mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Old 2020-11-22, 08:05   #89
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

5×7×101 Posts

See this link: https://www.krizna.com/centos/setup-network-centos-7/

I am running Centos8 under qemu installed from the same iso...

I ran:

nmcli d to get a list of "nic cards".

As root, I edited (with nano) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<your device> and changed to ONBOOT=yes. Then I ran systemctl reboot. I now have internet access.

Next follow the link: https://www.golinuxcloud.com/install...rhel-centos-8/ to install gnome, turn it on and make default at boot.

Run systemctl reboot et voilà
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-22, 20:32   #90
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×3×1,931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
See this link: https://www.krizna.com/centos/setup-network-centos-7/

I am running Centos8 under qemu installed from the same iso...

I ran:

nmcli d to get a list of "nic cards".

As root, I edited (with nano) /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<your device> and changed to ONBOOT=yes. Then I ran systemctl reboot. I now have internet access.
Found the wifi stick in the output of nmcli d, did 'cat' on its ifcfg-file, the corresponding NAME= entry shows the name of my internet router, and ONBOOT=yes is already set. But e.g. 'ping yahoo.com' gives "Name or service not known" - still no web access. And 'ifconfig' does not show an entry for the wifi, which device name is wlp0s20u3.

Quote:
Next follow the link: https://www.golinuxcloud.com/install...rhel-centos-8/ to install gnome, turn it on and make default at boot.

Run systemctl reboot et voilà
Did the steps to make graphical.target the default, rebooted, but again got command-line mode. After logging in, systemctl shows graphical.target loaded and active. But still no GUI, still no internet access. I notice the above page next has a section "Install KDE Environment" - do I need that, as well?
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-22, 20:36   #91
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

3·232 Posts

If I have trouble with X, I sometimes start it manually with "startx" from a text terminal, and then check the log to see what happened.
Nick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-22, 20:47   #92
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

DCF16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Found the wifi stick in the output of nmcli d, did 'cat' on its ifcfg-file, the corresponding NAME= entry shows the name of my internet router, and ONBOOT=yes is already set. But e.g. 'ping yahoo.com' gives "Name or service not known" - still no web access. And 'ifconfig' does not show an entry for the wifi, which device name is wlp0s20u3.

Did the steps to make graphical.target the default, rebooted, but again got command-line mode. After logging in, systemctl shows graphical.target loaded and active. But still no GUI, still no internet access. I notice the above page next has a section "Install KDE Environment" - do I need that, as well?
Try this command as root: nmtui and "activate" the wireless device. (Ref). But it sounds like it is activated -- see below.

You won't get Gnome until it is downloaded! No need for KDE.

"Name or service not known" is a DNS problem. It appears to not be picking up your router's DNS servers (if it has any) -- with nmtui add this DNS server 1.1.1.1 under "edit a connection".

After you have Gnome set up you can run dnf groupinstall "Development Tools" -y

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2020-11-22 at 21:29
Old 2020-11-23, 01:48   #93
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

5×7×101 Posts

Alternatively, just add DNS1=1.1.1.1 to ifcfg-wlp0s20u3 and then run systemctl restart NetworkManager.service

You should now be able to ping yahoo.com and be able to install "Server with GUI" and "Development Tools"

If not, with troubleshooting in mind, can you:
  1. ping 127.0.0.1?
  2. ping your router?
  3. ping 1.1.1.1?

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2020-11-23 at 01:49
Old 2020-11-23, 13:29   #94
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

1F0B16 Posts

Could this be a wpa_supplicant issue?
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-23, 20:07   #95
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

101101010000102 Posts

Quote:
Try this command as root: nmtui and "activate" the wireless device. (Ref). But it sounds like it is activated -- see below.

You won't get Gnome until it is downloaded! No need for KDE.

"Name or service not known" is a DNS problem. It appears to not be picking up your router's DNS servers (if it has any) -- with nmtui add this DNS server 1.1.1.1 under "edit a connection".
Tried that - menu shows the wifi, inside "Edit a connection" for that looks OK, though I tried toggling the "show password" checkbox and couldn't find any key that did that, and the above page doesn't mention that, nor does it say anything about the possible special-casing needed for wifi vs ethernet. But I checked the wifi password at setup time - recall that during my last OS-install I was able to configure the wifi, initially entered the password incorrectly but the installer alerted me to that, it clearly was correctly talking to the router at that point.

Back to the Edit pane for the wifi: I see blank entries for the BSSID, Cloned MAC address and MTU fields, can you see what those look like for the wifi connection on your CentOS-running system?

So I didn't actually change any of the fields, just toggled to <OK>, which took me back to select-connection pane, hit <Back> there and switched to "Activate a connection", and the wifi doesn't show up there, so something is clearly missing from that device's setup.

Quote:
Alternatively, just add DNS1=1.1.1.1 to ifcfg-wlp0s20u3 and then run systemctl restart NetworkManager.service

You should now be able to ping yahoo.com and be able to install "Server with GUI" and "Development Tools"
Did that - I needed to 'su' to append the DNS1 entry to the file, 'sudo' didn't work for that - no joy.

Quote:
If not, with troubleshooting in mind, can you:
  1. ping 127.0.0.1? yes
  2. ping your router? Network is unreachable (IP = 192.168.0.1, I first checked it via ping from my macbook)
  3. ping 1.1.1.1? Network is unreachable
Old 2020-11-23, 23:57   #96
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

5·7·101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post

Back to the Edit pane for the wifi: I see blank entries for the BSSID, Cloned MAC address and MTU fields, can you see what those look like for the wifi connection on your CentOS-running system?
Unfortunately I don't have wifi to test it out.

I think we are at a chicken and eggs situation. You might need to install wpa_supplicant as suggest by Xyzzy. This impasse will be overcome by using a LAN cable to connect to the net.

There are two last thing to try (ref):

nmcli device wifi
nmcli device wifi connect [ssid_name] password [type password]

BTW, the most important keys to use in nmtui are Tab, Space (as a selector), Cursor Keys and Enter,

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2020-11-24 at 00:47
Old 2020-11-24, 03:49   #97
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

32×883 Posts

Ernst: Does your wifi (AP) authenticate via WPA2 or WEP?
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-24, 04:54   #98
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·5·7·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
is anybody here still using wep? (or wpa1 btw)
(anybody can hack it in few minutes with aircrack-ng - it takes me 3-5 minutes to hack any wep)
LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-24, 20:31   #99
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·3·1,931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Per my macbook, which is wifi-ing over the same router, it's WPA2. In the nmtui edit-connection pane that also shows "WPA and WPA2 Personal", though hitting space - thanks, Paul - I have a bunch more options there. Tried selecting the others in turn to see if any caused the empty BSSID, Cloned MAC address and MTU fields to auto-fill, but they just gave an empty password field, which reverted to the one I entered during the OS-preinstall wifi setup once I went bck to the "WPA and WPA2 Personal" selection.

In case it matters, my macbook shows wifi using DNS servers 75.75.75.75 and 76.76.76.76 .

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have wifi to test it out.

I think we are at a chicken and eggs situation. You might need to install wpa_supplicant as suggest by Xyzzy. This impasse will be overcome by using a LAN cable to connect to the net.

There are two last thing to try (ref):

nmcli device wifi
nmcli device wifi connect [ssid_name] password [type password]

BTW, the most important keys to use in nmtui are Tab, Space (as a selector), Cursor Keys and Enter,
'nmcli device wifi' comes up empty - that seems to reflect the lack of a wifi entry in the 'ifconfig' output. When I unplug and re-plug the wifi stick, I see the USB connection resetting in the terminal output and finding the device, but the afore-tried command still comes up empty.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-11-24 at 20:44