mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet > GPU to 72

Old 2013-12-27, 21:28   #199
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

47168 Posts

@Aramis and chris2be8
A recycled exponent is one which is not at the leading edge of LL testing and has been assigned for LL testing before. The original assignee either didn't start the test or left it incomplete and has not updated the status of the exponent - i.e. not run Prime95 with the computer connected to the Internet - for 60 days. Such exponents are "expired" at 0000 UTC every day and thrown back in the LL pool for assignment. Anyone can get these exponents for testing, the list or potential assignees is the same as regular LL testers.

It doesn't really matter whether these exponents have had a partial test done since the new assignee will have to restart the LL test from scratch.

@chris2be8: Occasionally, people do continue testing but not communicate with Primenet. When they eventually report the result it is counted as a doublecheck. Not sure how often this happens but can't be more than 1 in every 10,000 first time tests.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-27, 21:41   #200
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

2×5×251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davieddy View Post
If I were offered two 60M exponents, one at 72 and the other at 74 I would say "Why the **** were these not both TFed to 73?"
Because this is a recycled exponent and when it was assigned for LL testing we were letting exponents go after TF to 72 bits. Now that we have more fire-power we will give it a more thorough rogering. Capisci?

Quote:
Define sufficuent. If the bit level was deemed fit for a virgin, it should be fit for an old hag which has been round the block a few times.
Sufficient is what the community decides. With George as primus inter pares. Currently, we feel that 74 bits is sufficient for 60-69M exponents even though James' site says that given infinite TF power we could take these to 75.

Quote:
It is throwing good money after bad. It will get LLed eventually, and TFing a 54M (I ask you) from 72 to 73 does not add to the LL assignment pool. The effort would be MUCH better spent taking a 66M expo to 73.
Why? And we will take the 66M to 74 bits anyway. Didn't you just agree that you would prefer a 54M over a 66M?

Quote:
Let us at least start from a point of concensus: ...
Now we come to the crunch: this depends on the number of virgins assigned each day.
No it doesn't. Not even close. It depends on how many people complete an LL test each day. And that is it.

Quote:
Currently this is decided by Chris, who has an ingenious ploy which ensures that the assignment of virgins does not exceed their production rate.:
I think you misunderstand what Chris is doing.

Quote:
BTW Garo, I assume you intend to delegate your moderation here with the same frankness and humility as Chris.
Agreed. I usually don't moderate posts in discussions I am an active part of. I do release your posts from the moderation queue when I see them. Except when I find them pointless in which case I let another mod make the call.

Quote:
Sigh.
Hasn't anyone heard of Kirchoff's Current Law?
And pray tell what relevance does that have to our present discussion?
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 15:36   #201
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

193316 Posts
Default 30 day account for LLs in progress

>63M:
8000 virgins in.
Big number out and same big number straight back in.

<63M
0 virgins in.
Big number out. 1500 opt for extra rogering and 16 die of ecstacy are factored. Big number - 16 back in.

8500 LLs completed.

Who is winning this debate?

davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 19:52   #202
Aramis Wyler

"Bill Staffen"
Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

23×3×17 Posts

This discussion seems to have gone into territory far more pointless than usual. I even made a couple of bizarre logical leaps there just to try and tie down an anchor point because the basic premise (virgin assignments are better/worse to LL/TF than recycled ones) is so ridiculous on it's face.

We need to TF the smallest ones we can to whatever our firepower can support (not exceeding James' line) and release them. The level we TF them to needs to be based on the amount of assignments going out vs the amount we can complete. Whether or not a number has been partially LL'd before doesn't even remotely matter - the number hasn't gotten any more or less likely to be prime.

We should always aim high, because if we fail to get numbers to that 74th bit and they release at 73 then it's the same as if we'd aimed for 73. If we start releasing them 2 bitlevels low that would be a problem, but we're not even releasing them 1 bitlevel low right now. I mean really, saying omg we should release at 73 because someday if we might fail to release at 74 and be forced to release at 73 is farcical. It's like preemptive failure so as to say that we didn't fail.

Last fiddled with by Aramis Wyler on 2013-12-28 at 19:54
Aramis Wyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 21:04   #203
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

6,451 Posts

Sorry about any confusion Bill, but it's NMFPMT.
The delay to my posts causes mystification and embarrassment to everyone except me.

I posted the 30 day profit/loss accounts some hours ago. I expect they are being audited.

D
Old 2013-12-28, 21:13   #204
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×4,643 Posts

Quote:
Clearly not you.

(Sorry for the delay in the reply, but by your own rules I was not allowed to approve your post.)
chalsall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 21:14   #205
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

3·2,377 Posts

Quote:
Based on the number of people you've been able to convince that your theories are correct, I'd say you are losing the debate badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis
I mean really, saying omg we should release at 73 because someday if we might fail to release at 74 and be forced to release at 73 is farcical.
A superb and concise analysis of this whole mess.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 21:50   #206
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

230778 Posts

Quote:
The delay to my posts causes mystification and embarrassment to everyone except me.
The delay to your posts is no one's fault but your own.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-28, 22:16   #207
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

11·197 Posts

Indeed.
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 00:12   #208
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

11001001100112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
Indeed.
That's three times I told you to piss off and yet you are still here.
Old 2013-12-29, 01:49   #209
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

6,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis Wyler View Post
I mean really, saying omg we should release at 73 because someday if we might fail to release at 74 and be forced to release at 73 is farcical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
A superb and concise analysis of this whole mess.
Good posting from the two people who come anywhere near to seeing their way through this messTM as clearly as I do.

The messTM arises entirely through George permitting Chris to put double-speak into practice: TFing 63M exponents while assigning 69M exponents for LL goes under the Orwellian "TF is just keeping ahead of the LL wavefront".

George knows precisely what I am aiming for, and how to achieve it easily and quickly. It is what Garo, Aramis and I refer to as "Breathing Space".

David