only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davar55 View Post
When the polls collapse for him, and he stops getting any acclamation,
(when his supporters come to their senses), someone will give him a
good talking to. And if he doesn't fire himself, the media will.
Maybe not, if Democrats want to take a page from Rush Limbaugh's dirty tricks department, lots of them could change parties, if required, and vote for him in the primary. Then the Democrats would have a tragically flawed opponent for the main election. But then, anyone might win on any given election Tuesday; no outcome is completely certain and kids love to play with matches.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-28, 17:03   #35
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

3×3,389 Posts

Quote:
Nice contribution. Here's one of my own:

Facetiously subversionary,
Questionably excursionary,
Climbed sequoia,
Lost eunoia,
Equivocally delusionary.
Sorry, I don't recognize it. Don't explain (yet) because I want to continue to think about it.

Mine* is notable not least because it was set to music by Mozart and a widely know parody was written by Lewis Carrol

Paul

*I didn't write it, merely quoted it.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-28, 17:23   #36
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

992610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by only_human View Post
The only question in my mind is how long Hitler will stay in the race.
The campaign is ended. Godwin's Law (or a corollary) prevails.

Quote:
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1"[2][3]—​that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism.
Quote:
There are many corollaries to Godwin's law, some considered more canonical (by being adopted by Godwin himself)[3] than others.[1]

For example, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress.[8] This principle is itself frequently referred to as Godwin's law.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-28, 18:17   #37
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
The campaign is ended. Godwin's Law (or a corollary) prevails.
I did it deliberately knowing about the law so an exception may or may not apply for me depending if one strictly believes that one must expressly say they are posting while cognizant of Godwin's Law to avoid invoking it.

For those that like the semantics of deliberately invoking a law to avoid invoking it:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DonMcAr...ts/anEBm7KyqH9
"From Sweden oddly mesmeric: 'all posters except posters about posters being prohibited are prohibited .'"

For your added reading pleasure...
http://morgenstern.jeffreykegler.com/
Quote:
The story of Gödel's citizenship hearing had been much repeated over the years. What was known was that on 5 December 1947, Kurt Gödel went to his citizenship hearing in Trenton, New Jersey. The examiner was Judge Philip Forman. As his witnesses, Gödel brought his two closest friends, Oskar Morgenstern and Albert Einstein. Gödel was granted citizenship, and took his oath on 2 April 1948. Those were the reliably established facts.

Afterwards, Morgenstern told many people that he and Einstein had had their hands full preventing the brilliant, but politically naive, Gödel from derailing his citizenship chances. No account directly from Morgenstern or anyone else at the hearing had survived, but hearsay versions circulated widely. The hearsay versions show considerable variation, but their burden is something like the following:

Gödel, in his usual manner, had read extensively in preparing for the hearing. In the course of his studies, Gödel decided that he had discovered a flaw in the U.S. Constitution -- a contradiction which would allow the U.S. to be turned into a dictatorship. Gödel, usually quite reticent, seemed to feel a need to make this known. Morgenstern and Einstein warned Gödel that it would be a disaster to confront his citizenship examiner with visions of a Constitutional flaw leading to an American dictatorship.

Arriving in Princeton, the trio had no idea who the examiner would be. They happened to run into Judge Forman. Forman was a friend of Einstein's -- when Einstein became a citizen, Forman had administered the oath. How lucky this was became apparent almost immediately during the questioning. Forman happened to remark how fortunate it was that the US was not a dictatorship, which Gödel took as a cue to explain his discovery. A surprised Forman exchanged glances with Einstein and Morgenstern, cut Gödel off, and forced-marched the hearing through to a successful conclusion.
The History, and the Legend

Nobody seems to know what Gödel's proof was. Many versions of the hearing that circulated featured invented dialog.

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2015-11-28 at 18:33
Old 2015-11-28, 19:08   #38
davar55

May 2004
New York City

108316 Posts

Maybe it's best we don't know Godel's dictatorship "proof". If valid,
a simple variant might fold the internet today. Bad idea.
davar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-28, 19:11   #39
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

EAA16 Posts

Quote:
Maybe it's best we don't know Godel's dictatorship "proof". If valid,
a simple variant might fold the internet today. Bad idea.
Maybe it's time to cut out the middleman and directly elect a corporation as president.
Old 2015-11-28, 19:11   #40
davar55

May 2004
New York City

3×1,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Sorry, I don't recognize it. Don't explain (yet) because I want to continue to think about it.
Mine* is notable not least because it was set to music by Mozart and a widely know parody was written by Lewis Carrol
*I didn't write it, merely quoted it.
This is the first place I've released it. It's only informally copyrighted; all I ask is attribution.
Old 2015-11-28, 19:12   #41
davar55

May 2004
New York City

3·1,409 Posts

Quote:
Maybe it's time to cut out the middleman and directly elect a corporation as president.
Ha ha. A male corporation or a female one?
Old 2015-11-28, 19:19   #42
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2·1,877 Posts

Quote:
Ha ha. A male corporation or a female one?
Any that can build a fence and make the trains run on time.

http://youtu.be/WINDtlPXmmE
Network - Mad as Hell Scene
Length 2:13

Longer version
length 4:59
http://youtu.be/q_qgVn-Op7Q

Last fiddled with by only_human on 2015-11-28 at 20:16 Reason: video clip
Old 2015-11-29, 17:15   #43
davar55

May 2004
New York City

3×1,409 Posts

Quote:
Any that can build a fence and make the trains run on time.
OK, your wish is ... oops, I can't do that.
Old 2015-11-29, 18:29   #44
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

EAA16 Posts

Quote:
OK, your wish is ... oops, I can't do that.
Where is Mussolini when we need him?