firejuggler

Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

32×269 Posts
Default hardware breakthrough : 1 atom-large transistor

as the title suggest, http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sci...law,14746.html
still at the experimental level, the process seem complicated for now

Quote:
The team used a scanning tunnelling microscope to monitor and move atoms on the surface of a silicon crystal that was put in an ultra-high vacuum chamber. The phosphorus atoms were positioned via a lithography process and then covered with a non-reactive layer of hydrogen. The researchers then removed the hydrogen atoms in specific locations using the microscope tip. The placement of the phosphorus atoms on the silicon surface was achieved via a chemical reaction. The researchers completed the transistor with a silicon layer and "alignment markers" that enabled them to apply an electrical charge.

Last fiddled with by firejuggler on 2012-02-23 at 07:06
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-23, 20:14   #2
science_man_88

"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
as the title suggest, http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sci...law,14746.html
still at the experimental level, the process seem complicated for now
Quote:
The team used a scanning tunnelling microscope to monitor and move atoms on the surface of a silicon crystal that was put in an ultra-high vacuum chamber. The phosphorus atoms were positioned via a lithography process and then covered with a non-reactive layer of hydrogen. The researchers then removed the hydrogen atoms in specific locations using the microscope tip. The placement of the phosphorus atoms on the silicon surface was achieved via a chemical reaction. The researchers completed the transistor with a silicon layer and "alignment markers" that enabled them to apply an electrical charge.
if it needs a layer of something to be complete is it really monatomic ? however it's still very interesting.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 02:14   #3
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×54×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
if it needs a layer of something to be complete is it really monatomic ? however it's still very interesting.
It can't. A transistor is a switch, you need an input, an output, and a "button" to operate the switch. They are talking about "atomic-size electrodes". Even if you use the field effect, you would still need two atoms to make the junctions (the switch). I think the name "transistor" is quite improper here. I got this news on a channel I am subscribed, few days ago (before be posted here) and they were also talking about tremendous lower temperatures to operate it (like -200C if I am not mistaken, honestly I was a bit busy and I did not read it very careful that time).

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2012-02-24 at 02:17
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-24, 15:15   #4
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

746010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
It can't. A transistor is a switch, you need an input, an output, and a "button" to operate the switch. They are talking about "atomic-size electrodes". Even if you use the field effect, you would still need two atoms to make the junctions (the switch). I think the name "transistor" is quite improper here. I got this news on a channel I am subscribed, few days ago (before be posted here) and they were also talking about tremendous lower temperatures to operate it (like -200C if I am not mistaken, honestly I was a bit busy and I did not read it very careful that time).
Time to go back to Josephson junctions......
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote