chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
And yet ships, even star ships of the future, are commonly referred to as "she". Go figure.
LOL... Interesting point.

I would argue that that's a reasonable usage of the pronoun. Female humans are the ones who can procreate (this can actually now be done without male "input"). For most animals, it is the females who care for and nurture the young.

They generally think differently than males. When they take on a responsibility, they think "long term". *Some* males, on the other hand, simply make a small contribution, and then are off to the next conquest. The embodiment of the "selfish gene".

My personal experience is that women are often the ones you want "managing the situation".

Empirical data-point: compare the COVID situation between female-led countries, and male-led...

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2020-07-30 at 16:16 Reason: s/female let/female-led/; # Dyslexics untie!
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-30, 16:07   #24
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

24·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilF View Post
And yet ships, even star ships of the future, are commonly referred to as "she". Go figure.
Try reading Iain M Banks The Culture stories.

Just Read the Instructions and Of Course I Still Love You are named after GCUs from that series.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-30, 17:22   #25
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

55738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Guy referring to a female is generally only used in the collective, not the singular.
This is really weird for someone living outside of the US. For example when you see a journalist interviewing 2 or more women or girls and starting with "Hi guys".
This seems perfectly normal for people in the US? Is it like this in the UK as well?
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-30, 17:31   #26
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2·4,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
"Hi guys".
Hey all.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-30, 17:41   #27
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

21AC16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Empirical data-point: compare the COVID situation between female-led countries, and male-led...
In my local region 2/3 of all recent cases (outside of 'care facilities') are male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
This is really weird for someone living outside of the US. For example when you see a journalist interviewing 2 or more women or girls and starting with "Hi guys".
This seems perfectly normal for people in the US? Is it like this in the UK as well?
Generally when that is done, the subjects are peer group or younger. I think it carried over from mixed use.

The interjection "Dude" is often used by women when talking to women.

Y'all is a good catch all term. It is being used to replace the former use of 'you' in middle English.

The term 'microaggression' is 50 years old.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-30, 18:48   #28
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

240208 Posts

Quote:
In my local region 2/3 of all recent cases (outside of 'care facilities') are male.

Generally when that is done, the subjects are peer group or younger. I think it carried over from mixed use.

The interjection "Dude" is often used by women when talking to women.

Y'all is a good catch all term. It is being used to replace the former use of 'you' in middle English.

The term 'microaggression' is 50 years old.
I vividly remember one evening 44 years ago when I and several other people were in the college room of a Somervillian. She addressed us as "you guys", so the UK usage goes back at least that long. I forget the precise distribution of female and male students but it was about 8:3. A female preponderance, certainly.

She was also fluent in Γ†nglisc and taught us a number of colloquialisms and obscenities in that tongue. As far as I recall, it was the stimulus for me wanting to learn the language and to be able to read Beowulf in the original.

Lost contact with her a year or so later when she graduated. I wish I could remember her name.
Old 2020-08-01, 08:09   #29
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

100010001001102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
What should I do with my peacock?
You could call it peacunt.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-01, 23:23   #30
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

24·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
What should I do with my peacock?
Send it to Scunthorpe.

Beware, the export/import documentation might be excessively onerous.
Old 2020-08-02, 01:57   #31
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

166616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Send it to Scunthorpe.
But let's be completely un(bi/homo/hetero/other)ased shere: Send it to scockhorpe.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-02, 09:45   #32
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

24·641 Posts

Quote:
Just wanting to remove gender bias in our language.
"Our" language? There are several different native tongues of people posting here. A good number of them have at least a passing knowledge of at least one non-native language. Verstehen Sie? ΒΏLo entiendes? Intellegisne? RozumΓ­Ε‘?

The Germanic languages have three genders. Some Romance languages (Spanish and French for example) have only two. My knowledge of Romansh and Romanian is too frgamentary for me to comment meaningfully. Perhaps LaurV can help out.

Outside of Indo-European there are languages which have two genders but their equivalents of "man", "woman", "God" and "Goddess" are all of the same gender. Sumerian is a specific example with which I am familiar. Those words are of the animate gender, which is used only for human and divine beings. Everything else, whether animal, vegetable or mineral, is of the inanimate gender. Specific example: π’Š•π’€€π’‰Œ (saĝ.ani) means both "his head" and "her head" whereas π’Š•π’‰(saĝ.bi) means "its head".

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2020-08-02 at 10:08 Reason: Add example
Old 2020-08-02, 09:52   #33
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3×1,571 Posts

Seconded that Paul.

Why not cover all by "it"?
pinhodecarlos is online now   Reply With Quote