mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2014-08-09, 02:54   #1
Beaumont

Jul 2014

22 Posts
Default prime95 and Chrome

I'm running prime95 with Priority 1. For just about all processes and programs that I run, the priority system seems to be working, prime95 drops down and the other process takes over.

However, Chrome does not work that way. For the first few weeks of running prime95 on my new computer everything worked fine, including Chrome. However, at some point (and I don't know what changed if anything), Chrome stopped taking priority over prime95. It takes a long time to change tabs, type anything, open Chrome, let alone actually perform anything. But the instant that I stop all my worker threads, Chrome catches back up to itself and everything I clicked or tried to do snaps into place.

Is this a known issue with a known fix? Any suggestions? I've been working like this for about three weeks now and I'm getting tired of pulling up prime95 and stopping it every time I want to go online. Also, my girlfriend tends to forget to start prime95 back up which defeats the purpose of having it running.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Beaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 04:40   #2
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11·157 Posts

http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=19502

I'm glad to see someone else is having this problem too. Sorry you're having the problems, though. I know they can be frustrating. Other people use this PC but until now they wouldn't even know Prime is running. Now, I'm considering just giving up and running just three workers so that chrome can respond properly.
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 04:48   #3
Beaumont

Jul 2014

416 Posts

Yeah, I saw that thread right after I posted mine. Did loading an older version of Chrome solve your issue at all?
Beaumont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 05:22   #4
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

5·11·157 Posts

There is not only Chrome, but other programs too, including Acrobat Reader (newer versions after v9, that is years ago already), just to say one of the most known tool. All this programs have in common the fact that they have parts of them (threads) running at priority 1, same as P95, so they won't push P95 out of the way.

For all these, there is a simple solution, discussed already many times, "pause one thread while running xxxx program". See undoc.txt

[edit: the bad guy in me says: use firefox! hehe]

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-08-09 at 05:23
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 05:46   #5
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

8,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
There is not only Chrome, but other programs too, including Acrobat Reader (newer versions after v9, that is years ago already), just to say one of the most known tool. All this programs have in common the fact that they have parts of them (threads) running at priority 1, same as P95, so they won't push P95 out of the way.
I noticed once, when installing Acrobat Reader X, that the install program had that problem.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 06:05   #6
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

110101111112 Posts

I looked into changing the priorities. In Windows 7's task manager, I can right click processes to see their priority and change it. There are multiple Chrome.exe's (it has always been this way), some of which run at "normal" priority and some of which run at "below normal" priority. What confuses me is prime95.exe runs at "normal" priority. There is also a "low" which is not used.
Old 2014-08-09, 06:09   #7
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11·157 Posts

Setting everything to normal did nothing. Same issues. Is the 1-10 numbering system a Windows 95 relic?
Old 2014-08-09, 06:46   #8
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

9,923 Posts

As to Prime95 priority, George has explained that it operates at a different level than that accessed through Task Manager > Processes. I don't remember the terminology for these different mechanisms, but P95 is supposed to run so that it always yields to other processes, regardless of the Normal setting seen in Task Manager. Unfortunately, a number of Adobe applications, including Photoshop, get stalled by P95 running on all cores. I used
Code:
PauseWhileRunning=photoshop[3],bridge[3]
in Prime.txt for quite some time when the CPU was completely occupied. The numbers in square brackets indicate how many cores to stop.

Currently, I have this line commented as I'm only using 6 of 8 cores for P95.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2014-08-09 at 06:47
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 07:20   #9
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

5·11·157 Posts

What you can set in task manager as priority, from lowest to highest, translated to the "numbers" scale of P95 into something like 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11 (take that with a grain of salt, it can be like 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, or a bit different, according with how old your OS is, and with if memory won't fail me, you can google for it).

You are not able to access the lowest/highest "numbers" from task manager. Those "low, below normal" etc, are limited to the priority class you are in. The full priority is a larger number. Also, whatever you set there (in task manager), affects only the main process/thread, and not the "subprocesses/subthreads" which were already spawned. However, the security model that the cpu is using, says that a process can not spawn a thread with a higher priority than itself. So, think about like if you are not admin, then you can not execute a program in admin mode, but if you are admin, you can execute program in both admin and user mode. Same with priorities, you can not start a process with priority 3 if you have priority 2.

Therefore, if you set a process to "below normal", all processes spawned by it after that moment will run "below normal" (which again, is like a screen-saver priority, somewhere at 5 or 7, on P95's scale).

Real life example:

I use Aliqueit to factor aliquots sequences. I usually start it with /LOW in the batch, but sometime I forget, and start it normally by typing the command. Aliqueit will start yafu to factor large composites, and during the ECM phase, yafu will start 8 copies of gmp/ecm for EACH curve (times 8) he is doing, i.e. start ecm, do a curve, ecm exits and sends resut to yafu, if the number of curves is not enough, another ecm process is spawn, and so on. Now the computer runs like shit and AutoCad/etc lags a lot, and I suddenly remember that I forgot about priorities. I go to task manager and set the priority of aliqueit to "low".

What's happening then? Well, the computer still runs like shit, until the current index is factored and yafu exits, because yafu was started before, so it still runs "normal pri". I must go to yafu, and set its priority to low too, so the current instance of yafu will run "low pri". But then, AutoCad still runs like shit for few seconds until the eight copies of ecm end their job and exit. (I could set their priority to low too, but is too much effort, they will finish in few seconds anyhow, and re-spawn). Then, Autocad runs well. New ecm spawned by yafu will have low priority, and when the C120 is factored and yafu exits, aliqueit will go to the next index and launch yafu again, also low priority, because now aliqueit has low priority, and he can't spawn "normal pri" processes. Then everything works as from the book in AutoCad. I hope this example fixes some things. And I used AutoCad only as example, any resource-demanding tool will fit.

TL;dr version:
for details about priorities and classes see here and here.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2014-08-09 at 07:38 Reason: links added, s/sued/used/
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 18:15   #10
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

2,753 Posts

A recent update of chrome caused this problem for me too.I put the following line in prime.txt and it seems to have solved the issue.
Code:
PauseWhileRunning=chrome.exe[1]
It was annoying losing a day's worth of crunching every time I forgot to turn Prime95 back on.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-10, 22:41   #11
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11·157 Posts

Is there a way to control which worker is stopped?