ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·13·443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Fan URL?
Aluminum tape. Thermally conductive. Shiny!
PS efficiency curves seem to peak near half of rated power. Lots of power margin is good!
I posted link to exemplar of such a fan in post #26 of the Xeon Phi, thread, but here it is again. (I like how the page is in English but the URL es en Español. :) More widely, I'm sure a websearch for "12v dc centrifugal fan" will turn up lots of stuff.

Alu tape seems a good idea - link? ;)
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-08, 23:17   #13
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

7,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M344587487 View Post
I take it you're using P95 throughput as the measure of speed? The 3950X is a good choice for now, but it will be pipped by the 4950X when it is released 2020Q4/2021Q1. Are you planning to upgrade when it's available?
We will use mprime, msieve and gmp-ecm for testing. Plus anything else reasonable if asked.

If the 4950X is a big boost in performance we can always sell the 3950X and upgrade, but demand for CPUs like that will be intense so maybe next year?
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-08, 23:17   #14
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

7,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
We have one already!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cooler.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	22985  
Old 2020-08-08, 23:22   #15
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

7,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruoli View Post
From my personal experience with my new Zen 2 work machine, there might be some trouble to get a chip stable at DDR clocks at (and surely above) 3,600 MHz. Sometimes, it is running multiple DCs without any problems. But my current DC already has four round-off-errors. When I first encountered this, I overvolted RAM and SOC slightly and it helped for a while. No, the ambient temperatures seem to be too high or something. Nothing in this machine is overclocked in any way. I only applied the RAM profile which itself reported to be designed for.
What kind of memory are you using?

We'll post details of the memory we ordered in a few days when it arrives.
Old 2020-08-08, 23:54   #16
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

7,691 Posts

https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/1473
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nVZ...wer-case-bgw15

We decided to get a "Be Quiet!" case to match the power supply and HSF. Since everything about this build is "big" we went with the biggest one they offer. It was delivered today and it is a lot larger than we expected! We could fit the case from #1 into it!

It looks like they dropped the box out of an airplane, but the packing foam protected the case so it is perfect. The case is available in orange, silver or black. We chose black because it looks the most elegant.

We've never had a case this big before, so this will be an interesting adventure. Maybe we can use it for a tornado shelter?

The case offers a convertible feature where you can flip the motherboard tray upside down and install it on the other side of the case. We don't know why you would want to do that though.

We paid $269.00 + $25.56 sales tax plus free shipping for this part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	case.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	22986  
Old 2020-08-09, 01:50   #17
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2CFE16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
https://www.bequiet.com/en/case/1473
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nVZ...wer-case-bgw15

We decided to get a "Be Quiet!" case to match the power supply and HSF. Since everything about this build is "big" we went with the biggest one they offer. It was delivered today and it is a lot larger than we expected! We could fit the case from #1 into it!
And as a bonus, now we all know where you live. :) (Tho I expect you'd probably welcome company in "way too quiet out here country", especially of the unexpected-drop-in variety.)

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2020-08-09 at 01:50
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-09, 12:27   #18
kruoli

"Oliver"
Sep 2017
Porta Westfalica, DE

22·73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
What kind of memory are you using?
We chose the F4-3600C16D-32GTZR kit (2 times 16 GB of 3,600 MHz DDR4, CL16-16-16-36). The RGB is purely accidental, my case has no windows so this feature is nonsense.
kruoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-10, 01:31   #19
lavalamp

Oct 2007
London, UK

1,307 Posts

I looked at Be Quiet cases, along with many other brands, Fractal, Coolermaster, ThermalTake etc. Sadly none of them give you many HDD slots these days.

I would have really loved a case that had proper anti-vibration mounts for 10+ drives, but that seems to be a thing of the past.
lavalamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-10, 02:08   #20
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

5·1,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalamp View Post
I would have really loved a case that had proper anti-vibration mounts for 10+ drives, but that seems to be a thing of the past.
How many SATA ports does your standard MB support?
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-10, 02:26   #21
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

2×1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavalamp View Post
I looked at Be Quiet cases, along with many other brands, Fractal, Coolermaster, ThermalTake etc. Sadly none of them give you many HDD slots these days.

You missed the Fractal Define 7 XL then. With the purchase of extra trays it can hold 16 + 2 3.5" drives, plus five 2.5" devices.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-10, 02:37   #22
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

2·1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
How many SATA ports does your standard MB support?
Low end boards typically have 4 sata ports, and it's rare to find more than 8 on a high end one.

I'd like a motherboard manufacturer to release an Epyc Embedded 3451/3351 (16/12 core) board with all 16 SATA ports from the Epyc dies enabled, with two or more of the 8 total in-die Ethernet ports populated. Would make a great NAS. Oh, and give me some of those 64 available lanes of PCIe for stuffing full of GPUs. Epyc Embedded is so underutilized. It could also make a fantastic mining motherboard.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote