Old 2010-05-10, 17:03   #34
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2C8716 Posts
Default DNA Study Indicates Neandertals & Humans Interbred

Scientists Discover New Proof of the Neanderthal Within:

It turns out there really is a little caveman in a lot of us.An international team of scientists has for the first time decoded the complete Neanderthal genome, and the results, to be reported in the May 7 issue of Science, offer new insights into our closest evolutionary relatives and an exciting new way to explore the genetic basis of what makes humans unique. But the big news? The scientists also found evidence that humans and Neanderthals interbred. And the results of that prehistoric coupling can be found in most people's DNA.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 13:18   #35
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts
Default Non PC but I love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEep67akIn4

David
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-11, 22:05   #36
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

100011011110002 Posts

Harsh Reaction to Chemistry Claims Cast Doubt on Reactome Paper

("old" news, sorry ...wandered there from a sub-story about Neandertal jewelry and even earlier links to absence of cross-species mating which was then believed)

Last fiddled with by Batalov on 2010-05-11 at 22:11 Reason: (not the same Neandertal issue)
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 17:26   #37
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

A new feature by the European Space Agency side of the Hubble project:

Hubble Picture of the Week

http://www.spacetelescope.org/images/potw/

(BTW, the Space Telescope Science Institute site is http://www.stsci.edu/)

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2010-05-18 at 17:31
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 16:53   #38
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

11,399 Posts
Default C-Diff Goes Airborne

New Way Bacterium Spreads in Hospital
Quote:
Health care workers and patients have yet another source of hospital-acquired infection to worry about, British researchers are reporting.

Clostridium difficile, a germ that causes deadly intestinal infections in hospital patients, has long been thought to be spread only by contact with contaminated surfaces. But a new study finds that it can also travel through the air.

The researchers emphasized that there is no evidence that C. difficile can be contracted by inhaling the germs. Rather, they float on the air, landing in places where more people can touch them.

The bug is commonly spread by contact with infected feces, and the British scientists said the new study made it even more urgent to isolate hospital patients with diarrhea as soon as possible — even before tests confirm a C. difficile infection.

“We don’t want people to wait for the confirmation,” said the study’s senior author, Dr. Mark H. Wilcox, a professor of medical microbiology at the University of Leeds. “By then, the cat’s out of the bag.”
My Comment: With respect to the bolded text, I would have preferred "the shit has hit the fan" as being a more appropriate metaphor.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 09:00   #39
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2·3·13·83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
New Way Bacterium Spreads in Hospital

My Comment: With respect to the bolded text, I would have preferred "the shit has hit the fan" as being a more appropriate metaphor.
My favourite metaphor

As for the bolded text, he meant:
"By the time the cat is out of the bag, the horse has bolted".

CJ

Last fiddled with by davieddy on 2010-05-27 at 09:02
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 09:41   #40
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

22·23·61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
... "the shit has hit the fan" ...
Erm, do you mean that the unwanted brown pungent waste matter has hit the rotating air displacement device?

So now we need a thread to enumerate all the possible expansions of "the shit has hit the fan".
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 16:38   #41
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

1000000111012 Posts
Default PANIC!

Aliens are coming!
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-29, 09:16   #42
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

11110000011002 Posts
Default SOFIA first-light

"Giant airplane-mounted telescope sees first light!"

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...s-first-light/
Old 2010-05-29, 17:41   #43
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7·11·109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
"Giant airplane-mounted telescope sees first light!"
Finally. I was sad that the KAO was taken out of service to help fund this. The importance of having a major telescope that one can move to a specific ground track is huge.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-04, 11:55   #44
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

769210 Posts

"BREAKING: Another Jupiter impact?"

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...pact/#comments

Quote:
[Update (19:00 Mountain time): CONFIRMED! A poster on the Unmanned Space Flight forum reports that another amateur astronomer, Christopher Go (link goes to home page, no news there yet) has confirmed Anthony Wesley's observation and also has video. Though I'm having some trouble playing it, I did see the flash in the video. I think it's safe to call this one real!]

[UPDATE 2: Wesley has put up his video, and it's very cool. The impact is, um, pretty obvious. Bright, too, which makes me think this was a significant object. I'm very surprised at how quickly it brightens and fades, though; I'd expect the flash from the object itself to last a few seconds, and then to see some sort of glowing plume. Perhaps the object itself was a small comet or a loosely packed asteroid -- a so-called "rubble pile " -- which fell apart and vaporized while still high in the atmosphere. I'm guessing, so I'll wait and see what the experts say soon.]

In what turns out to be a major coincidence, Anthony Wesley, an amateur astronomer in Australia, is reporting that he recorded another impact on Jupiter! This time he has video of the impact, which he claims was quite bright and lasted about two seconds.