mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-01-23, 04:34   #12
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22·1,051 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I was just thinking:
With the work that Raphael Robinson, he published his data. Those before only published if it was or was not a prime. With a number of the later searchers, they published residues and known factors. All of those were eyeball friendly. This was good when George started GIMPS, we could DC previous work, because the previous data was available.

My suggestion is:
Work with Archive.org to set up a repository of Mersenne data from the various projects. ...

This is just me thinking about preserving the most important data long term.
Hames H and Madpoo could weigh in here, about the size of the databases, and the likelihood they exceed what archive.org will tackle. As I recall, the PrimeNet server is now gathering 2048-bit residues, and periodic residues along the way for each prime exponent from first test and from subsequent test(s), as well as TF and P-1 data. That's not small.
The forum itself is not replicated on archive.org, except for the top level, a listing of threads. I believe it has a robots.txt entry to tell web crawlers to stay out. I learned that the hard way, after accidentally deleting an entire blog thread. There's now a separate backup mechanism for my blog, that I can manually run about weekly and takes a fraction of an hour. But that's only useful while I'm available.
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-23, 13:22   #13
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

7,573 Posts
Default

We thought we had it set up to specifically allow the IA and Google to crawl the forum.
Code:
User-agent: ia_archiver
Disallow:
User-agent: Googlebot
Disallow:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /
Crawl-delay: 60
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-23, 16:22   #14
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22·1,051 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We thought we had it set up to specifically allow the IA and Google to crawl the forum.
Code:
User-agent: ia_archiver
Disallow:
User-agent: Googlebot
Disallow:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /
Crawl-delay: 60
robots.txt is only advisory, in any event, a suggestion or request, not a well enforced law.
If you do not specifically allow anything to any crawler (Allow does not appear there), specifically disallow nothing to a couple of specific user agents, and follow that by specifically disallowing the entire site, for all user agents, what happens?


Specific to the internet archive,
Code:
The volunteering group Archive Team explicitly ignores robots.txt for  the most part, viewing it as an obsolete standard that hinders web  archival efforts. According to project leader Jason Scott, "unchecked,  and left alone, the robots.txt file ensures no mirroring or reference  for items that may have general use and meaning beyond the website's  context."[19] 
For some years, the Internet Archive did not crawl sites with robots.txt, but in April 2017, it announced[20]  that it would no longer honour directives in the robots.txt files.  “Over time we have observed that the robots.txt files that are geared  toward search engine crawlers do not necessarily serve our archival  purposes".[21] This was in response to entire domains being tagged with robots.txt when the content became obsolete.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robots_exclusion_standard


But for whatever reason, it seems to be only getting the top page. Check it out:
http://web.archive.org/web/202001170...enneforum.org/
Links from that page to posts or threads are not archived. That may be an issue with the internet archive, not the robots.txt. http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...nneforum.org/*

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2020-01-23 at 16:27
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-23, 21:40   #15
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

32·72·19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Hames H and Madpoo could weigh in here, about the size of the databases, and the likelihood they exceed what archive.org will tackle. As I recall, the PrimeNet server is now gathering 2048-bit residues, and periodic residues along the way for each prime exponent from first test and from subsequent test(s), as well as TF and P-1 data. That's not small.
A 128-bit residue would be plenty. There would be no need for interim residues to be stored. TF data can be a summary of bits done and if the last bit was completed if a factor was found. P-1 can be trimmed up, if someone ran exponent Z 3 times with increasing bounds, doesn't the largest set cover the lessor? We are only concerned about what would be needed for someone to resume the project if all the current infrastructure goes away.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 00:50   #16
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

11101100101012 Posts
Default

As an experiment, we have disabled the robots.txt file.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 01:49   #17
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

106C16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
A 128-bit residue would be plenty. There would be no need for interim residues to be stored. TF data can be a summary of bits done and if the last bit was completed if a factor was found. P-1 can be trimmed up, if someone ran exponent Z 3 times with increasing bounds, doesn't the largest set cover the lessor? We are only concerned about what would be needed for someone to resume the project if all the current infrastructure goes away.
If I recall correctly, the 2048-bit residues are necessary for PRP cofactor work and relate to one of Gerbicz's ideas. To continue forward with exponents in progress toward double/triple check conclusion, it would be useful if their interim residues remained available. Not a requirement, but useful. P-1 done could be represented by a single bounds set, IF the largest B1 and largest B2 were in the SAME run to completion. Completed DC/TC of primality test of an exponent would need residue type, and res64.
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 06:09   #18
Bulldozer
 
Jun 2019

2110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainchill View Post
Hey Folks - just a little list of things I have been thinking about to start the new year with.


13. Primenet stop automatically assigning first time tests to clients running older builds.
14. Have separate shell and execution core. When new code is ready it can automatically download the new execution code similar to how folding@home works. And/or possibly join boinc.

17. Add a timebomb to prevent Prime95 from accepting work assignments from the server if the client build is more than 3 years from the date it was compiled. This will prevent old builds from running forever, encourage folks to upgrade, and help prevent old potentially buggy or unoptimized code from staying out there too long. Older build would only work for testing and benchmarks.
These can be solved by a UWP port. I am currently doing it. Microsoft store has automatic updates, and WinRT(UWP) apps have separate UI and logical code.
Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-24, 22:52   #19
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

29×79 Posts
Default

Another thing I recently realized is that the project as a whole needs to be modernized. In particular, here are two ideas that can be implemented without too much trouble:

1. All available source code should be uploaded to public repositories. This would encourage people to contribute code as well as make it easier to keep track of issues. So far, only mfakto, gpuOwl and CUDAPm1 use publicly accessible version control systems.
2. It would be nice to have official GIMPS social media accounts. Although not very important in the grand scheme of things, this could potentially bring in more users. GIMPS remains one of the few distributed computing projects without a social media presence.

Last fiddled with by ixfd64 on 2020-04-24 at 22:53
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-27, 22:33   #20
Dylan14
 
Dylan14's Avatar
 
"Dylan"
Mar 2017

7608 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
Another thing I recently realized is that the project as a whole needs to be modernized. In particular, here are two ideas that can be implemented without too much trouble:

1. All available source code should be uploaded to public repositories. This would encourage people to contribute code as well as make it easier to keep track of issues. So far, only mfakto, gpuOwl and CUDAPm1 use publicly accessible version control systems.
I definitely agree with this, even though the source code is publicly available on the download page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64 View Post
2. It would be nice to have official GIMPS social media accounts. Although not very important in the grand scheme of things, this could potentially bring in more users. GIMPS remains one of the few distributed computing projects without a social media presence.
Certainly this would help in getting the word out, especially when a prime is found. We may want to be a bit careful with the handle, however, since when I search for GIMPS on social media (ie Facebook, Twitter or Instagram) I get either
1) the software GIMP, the GNU Image Manipulator Program or
2) people calling others gimps, which is apparently a derogatory term. But I suppose that's neither here nor there.
Dylan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-02, 23:00   #21
Viliam Furik
 
Jul 2018
Martin, Slovakia

34 Posts
Default GIMPS logo and social media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan14 View Post
Certainly this would help in getting the word out, especially when a prime is found.
I have made a Facebook profile (here) for the GIMPS using a logo I created. The logo was approved by George as "quite good".

If somebody is interested in co-administrating the profile, please send me a message.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LOGO_2_small.png
Views:	38
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	22240   Click image for larger version

Name:	LOGO_2_globe.png
Views:	32
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	22241  
Viliam Furik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-03, 07:06   #22
Nick
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Dec 2012
The Netherlands

3·11·43 Posts
Default

If you include a geometric figure then I think it would be better if it was mathematically accurate!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issues with Prime95 v29.8 Build 3? eliteassassin Software 15 2019-06-09 18:14
a few suggestions for Prime95 ixfd64 Software 7 2010-08-26 19:02
Suggestions for a new Prime95 version joblack Software 21 2009-01-29 03:10
hardware suggestions for a second prime95 pc? joblack Hardware 8 2009-01-06 04:55
Suggestions for new Prime95 release joblack Software 0 2008-10-17 23:44

All times are UTC. The time now is 22:40.

Wed Aug 5 22:40:08 UTC 2020 up 19 days, 18:26, 2 users, load averages: 1.67, 1.76, 1.63

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.