mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Science & Technology

Old 2019-10-28, 20:21   #419
Spherical Cow

Nov 2004

2×269 Posts

From the XKCD web comic- One of my sons immediately thought of me when he saw it (since I'm a geophysicist), but I immediately thought of the good Doctor Mayer.

Norm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA-Geophysicists-01.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	21214  
Spherical Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-02, 19:38   #420
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

11,399 Posts

Ha, ha, nice. A stick figure after my own curmudgeonly heart!
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-16, 22:40   #421
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

11,399 Posts

Updated USGS Model Puts East And South Bay In Jeopardy Of Catastrophic Quake | SFist.org
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-07, 21:33   #422
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

CF916 Posts

6.4 quake strikes Puerto Rico amid heavy seismic activity
Quote:
GUAYANILLA, Puerto Rico (AP) — A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico before dawn on Tuesday, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.

The quake was followed by a series of strong aftershocks, part of a 10-day series of temblors spawned by the grinding of tectonic plates along three faults beneath southern Puerto Rico. Seismologists say it’s impossible to predict when the quakes will stop or whether they will get stronger.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-11, 20:28   #423
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

CF916 Posts

Magnitude 5.9 shock again rocks quake-stunned Puerto Rico
Quote:
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A magnitude 5.9 quake shook Puerto Rico on Saturday, causing millions of dollars of damage along the island’s southern coast, where previous recent quakes have toppled homes and schools.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 8:54 a.m. (1254 GMT) quake hit 8 miles (13 kilometers) southeast of Guanica at a shallow depth of 3 miles (5 kilometers). It was followed by several aftershocks, including a magnitude 5.2 temblor less than two minutes later.

No injuries or deaths were reported, officials said.
Old 2020-01-12, 09:19   #424
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×7×709 Posts

Those poor battered people.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-13, 13:06   #425
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

1100111110012 Posts

The first story has a nice picture of what appears to be "volcanic lightning," lightning generated by the volcanic ash cloud.

Volcano erupts near Manila; villagers flee, airports shut
Quote:
January 12, 2020
AGAYTAY, Philippines (AP) — A small volcano near the Philippine capital that draws tourists for its picturesque setting in a lake erupted with a massive plume of ash and steam Sunday, prompting the evacuation of tens of thousands of people and forcing Manila's international airport to shut down.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said Taal Volcano in Batangas province south of Manila blasted steam, ash and pebbles up to 10 to 15 kilometers (6 to 9 miles) into the sky in a dramatic escalation of its growing restiveness, which began last year.
Lava gushes from volcano near Manila; tens of thousands flee
Quote:
January 13, 2020
TAGAYTAY, Philippines (AP) — Red-hot lava gushed out of a volcano near the Philippine capital on Monday, as tens of thousands of people fled the area through heavy ash and frightening tremors. Experts warned that the eruption could get worse and plans were being made to evacuate hundreds of thousands more.

Clouds of ash blew more than 100 kilometers (62 miles) north of the Taal volcano on Sunday, reaching Manila, the bustling capital, and forcing the shutdown of the country’s main airport, with more than 500 flights canceled. The airport was partially reopened Monday after the ashfall eased.

There have been no reports of casualties or major damage so far. A truck, however, skidded out of control and fell on its side on an ash-blanketed road, killing the driver and injuring three companions in southern Laguna province in an accident police said may be linked to the slippery road conditions.
Old 2020-01-14, 15:10   #426
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

34×41 Posts

Philippine volcano trembles more, spews lava half-mile high
Quote:
January 14, 2020
TAGAYTAY, Philippines (AP) — A volcano near the Philippine capital spewed lava into the sky and trembled constantly Tuesday, possibly portending a bigger and more dangerous eruption, as tens of thousands of people fled villages darkened and blanketed by heavy ash.

Government work was suspended and schools were closed in a number of towns and cities, including Manila, because of health risks from the ash. Hundreds of flights were canceled or delayed, affecting tens of thousands of passengers.

The continued restiveness of the Taal volcano and several new fissures in the ground nearby likely mean magma is rising and may lead to further eruptive activity, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said.

The volcano was spurting fountains of red-hot lava 800 meters (half a mile) into the sky, and the massive column of ash and volcanic debris at times lit up with streaks of lightning.
Old 2020-01-19, 04:17   #427
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×7×709 Posts

The photo is from 2013. It is taken from the rim of the crater of Taal, on Volcano Island. The nearer water is the crater lake. The further is a bit of the caldera, Lake Taal. The latter is roughly elliptical and something like 17 km on the longer dimension. When we saw it there was a lot of tilapia farming in the caldera lake, which is warmed from below. I imagine that is totally demolished. Of course, the crater lake is but a memory for now.

Correction: The caldera is about 25 x 30 km.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9936.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	21640  

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-01-19 at 16:42 Reason: typo
Old 2020-01-19, 05:30   #428
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×7×709 Posts
Default Taal Update – Ongoing Intrusion

https://www.volcanocafe.org/taal-upd...ing-intrusion/
It is amusing to see Taal referred to as e World's Smallest Volcano." That is in reference to Volcano Island itself. In fact, in most of the 50 km excursion from Manila, the road was climbing the very gentle slope of this shield-like monster. It got steeper as we neared the caldera rim. The lake was quite far down from there.

"Guest post from Héctor (DustDevil). There will be a further update either later today or tomorrow as events have changed since Héctor wrote this post."

Quote:
The Main Crater of Taal seems to have calmed down, doesn’t it? However fissures are breaking the ground apart, the river dries, Lake Taal falls and strong earthquakes keep coming. What exactly is going on right now at Taal behind all of these changes?

As I have mentioned a couple of times in the commentary section of the previous post a dyke intrusion seems to be occurring. This is not something you are going to see in the news, at least not the word “dyke”, and at least so far. However, for someone with a particular and deep interest in the workings of rift zones and basaltic volcanoes (like me) what was happening seems obvious.

And don’t let the enormous caldera of Taal fool you, it is a basaltic volcano after all! Might have done a couple of large silicic eruptions in the past with ignimbrites but currently, it has more in common with a shield volcano.
The Macolod Corridor
To understand Taal knowing about the setting is necessary.

Taal is located in the Macolod Corridor, an area varied volcanism, basalts, andesites and dacites are found here. It spans a 60 km long area of southern Luzon, Philippines. Even though small in area there is a number of volcanoes, you find 2 large calderas, Laguna de Bay and Taal plus a number of stratovolcanoes (Banahaw, Makelunyo, Makiling) and monogenetic vents: maars, cones and domes.

The secret to the productivity of this region is rifting, you can think of it as a small continental rift. The rifting nature of the Macolod Corridor is well agreed upon, but how this affects Taal and its eruptive history has never really been considered.
EDIT: From the Comments, with the intro, "Someone managed to reach the Main Crater, very careless." I would begin with "some Idiot." However, it is amazing to see.

They must be quite athletic. The climb is very steep. We had stunted horses to ride, with someone behind whipping and yelling at it to keep it going. We had no idea what we were getting into when our friend booked the tour. I had a raw spot on my tail bone for days after.
Do hit the YouTube button so you can see it full screen. WARNING! Loud explosions! Loud exclamations. Phone video and lots of smoke and steam. I guess they got back alive since we're seeing it. No way there was service out there that they could have uploaded to.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-01-19 at 08:04 Reason: comment & insane video
Old 2020-01-19, 22:17   #429
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

5·19·107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
[URL]"Guest post from Héctor (DustDevil). There will be a further update either later today or tomorrow as events have changed since Héctor wrote this post."
And you can be even more certain that no-one (except me, obviously) is going to point out that a Dutch guy isn't going to stick his finger in the dyke.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote