mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2015-07-13, 19:25   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts
Default How do I get Youtube to remember its place in videos?

I already wrestled with Google over this, you'd think that since they own Youtube, Google should know the answer. But it appears that Google can't even process the question properly, most of the links have nothing whatsoever to do with Youtube "bookmarking."

You guys are my last, best hope for my sanity.(a million worthless points to the person who can name the meme I'm riffing off of) I'd prefer to keep using Firefox.(wtf, the boy's already insane from this) but I'm willing to change browsers to solve this problem, considering how much time I spend watching Youtube videos.

Restating the problem. I watch a video and walk away, when I come back and reload the video, it inexplicably returns to the very beginning. Sometimes I'm smart enough to look and see where I'm at in the video so I can manually send it back to the right point, but I can't do that 100% of the time since sometimes Firefox will crash or install a new update, meaning a reload.

HALP!!! HALP!!!
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 19:32   #2
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I already wrestled with Google over this, you'd think that since they own Youtube, Google should know the answer. But it appears that Google can't even process the question properly, most of the links have nothing whatsoever to do with Youtube "bookmarking."

You guys are my last, best hope for my sanity.(a million worthless points to the person who can name the meme I'm riffing off of) I'd prefer to keep using Firefox.(wtf, the boy's already insane from this) but I'm willing to change browsers to solve this problem, considering how much time I spend watching Youtube videos.

Restating the problem. I watch a video and walk away, when I come back and reload the video, it inexplicably returns to the very beginning. Sometimes I'm smart enough to look and see where I'm at in the video so I can manually send it back to the right point, but I can't do that 100% of the time since sometimes Firefox will crash or install a new update, meaning a reload.

HALP!!! HALP!!!
You could always bookmark with the URL for that time in the video, google chrome seems to play from last position for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy5wyoqJHbI&feature=youtu.be&t=274
for example with t=274 as an argument it says go 274 seconds in which means I have this bookmarked at the 4:34 mark in the video.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 19:40   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
You could always bookmark with the URL for that time in the video, google chrome seems to play from last position for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy5wyoqJHbI&feature=youtu.be&t=274
for example with t=274 as an argument it says go 274 seconds in which means I have this bookmarked at the 4:34 mark in the video.
That's sort of kludgey. I seem to remember a time when the browser I was using did that automatically. Maybe it was my Android device that pampered me with this feature.

Does Chrome do it automatically or were you saying the bookmark feature does it for you?
Old 2015-07-13, 19:55   #4
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

2,917 Posts

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/07/20/res...automatically/

Seems to work only under some conditions. I've often wondered why it only works sometimes, too.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 19:56   #5
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
That's sort of kludgey. I seem to remember a time when the browser I was using did that automatically. Maybe it was my Android device that pampered me with this feature.

Does Chrome do it automatically or were you saying the bookmark feature does it for you?
I've looked up videos I've already watched in google chrome and it seems to work for me unless I'm imagining it.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-13, 20:59   #6
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

3×5×199 Posts

Quote:
Restating the problem. I watch a video and walk away, when I come back and reload the video, it inexplicably returns to the very beginning.
If you walk away and let the video continue to play until the end then it is no mystery.

It works for me if I close the browser tab or the entire browser and open the same video later, it will start approximately where I left off (I use Chrome). But are you logged in to your youtube account? That is required for it to work across different computers at least, but it might be required even on the same computer, I'm not sure.

Last fiddled with by ATH on 2015-07-13 at 21:00
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-14, 02:12   #7
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
I've looked up videos I've already watched in google chrome and it seems to work for me unless I'm imagining it.
Okay, thanks, then I guess my next step is to make Firefox use Chrome when it plays Youtube videos.

Thanks for the help. :)
Old 2015-07-14, 15:58   #8
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

1000000111012 Posts

I've got in the habit of taking screenshots when I pause videos. Then I purge them after a few days.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 20:15   #9
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
I've got in the habit of taking screenshots when I pause videos. Then I purge them after a few days.
Ooh, smart man, I just need to develop this new habit.

Thanks much. :)