mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-02-09, 21:42   #78
NBtarheel_33
 
NBtarheel_33's Avatar
 
"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5·223 Posts
Default

So it looks as though the new prime has brought in a considerable amount of new computing power (thanks and welcome to the new users!). The 30-day sustained GIMPS throughput has swollen to a record 380 TFLOP/s, with the theoretical 30-day maximum throughput exploding to 1.25 PFLOP/s. This is the first time that the GIMPS distributed supercomputer has (theoretically) breached the petaflop barrier.

For historical perspective, in November 2005, GIMPS was knocking on the door of 20 TFLOP/s. We now produce nineteen times that: what constituted GIMPS' typical 24-hour throughput a decade ago, is now completed every 76 minutes.

It is worth noting that the actual 30-day throughput has been typically 35-40% of the theoretical maximum. Therefore, as the new users continue to complete assignments, I expect that we should sustain 450-500+ TFLOP/s in the next few weeks.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-09, 22:34   #79
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar
 
Madpoo's Avatar
 
Jul 2014

2·1,637 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
So it looks as though the new prime has brought in a considerable amount of new computing power (thanks and welcome to the new users!). The 30-day sustained GIMPS throughput has swollen to a record 380 TFLOP/s, with the theoretical 30-day maximum throughput exploding to 1.25 PFLOP/s. This is the first time that the GIMPS distributed supercomputer has (theoretically) breached the petaflop barrier.

For historical perspective, in November 2005, GIMPS was knocking on the door of 20 TFLOP/s. We now produce nineteen times that: what constituted GIMPS' typical 24-hour throughput a decade ago, is now completed every 76 minutes.

It is worth noting that the actual 30-day throughput has been typically 35-40% of the theoretical maximum. Therefore, as the new users continue to complete assignments, I expect that we should sustain 450-500+ TFLOP/s in the next few weeks.
In case you haven't seen this... a "beta" set of graphs:
http://www.mersenne.org/primenet/graphs.php
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-15, 17:17   #80
NBtarheel_33
 
NBtarheel_33's Avatar
 
"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5·223 Posts
Default

GIMPS has set yet another new record for 30-day sustained computing throughput: 405+ TFLOP/s, beating the old record of 400+ TFLOP/s set on 2016-02-19 in the wake of the discovery of the 49th Mersenne prime and the associated influx of new users and computing power.

The maximum theoretical 30-day sustained throughput record remains 1,201+ TFLOP/s, also set on 2016-02-19. The present value of this metric is 1,037+ TFLOP/s, which still places GIMPS in the impressive realm of petaflop-level computing power, while showing a 17.4% increase in computing efficiency from 33.3% to 39.1% overall, in just shy of one year.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-15, 22:24   #81
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar
 
Madpoo's Avatar
 
Jul 2014

2·1,637 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
GIMPS has set yet another new record for 30-day sustained computing throughput: 405+ TFLOP/s, beating the old record of 400+ TFLOP/s set on 2016-02-19 in the wake of the discovery of the 49th Mersenne prime and the associated influx of new users and computing power.

The maximum theoretical 30-day sustained throughput record remains 1,201+ TFLOP/s, also set on 2016-02-19. The present value of this metric is 1,037+ TFLOP/s, which still places GIMPS in the impressive realm of petaflop-level computing power, while showing a 17.4% increase in computing efficiency from 33.3% to 39.1% overall, in just shy of one year.
Feb 9th (the most recent spike on the graph) had the anomalous single result with 527 GHz-days of credit, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that one.

There has been discussion on whether/how much to cap GHz-day credit to prevent crazy things like that.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-16, 01:17   #82
Gordon
 
Gordon's Avatar
 
Nov 2008

1F416 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
Feb 9th (the most recent spike on the graph) had the anomalous single result with 527 GHz-days of credit, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that one.

There has been discussion on whether/how much to cap GHz-day credit to prevent crazy things like that.
I see your 527 GHz days and raise you 4000.

ECM on very tiny exponents with very large B2 bounds...
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-16, 03:02   #83
GP2
 
GP2's Avatar
 
Sep 2003

22·3·5·43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I see your 527 GHz days and raise you 4000.
I see your 4000 GHz days and raise you 527511 (the actual amount of credit, MadPoo's figure was off by three orders of magnitude).
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-16, 03:09   #84
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

100000110000002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
I see your 4000 GHz days and raise you 527511 (the actual amount of credit, MadPoo's figure was off by three orders of magnitude).
in other words he used the wrong prefix and therefore should have used THz days instead.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-25, 18:34   #85
NBtarheel_33
 
NBtarheel_33's Avatar
 
"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5×223 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
GIMPS has set yet another new record for 30-day sustained computing throughput: 405+ TFLOP/s, beating the old record of 400+ TFLOP/s set on 2016-02-19 in the wake of the discovery of the 49th Mersenne prime and the associated influx of new users and computing power.

The maximum theoretical 30-day sustained throughput record remains 1,201+ TFLOP/s, also set on 2016-02-19. The present value of this metric is 1,037+ TFLOP/s, which still places GIMPS in the impressive realm of petaflop-level computing power, while showing a 17.4% increase in computing efficiency from 33.3% to 39.1% overall, in just shy of one year.
New record: 421.679 TFLOP/s. Efficiency is now at 40% (1054.193 TFLOP/s maximum).
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-04, 04:22   #86
NBtarheel_33
 
NBtarheel_33's Avatar
 
"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5×223 Posts
Default

This is getting as bad (as good?) as the US stock market.

New record: 431.005 TFLOP/s.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-28, 08:24   #87
NBtarheel_33
 
NBtarheel_33's Avatar
 
"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

111510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
This is getting as bad (as good?) as the US stock market.

New record: 431.005 TFLOP/s.
New record for 30-day sustained throughput: 436.648 TFLOP/s. The post-M50 crowd seems to be hanging around a little longer than those joining on after previous prime discoveries.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
another defined sequence MattcAnderson Miscellaneous Math 4 2017-07-05 08:05
Budget PC Throughput Rodrigo Hardware 14 2011-09-26 10:16
SZPTR - whare is it defined tichy Software 4 2010-12-22 09:02
how is the throughput calculated? ixfd64 PrimeNet 5 2008-05-21 13:39
My throughput does not compute... petrw1 Hardware 9 2007-08-13 14:38

All times are UTC. The time now is 21:40.

Tue Sep 22 21:40:50 UTC 2020 up 12 days, 18:51, 0 users, load averages: 1.52, 1.62, 1.63

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.