mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2014-05-14, 20:35   #1
brilong

Mar 2014

100112 Posts
Default PRPnet Script Improvements

Hello, I recently deployed the PRP 5.3.0 client to a few multi-CPU hosts pointing to the PSP Project servers. A couple of my servers have 32 non-hyper-threaded cores (4-way Intel E5-4650). I changed the way the shell scripts work to configure the PRP client. The install-prpclient.sh script creates subdirectories, but does not copy the binaries around; it creates symlinks. This saves 2GB of disk space on a 32-core system and the symlinks work fine. I also changed the scripts to use "screen" instead of "xterm". I have a new script which generates a screenrc file (update-screenrc.sh) depending on the number of cores you have specified. I also made a generic update-prpclient-ini.sh script which requires you to specify the number of clients. The start-prpclient.sh script then starts screen specifying the generated screenrc. In my case, the screen session is started with 32 windows, each one running from the prpclient-X subdirectory.

I wanted to make these scripts available to the community. Feel free to improve upon them, include them in a future update, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4flb10vy5h...newscripts.zip

An example new install might be run as follows (assuming your master_prpclient.ini is ready to be replicated):
./install-prpclient.sh 32
./update-prpclient-ini.sh 32
./update-screenrc.sh 32
./start-prpclient.sh

The stop-prpclient.sh does not need to be changed, yet it works well with the "screen" setup.

Last fiddled with by brilong on 2014-05-14 at 20:36
brilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 23:47   #2
kracker

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

32·241 Posts

Hmm you're right. There is probably a better way then creating a a batch file for every common number of cores... etc this could replace all the "install" scripts(windows).
Code:
@ECHO off
echo Clients to install:
set /P n=
for /l %%x in (1,1,%n%) do (
  mkdir prpclient-%%x
  cd prpclient-%%x
  copy /Y ..\programs\*.exe
  copy /Y ..\programs\*.dll
  cd ..
)
EXIT
Or it is possible to make something to ask the user what they want to "install", saving a lot of space if not using all the programs.

Last fiddled with by kracker on 2014-05-15 at 23:48
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote