mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2005-05-02, 20:15   #1
Vijay
 
Apr 2005

1001102 Posts
Red face GIMPS should pay

I think GIMPS should pay us for supporting and contributing our PC cycles to them,
maybe just Β£1 for every exponent checked.
That way we'll attract more people to join in the search.
Vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-02, 20:52   #2
moo
 
moo's Avatar
 
Jul 2004
Nowhere

11001010012 Posts
Default

do you know how much that would cost..... are you insane 1 euro is like 1.7 us dollars, and since this is a non profit project then how would you expect the funding to happen....
moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-02, 21:12   #3
Mystwalker
 
Mystwalker's Avatar
 
Jul 2004
Potsdam, Germany

33F16 Posts
Default

He uses pounds, so ~ $1.9

See it this way:
Currently, when you find a 10M+ digit prime, you'll get ~$50,000. The chance is ~1/250,000 per test.
So, in average, a 10M+ digit test already gives you $0.20...
Mystwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-03, 18:21   #4
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22·5·373 Posts
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay
I think GIMPS should pay us for supporting and contributing our PC cycles to them,
maybe just Β£1 for every exponent checked.
That way we'll attract more people to join in the search.


I am *already* opposed to the prize money being offered.

Speaking just for myself, I believe that people who contribute CPU cycles
should do either because it is fun, or because they are interested in
pushing computing limits, but NOT for any monetary reward.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-03, 20:17   #5
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·72·109 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman


I am *already* opposed to the prize money being offered.

Speaking just for myself, I believe that people who contribute CPU cycles
should do either because it is fun, or because they are interested in
pushing computing limits, but NOT for any monetary reward.
Speaking for myself:
a) dealing with prize money for factoring numbers has always given acute rectal discomfort.
b) either you, or I, or both of us needs to turn up our irony sensitivity a little.


Paul
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-03, 21:15   #6
Zeta-Flux
 
Zeta-Flux's Avatar
 
May 2003

7·13·17 Posts
Default

I like money, personally. I don't mind an added benefit to helping mankind by searching for primes. :) Besides, it helps me decide which of the many good programs I could run in the background would be the best use of power.
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-03, 23:16   #7
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter
 
ixfd64's Avatar
 
"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

45168 Posts
Default

I think that we should be the ones paying GIMPS.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-03, 23:36   #8
Peter Nelson
 
Peter Nelson's Avatar
 
Oct 2004

232 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfd64
I think that we should be the ones paying GIMPS.
..... From the above reasoning, on average, we are "paying GIMPS"

See prize rules. Although we get an average $0.20 each, the rest of the prize funds GIMPS, a charity of George's choice etc.

I'm not opposed to this, just pointing out a fact overlooked above.

Note we also pay through our increased electricity bills.

I agree that there is however, much that participants can get out of the project other than prize money.
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-04, 14:27   #9
Spherical Cow
 
Spherical Cow's Avatar
 
Nov 2004

10000111002 Posts
Default

The potential prize money is a useful explanation when trying to end conversations in which you're trying to get through to someone about why you're using all this computer time on what appears to them to be a fruitless, needless search. If they can't see the many fascinating aspects of number theory, then sometimes you just give up, and say "Hey, I might win $100K" (minus some adjustments...)

Norm
Spherical Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-04, 14:36   #10
R.D. Silverman
 
R.D. Silverman's Avatar
 
Nov 2003

22×5×373 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Cow
The potential prize money is a useful explanation when trying to end conversations in which you're trying to get through to someone about why you're using all this computer time on what appears to them to be a fruitless, needless search. If they can't see the many fascinating aspects of number theory, then sometimes you just give up, and say "Hey, I might win $100K" (minus some adjustments...)

Norm
Ultimately, everything that does not put a roof over our heads or food on the
table or keep us healthy is fruitless and needless.

Some other "fruitless and needless" activities:

Climbing Mt. Everest
mastering the balance beam
stuffing a ball through a hoop
studying poetry
religion (the most evil thing in all history, IMO. It should be illegal)

etc. etc.

I toss these thoughts out in order to ask a somewhat obvious question:

"There are many 'useless' activities that never seem to get questioned.
Why should mathematicians need to justify what we do to the uninformed?"
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-05-04, 16:16   #11
Vijay
 
Apr 2005

2616 Posts
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman
Ultimately, everything that does not put a roof over our heads or food on the
table or keep us healthy is fruitless and needless.

Some other "fruitless and needless" activities:

Climbing Mt. Everest
mastering the balance beam
stuffing a ball through a hoop
studying poetry
religion (the most evil thing in all history, IMO. It should be illegal)

etc. etc.

I toss these thoughts out in order to ask a somewhat obvious question:

"There are many 'useless' activities that never seem to get questioned.
Why should mathematicians need to justify what we do to the uninformed?"

Good point, Mathematicians set goals to do things which would be alien to some second non-mathematician and after archieving the goals, the gain is glory and the feeling of success.
Be it success of finding the next M prime or proving a mathematical statement.

However I strongly disagree with your view on religion ('the most evil thing in all history') that's just your point of view, most people will find this offensive, further more - 'It should be illegal' is just plain critism, unfair and completely absurd.
To think, I can just say - What's the point of doing abstract sciences (such as mathematics) when you can't actually explain it in plain terms to another person.

Come on now, you can't start going around saying religion should be illegal, your just trying to pick a fight again.

If I went to China for a holiday and start saying to the people there - Chinese people are gay and dumb! What would happen to me?
Vijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
128-bit OS'es and GIMPS? ixfd64 Software 22 2011-10-31 22:23
GIMPS on PS3 flouran Hardware 202 2010-04-30 09:06
GIMPS Nub SayMoi Information & Answers 5 2009-04-06 15:29
GIMPS uses only 1 cpu Unregistered Information & Answers 7 2009-01-10 20:01
Why do you run GIMPS ? Prime Monster Lounge 12 2003-11-25 19:04

All times are UTC. The time now is 02:55.

Thu May 13 02:55:23 UTC 2021 up 34 days, 21:36, 1 user, load averages: 4.25, 3.78, 3.46

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.