Old 2013-11-22, 08:26   #243
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

3·7·53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-E View Post
...the widespread emotional damage to countless individuals which this fraudulent medium inflicted over many years...
Not to mention the financial damage. Her rates were somewhere north of US$350 per hour...and that was 8-10 years ago. I blame the daytime talk show hosts, Oprah included, for being complicit in the charade as well, as there were numerous episodes of these shows where Browne would practice her "skills" on the audience, and make a mockery out of those that were truly bereaved or severely grieving the loss of a loved one.

Hopefully she will get to spend a good chunk of eternity watching poorly performed television commercials for phone sex and the Psychic Friends Network.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-22, 09:28   #244
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22·7·11·29 Posts

I have heard of her from James Randi's JREF site (which I love very much!). At the time they challenged her and she "feels very shy" of grabbing the million dollar, I said "what a fake" and somehow :guilty: wished her to be "in the world of spirits", something like "why don't you leave us and go to your friends?". We all go there eventually... but some times the justice is done better than other times...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2013-11-22 at 09:40
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-22, 12:00   #245
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

63018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
Not to mention the financial damage. Her rates were somewhere north of US$350 per hour...and that was 8-10 years ago.
Quite a bit north of that, though it obviously also depended on what "service" she was being asked for. A personal "reading" over the telephone, for which she had a years-long waiting list, would cost $750 for about 20-30 minutes. According to this account on Robert Lancaster's website, those on lesser budgets could opt to pay $50 to ask Browne one question by Email and receive a short Email answer about 6 weeks later.

Quote:
I blame the daytime talk show hosts, Oprah included, for being complicit in the charade as well, as there were numerous episodes of these shows where Browne would practice her "skills" on the audience, and make a mockery out of those that were truly bereaved or severely grieving the loss of a loved one.
Yes. I hadn't heard about Oprah Winfrey, but it's certainly true that many TV and radio hosts used Sylvia Browne as an easy means of generating entertainment. Which of those TV hosts actually realised the despicable nature of what she was doing is not always clear. The most persistent offender, who really gave Browne the publicity on which she thrived in her later years, was Montel Williams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
I have heard of her from James Randi's JREF site (which I love very much!). At the time they challenged her and she "feels very shy" of grabbing the million dollar, I said "what a fake" and somehow :guilty: wished her to be "in the world of spirits", something like "why don't you leave us and go to your friends?". We all go there eventually... but some times the justice is done better than other times...
Yes, James Randi is a great debunker of all sorts of "woo".
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-28, 03:11   #246
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

193316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbardwick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Another great goes down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philmoore View Post
Davieddy was a big fan - he should be unsuspended for a spell in Lou's honor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Indeed...
Rest in peace!
THX Guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSavwMWNGcY

x
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-28, 03:33   #247
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

6,451 Posts

Bill Foulkes
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 21:13   #248
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

31×317 Posts
Default Blast from the past

Frank Zappa, 20 years ago today.

[The Central Scrutinizer tipped me off about the anniversary]
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-04, 22:01   #249
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

26·157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
Frank Zappa, 20 years ago today.

[The Central Scrutinizer tipped me off about the anniversary]
Frank left us way too soon. To (slightly) misquote Tom Lehrer, "It is a sobering thought that when Frank Zappa was my age, he had been dead for eight years."
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 21:56   #250
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

26·157 Posts

Nelson Mandela.
http://www.breakingnews.com/topic/nelson-mandela/
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 22:11   #251
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

2·19·61 Posts

Paul Walker a few days ago.
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-16, 05:12   #252
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Rep├║blica de California

31×317 Posts

Joan Fontaine (nee' de Havilland), 1917-2013

Peter O'Toole, 1932-2013
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-18, 22:57   #253
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

31×67 Posts

Ronnie Biggs, the train robber. Though I'm not sure he should RIP.

He lived in Redhill and was a carpenter for my dad, who was questioned by the police when Ronnie disappeared!

(He knew nothing, Your Honour.)
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote