mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Conjectures 'R Us

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-04-30, 12:34   #12
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×32×52×13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
I just noticed this part in the first post of this thread, where it instructs users to credit their primes as LLR and PFGW for top-5000 primes on a non-power-of-2 base. Actually, because LLR's code for non-k*2^n+-1 numbers is taken directly from PRP, users should enter "PRP" under additional software, not LLR, if LLR only found a probable prime. In fact, LLR will instruct users to do so with a note in the lresults.txt file--it will say "such-and-such is a probable prime. Please credit George Woltman's PRP for this result!". Also, according to the top-5000 site, when you list multiple programs in a prover-code, they all get full credit, not half credit as this thread says--this is done to encourage reporting of all programs involved.
IIRC, there was a similar discussion a while ago in the SR5 project. It came down to the point of whether or not you used LLR or PRP to do the test. Even if they share the same code, all you need to do is credit the program(s) you used. There are a number of fuzzy lines when you start going down this path. There will be a desire to credit anyone's code that was involved. One example would be GMP, which is used by PFGW or pieces of code used by George's FFT library that was borrowed from other sources. Then you can start talking about giving people credit for writing the code and the testers, etc. IMO, limit the prover codes to the applications used to find the prime.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 15:08   #13
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
IIRC, there was a similar discussion a while ago in the SR5 project. It came down to the point of whether or not you used LLR or PRP to do the test. Even if they share the same code, all you need to do is credit the program(s) you used. There are a number of fuzzy lines when you start going down this path. There will be a desire to credit anyone's code that was involved. One example would be GMP, which is used by PFGW or pieces of code used by George's FFT library that was borrowed from other sources. Then you can start talking about giving people credit for writing the code and the testers, etc. IMO, limit the prover codes to the applications used to find the prime.
But, the LLR application even tells says in the results file "Please credit George Woltman's PRP for this result"--seemed pretty clear to me.

Maybe we should ask Jean Penne how he prefers to have them reported?
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 15:35   #14
michaf
 
michaf's Avatar
 
Jan 2005

1110111112 Posts
Default Riesel base 31

Finally, a long due result for Riesel base 31:

131994*31^68109-1 is prime!

After a 2 months wait, it's a rather satisfying top 5000 prime too!

This leaves 9 k's for Riesel base 31.
michaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 17:09   #15
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2×32×52×13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
But, the LLR application even tells says in the results file "Please credit George Woltman's PRP for this result"--seemed pretty clear to me.

Maybe we should ask Jean Penne how he prefers to have them reported?
I don't believe that Jean cares, but I won't speak for him.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-30, 17:14   #16
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

11000011010012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I don't believe that Jean cares, but I won't speak for him.
Okay, I posted a message about this over in the LLR 3.7.1c thread in the Software forum.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 22:19   #17
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

52·11·37 Posts
Default

Interesting discussion here.

I have to lean towards what Rogue suggested despite the message in Jean's LLR program. I believe the message was put there not thinking of the ramifications of a single program pulling code from multiple sources, which as Rogue implies, gets into a very slippery slope of crediting any # of contributing programs or testers.

I was not aware that each program gets full credit if more than one is used. Thanks for correcting that Anon.

I was aware of the display in Jean's program but had chosen to ignore it for the same 'slippery slope' reason.

If it comes back that PRP should be credited, I'll create a new proof code if I find a non-power-of-2 top-5000 prime. Fortunately I haven't found a non-power-of-2 top-5000 prime yet or I'd be stuck with a messy situation of moving some of them over to a new proof code, which perhaps isn't too messy for Prof. Caldwell to move a few primes over to.


Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 01:52   #18
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

100111101111112 Posts
Default BANG!!

Ba da bing...ba da boom...

The odd-n conjectures finally hit pay dirt on the Riesel side and knock a k-value out of 3 different bases...

6927*2^743481-1 is prime!!

This also slays k=13854 for Riesel base 4 and 16. Primes for those reported in the main prime thread.


Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 02:02   #19
gd_barnes
 
gd_barnes's Avatar
 
May 2007
Kansas; USA

236778 Posts
Default

There is now one less k-value remaining for Riesel base 4 and 16:

13854*4^371740-1 is prime
-and-
13854*16^185870-1 is prime

submitted as:
6927*2^743481-1

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2010-04-01 at 22:23
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-23, 14:17   #20
Siemelink
 
Siemelink's Avatar
 
Jan 2006
Hungary

26810 Posts
Default Base 19 prime

Hidiho,

I've been taking some of my k's to much higher n's then I usually do. With success:

8216*19^91041-1 is prime!

The only base 19 prime in the top 5000.

Having fun, Willem.
Siemelink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 15:54   #21
Jean Penné
 
Jean Penné's Avatar
 
May 2004
FRANCE

10001100002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Ba da bing...ba da boom...

The odd-n conjectures finally hit pay dirt on the Riesel side and knock a k-value out of 3 different bases...

6927*2^743481-1 is prime!!

This also slays k=13854 for Riesel base 4 and 16. Primes for those reported in the main prime thread.


Gary
Very nice result, Gary!
Jean
Jean Penné is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 07:25   #22
Xentar
 
Xentar's Avatar
 
Sep 2006

101110102 Posts
Default

Just saw this one in the log file:
160*17^166048+1 is a probable prime. Time: 4811.857 sec.

Place 604 :)
http://primes.utm.edu/primes/page.php?id=85139

only 2 more for sierp b17
Xentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Report top-5000 primes for k=1003-3000 gd_barnes No Prime Left Behind 688 2020-04-24 07:31
Report top-5000 primes for all k<=1001 gd_barnes No Prime Left Behind 1487 2020-01-06 21:32
All top 5000 primes will have the same number of digits in 2014 ;-) Batalov Conjectures 'R Us 10 2013-03-29 01:29
Twenty Oldest Primes on Top 5000 List masser Lounge 9 2008-08-27 12:31
get all the 5000 biggest primes above 100K digits jasong jasong 1 2007-06-09 22:51

All times are UTC. The time now is 18:11.

Sat Aug 8 18:11:14 UTC 2020 up 22 days, 13:58, 2 users, load averages: 2.03, 1.57, 1.59

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.