mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Sierpinski Project

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-10-08, 12:38   #45
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,851 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyrt View Post
Hi rogue.

I think you misunderstood... I want the prpclient to finish the test it's running and don't get a new one. Kind of like "no new tasks" or what it's called in boinc.
Then use ^C and select the option to "Complete and report" option. That will complete the current test, then shut down the client after the test result is reported to the server.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 15:26   #46
opyrt
 
opyrt's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
Oslo, Norway

7×31 Posts
Default

Sorry, but I still don't understand... :-/

What should I set these to?
Code:
// This option is used to default the startup option if the previous
// shutdown left uncompleted workunits.
//    0 - prompt
//    1 - Return completed work units and abandon the rest
//    2 - Complete assigned work units
startoption=2
// This option is used to default the stop option when the client
// is terminated
//    0 - prompt
//    1 - Return completed work units and abandon the rest
//    2 - Return completed work units
//    3 - Do nothing with current work units and terminate the process
stopoption=2
opyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 16:35   #47
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

10110110110112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyrt View Post
Sorry, but I still don't understand... :-/

What should I set these to?
Code:
// This option is used to default the startup option if the previous
// shutdown left uncompleted workunits.
//    0 - prompt
//    1 - Return completed work units and abandon the rest
//    2 - Complete assigned work units
startoption=2
// This option is used to default the stop option when the client
// is terminated
//    0 - prompt
//    1 - Return completed work units and abandon the rest
//    2 - Return completed work units
//    3 - Do nothing with current work units and terminate the process
stopoption=2
My bad. I guess there is no option to complete the current workunits, report them, then shutdown. I'll have to add that.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 16:59   #48
opyrt
 
opyrt's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
Oslo, Norway

7·31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
My bad. I guess there is no option to complete the current workunits, report them, then shutdown. I'll have to add that.
Haha, well that explains why I was not able to get it to work!
Thank you for clearing things up!
opyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-13, 06:33   #49
Bio1ogics
 
Oct 2009

3 Posts
Default

Hey guys, just updated the new clients (XP). Any way of getting the clients in the systray?
Not much to look at, all these console windows on my taskbar
Bio1ogics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 11:22   #50
opyrt
 
opyrt's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
Oslo, Norway

D916 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio1ogics View Post
Any way of getting the clients in the systray?
Not much to look at, all these console windows on my taskbar
Hi Bio1ogics!

Unfortunately, there is no way to get the PRPclients to minimize to systray as they are command windows.

The closest thing I can think of is using HIDEDOS.EXE (http://community.landesk.com/support...65/HideDos.zip) to hide the windows entirely. I have not tested it myself.
opyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 15:31   #51
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3·2,083 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyrt View Post
Hi Bio1ogics!

Unfortunately, there is no way to get the PRPclients to minimize to systray as they are command windows.

The closest thing I can think of is using HIDEDOS.EXE (http://community.landesk.com/support...65/HideDos.zip) to hide the windows entirely. I have not tested it myself.
Two other options that I've used myself are runh.exe (google for it), which runs an application in the background (which presumably is what hidedos.exe does as well), and hideit.exe (I don't remember where I got it but I posted it to the forum a while back in response to a similar query), which allows one to selectively hide and unhide windows.

A third option, my personal favorite, is to install Microsoft's Virtual Desktop Manager PowerToy (can be found here), which gives you 4 "virtual desktops" à la Linux, each with its own set of windows that don't show up on the others. What I do is put all my prime-search stuff on desktop #2, and do my work on desktop #1. If I want to check on the prime-search stuff, all I have to do is switch to desktop #2 and boom, it's right there. This application can also be useful for organizing other types of windows as well--say, if I want to leave one window open so I can refer to it but without it clogging up my desktop.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 18:38   #52
Bio1ogics
 
Oct 2009

310 Posts
Default

Thanks, both opyrt and mdettweiler for your replies.
I was hoping a command line parameter would do the trick, but it looks like i have to wait for that feature (hint hint).

Another Q: will the old client be completely useless in a while? I rather liked it. Because, to be honest, the new client so far is definitely not 'significantly faster'.
Bio1ogics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-14, 21:52   #53
rogue
 
rogue's Avatar
 
"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,851 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio1ogics View Post
Thanks, both opyrt and mdettweiler for your replies.
I was hoping a command line parameter would do the trick, but it looks like i have to wait for that feature (hint hint).

Another Q: will the old client be completely useless in a while? I rather liked it. Because, to be honest, the new client so far is definitely not 'significantly faster'.
I won't make any changes to "hide the client". It will be up to others to find tools to do that for them. I guess I'm wary of a few projects/applications that have been black-listed due to users setting them up to run "hidden" from other users.

The 2.3 client will be good for a while. The new client isn't supposed to be faster. It is just supposed to be more stable than the previous client.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 06:22   #54
Bio1ogics
 
Oct 2009

3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I won't make any changes to "hide the client". It will be up to others to find tools to do that for them. I guess I'm wary of a few projects/applications that have been black-listed due to users setting them up to run "hidden" from other users.
Ah, i understand your reasons.

Quote:
The 2.3 client will be good for a while. The new client isn't supposed to be faster. It is just supposed to be more stable than the previous client.

Err, ltd in the startpost
Quote:
As the client is faster then the old llrnet client I would suggest that everybody slowly moves over to the new prpnet setup.
Anyways, would it be possible to use the old client, but pointing to www.psp-project.de:7100 instead of the old setting in lrr-clientconfig.txt ?
( which is in mine:
server = "pspnet.no-ip.info"
port = 12984
)
Bio1ogics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-15, 07:02   #55
opyrt
 
opyrt's Avatar
 
Apr 2008
Oslo, Norway

7×31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio1ogics View Post
Err, ltd in the startpost

Quote:
As the client is faster then the old llrnet client I would suggest that everybody slowly moves over to the new prpnet setup.
The new client (as opposed to LLRNet) is much faster as it is based on a significantly newer version of the LLR software. I did some quick tests and saw as much as a 20% increase in speed on some tests.
opyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting up PRPnet Mattyp101 Conjectures 'R Us 2 2011-02-07 13:53
PRPNet 4.0.1 Released Joe O Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5 1 2010-10-22 20:11
PRPNet 3.0.0 Released rogue Conjectures 'R Us 220 2010-10-12 20:48
PRPnet mdettweiler No Prime Left Behind 80 2010-02-09 21:31
PRPNet released! rogue Conjectures 'R Us 250 2009-12-27 21:29

All times are UTC. The time now is 01:20.

Tue Aug 11 01:20:19 UTC 2020 up 24 days, 21:07, 1 user, load averages: 1.52, 1.53, 1.51

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.