essay. He also said that "you never know! You could get lucky!" even though there are about 30,000 other, much more qualified applicants to UChicago.

I feel he is being unreasonable in asking me to apply there; I'd love to think that I could go somewhere cool like that, but if I felt like my resume was worth a try I wouldn't even apply to UChicago. Caltech or MIT would be more suitable (from what I can tell UChicago is more liberal-artsy or something).

What do you guys think? I'm not against applying out-of-state, but trying somewhere like UChicago is delusional in my opinion. Especially with a full tuition scholarship as long as I stay in-state, trying for an elite college is pointless.
Old 2018-08-25, 20:38   #65
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

100100010001102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvang View Post
What do you guys think?
If you know how to learn, a degree isn't needed.

Please see this and this.

To share, I never got a degree, and yet ended up hiring many people. Those who were high school drop-outs were often better than those with PhDs.

From my experience, those who get advanced degrees are really good at writing lots of language, but not so good at actually solving problems presented to them.

YMMV.
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-14, 00:08   #66
jvang
veganjoy

"Joey"
Nov 2015
Middle of Nowhere,AR

3·5·29 Posts

I finally got my transcript for high school; 3.1 GPA (not including this or next semester) and 40th out of 198 for class rank. So about 75% of our school is doing worse than me and my 3 F's!

Thus I am finally able to apply to the University of Arkansas. I sent off my application (and $40) today. You're allowed to change your major for the first year or two, so I put "Computer Engineering" (Undeclared major is not an option) since I'm interested in engineering and/or computer science, so this is probably the best of both worlds until I can really figure out what's up.

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University has sent me an email saying that they'll accept my application without a fee, so I may throw one their way. A decent amount of universities have waived their fees for me, so I'll look into doing some of those for variety. Some are clearly desperate for anyone to come by (University of Memphis?) but others like Tulane University seem respectable (top 50 in the US and some other nice rankings for them).

Last fiddled with by jvang on 2018-09-14 at 00:08 Reason: typing is hard