Old 2010-04-27, 22:12   #78
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiK-oz View Post
Well, I hate having 8 cmd windows in my taskbar. So I spawn the prpclient from my wrapper, hiding the cmd windows and capturing stdout and stderr to fetch the % completed into 8 progressbars. This works just fine. However, on exiting the wrapper, I would like to stop the prpclient processes cleanly, to avoid losing any work processed.
In addition to Mark's suggestion of Console2 (which does sound quite handy--I've always appreciated such funtionality in Linux and would find it quite handy for Windows as well, so I'll have to check it out), some other options for managing multiple console windows can be found in posts #50 and #51 of this thread. Some of them actually push the console window into the background (which prevents its being easily killed "nicely" under Windows), while others just hide the windows on another "virtual desktop".
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 22:54   #79
runesk

Oct 2008
Trondheim, Norway

19 Posts

If you're using C# to code this "console grabber", this is a known problem.

One would think that implementing GenerateConsoleCtrlEvent should do the trick, but alas. The second argument is supposed to be the process group ID, but most C# code will start processes using System.Diagnostics.Process, which do not have a way of setting this needed process group ID.

The "most common" advice on the net, is to create a small app that takes a process id as an argument, attaches that process, and the utilizes GenerateConsoleCtrlEvent using 0 (zero) as the process group id (sending Ctrl-C to both the attached process and it self).

This might not be your problem at all, and just ignore my blurbs if they do not help ;)

.R

Last fiddled with by runesk on 2010-04-27 at 22:54 Reason: found a typo
runesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 15:09   #80
DigiK-oz

Jul 2008

23×3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runesk View Post

This might not be your problem at all, and just ignore my blurbs if they do not help ;)

.R
Guess what...That is EXACTLY the problem I run in to. I found some articles explaining this "extra process" approach, I find that clumsy to say the least, but might have to resort to it anyway, still trying some different approaches.

LLR indeed seems to checkpoint every 30 minutes, that's not too bad, it'll lose an average of 15 minutes if a client is killed. I still think the 2.4.x prp client and/or llr behave differently, because with that version I still seem to fall back way further even if I leave it for more than half an hour. I do see the zxxxxx file being updated every half hour, though...

Thanks for the replies here they gave me a much better insight in prp,llr and their friends :-)
DigiK-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-02, 08:38   #81
runesk

Oct 2008
Trondheim, Norway

19 Posts
Smile Some more or less usefull stats from prprnet

During our struggle to keep Ars behind this late winter/early spring, I've made a tool that gives an overview of users/teams and clients from the PRPnet server.

http://tools.1up.no/psp/stats/

It might not be obvious, but every user is a link, and will give you more information about that user.

Bugs/feature requests/ideas can be sent to tools@1up.no

.R
runesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 23:04   #82
Joe O

Aug 2002

52510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runesk View Post
Nice tool!

The old test it shows for me was dropped by PRPnet when the website went down. I finished it manually and sent it to LTD but he hasn't cleared it yet.
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 18:20   #83
Dead J. Dona

Feb 2007
Kiev, Ukraine

2110 Posts
Question what should I do?

root@vz****:~/prp/prpclient-2.4.7-linux# ./4-quad-start-prpclient.sh
~/prp/prpclient-2.4.7-linux/prpclient-1 ~/prp/prpclient-2.4.7-linux
./4-quad-start-prpclient.sh: line 2: xterm: command not found
Dead J. Dona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 22:27   #84
ltd

Apr 2003

22×193 Posts

No clue why you get the command not found in the scripts.
But you should upgrade to the 4.x client and connect to the new servers.
The two old 2.x servers are out of work and will not get any new work anymore.

Look in the first two post of this thread for details for the server connections.

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=14467
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 10:13   #85
Dead J. Dona

Feb 2007
Kiev, Ukraine

3×7 Posts

Oh, just not crunching for long...

May there's a good idea to unstick some old topics and stick some new? ))

Also I'm wondering how to run prpclient in linux for 8 cores.
Dead J. Dona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 16:35   #86
ltd

Apr 2003

22·193 Posts

Sorry for the late answer.

First you are right about the sticky article. Must be replaced with something new.

Second about your actual problem. Sorry I have not used linux so I can not be of any help.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-06, 02:30   #87
Lennart

"Lennart"
Jun 2007

25×5×7 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyrt View Post
Hi drakkar.

It's fully possible, you'll have to set up your own PRPNet-server. In other words, one of the computers has to run the server software, but I see no problem with it running the client aswell.

What OS are you running? I should be able to give you a step by step guide to setting up prpserver, because Sloth helped me set up one a few days ago.

There are no problem to run clients on the same computer ar the server. Just think about leaving one core to MySQL and check your memory.

Lennart

Last fiddled with by Lennart on 2012-06-06 at 02:30
Lennart is offline   Reply With Quote