Dubslow
Basketry That Evening!

"Bunslow the Bold"
Jun 2011
40<A<43 -89<O<-88

1C3516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterz View Post
Just getting started so I just wanted to make sure I'm doing things efficiently. So I shouldn't expect to finish before the estimated finish date?

I did check my assignments and they are LL assignments. What I meant by stage 2 was the overnight memory.
More or less. The estimated date can sometimes be a bit off, depending on the processor. It should be at least ~85% accurate though.

Last fiddled with by Dubslow on 2012-09-10 at 14:47 Reason: ...though
Dubslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 15:05   #13
Hatterz

Sep 2012

7 Posts

Seems strange that putting it back down to 12mb is not going to effect anything. But I'll trust you guys!
Hatterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 15:18   #14
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

2×72×113 Posts

Quote:
Seems strange that putting it back down to 12mb is not going to effect anything. But I'll trust you guys!
It's a function of the fact that for the type of work you're doing (LL) the program doesn't need any more RAM than 12MB. Thus, even if you offer it more it won't take it.

The corollary to that is you don't actually have to lower the memory setting -- it won't make any difference to the program or your system.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 21:39   #15
lycorn

"GIMFS"
Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

2×5×157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
The corollary to that is you don't actually have to lower the memory setting -- it won't make any difference to the program or your system.
That´s right. And if I were you, I would leave the mem setting as you have set it in the first place, so if the need arises for a P-1 test the system is already tuned for it. That´s what I´ve always done in my systems.
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 22:28   #16
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

1E0C16 Posts

Quote:
Ideally, the labeling for "Available Memory" would explain that it's only used for the amount of auxiliary storage to allocate during P-1 stage 2 and ECM stage 2.

All other processing (L-L, TF, P-1 stage 1, ECM stage 1) simply ignores that value because those don't use any auxiliary memory beyond the standard requirement for each.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote