Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2016-12-10, 00:17   #45
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

131408 Posts

For many people their phone is also part of the IoT craze. And look what happens when the manufacturer unilaterally decides you shouldn't have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://phys.org/news/2016-12-samsung-disable-recall-effort.html
"To further increase participation (in the recall), a software update will be released starting on December 19 that will prevent US Galaxy Note 7 devices from charging and will eliminate their ability to work as mobile devices," Samsung said in a statement.
It is not your device, you have no control. Stop your whining and trust your digital overlords. Welcome to the panopticon.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-13, 09:55   #46
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×13×443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
For many people their phone is also part of the IoT craze. And look what happens when the manufacturer unilaterally decides you shouldn't have it.It is not your device, you have no control. Stop your whining and trust your digital overlords. Welcome to the panopticon.
Not literally an IoT thing, but this piece illustrates the same worldview:

Amazon (AMZN) uses ProctorU's ridiculously invasive virtual interview process — Quartz
Quote:
In other words, it has become completely normal for a prospective employer, a school, a drivers license test provider, or a company HR department to require that you install software on your computer, give a stranger complete access to your machine, show that stranger your home—or even allow that stranger to tour your bed sheets. These are the standard procedures.

It’s the trade for convenience that has led us to accept so many fairly intrusive products, like email accounts that mine conversations for data that helps target ads, online tracking so effective that a store might know we’re pregnant before our families do, and gadgets that literally put a speaker in our homes that listens to our conversations.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-13, 18:39   #47
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

22×3×72×17 Posts

The last item you mention, at least, qualifies as IoT. However, it can be said that intrusion is really the End, and physical "things" are only Means, as are the apps.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2016-12-13 at 18:39
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-02, 06:16   #48
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×13×443 Posts

Arkansas Prosecutors Obtain Warrant for Amazon Echo Audio Recordings | Democracy Now!
Old 2017-01-02, 10:44   #49
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5×223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
For many people their phone is also part of the IoT craze. And look what happens when the manufacturer unilaterally decides you shouldn't have it.It is not your device, you have no control. Stop your whining and trust your digital overlords. Welcome to the panopticon.
Because unilaterally bricking my device, seizing my data, and causing me aggravation ranging from a couple of lost family photos all the way up to financial damages due to lost business contacts or documents is really the way to get me to exchange that Note 7 for a Note 8, or better yet, to have my company re-up our contract for Samsung devices. Oh, and never mind the fact that my home, life, and limb were all subject to danger due to Samsung's insistence on cheap, low-quality battery technology in the first place.

I'm waiting for the bevy of lawsuits from Note 7 users that need to make an emergency call only to find that their phones have been disabled "for their protection".

I had an S2 and now have an S4, but this really sounds like a great time to pick up some Apple stock.

I wonder if this is how autonomous car manufacturers will keep you on schedule with maintenance. You (or rather, your car) will be driving to work one morning only to be diverted to the nearest dealership, where the car will shut down, begin honking its horn repeatedly, and playing "Muskrat Love" on the radio until the needed oil change is completed.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-02, 11:05   #50
NBtarheel_33

"Nathan"
Jul 2008
Maryland, USA

5·223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
To say nothing of the inevitability - such incidents have already been reported - of having your 'smart' house/car/gps/phone/pacemaker/implanted-insulin-pump hacked, either to endanger you and/or subject you to a ransom demand. "If you would like control of your home back, please send $20000 in bitcoin to..."
I first happened to read about the hacking of electronic medical records and IV pumps as my mother was receiving biweekly doses of chemotherapy. It troubled me and frankly pissed me off, the more I thought about it. Just because an IV pump can be connected to the Internet does not mean that it should be, or even needs to be! The nurses need to do their damn jobs, and check on the patients once in a while. Moreover, they need to have the common sense to ask questions of the patient and caregiver(s), not just blindly follow a screen, when the information on that screen doesn't seem entirely correct.

WRT ransomware, I fully expect that it will have to be included in different types of insurance policies in the future. If your house or car were to become subject to such a demand, there is either (a) the cost of hiring professionals to attempt to circumvent the malicious code or (b) the cost of simply paying the ransom. I am sure that the architects of such code will have the knowledge to obfuscate their products enough to make (a) equal to or far greater than (b). Our home in Maine has a system of "z-wave" thermostats and repeaters that allow us to remotely control (down to the degree) the temperature in each room of the house. Recently, the communication module failed and required replacement (not due to hackers, just a hardware failure) at a cost of almost $700. Roughly 60% of this was labor, billed at $90+ per hour. That adds up quite fast when you are trying to reverse-engineer some malicious code and restore control of an entire home (not just the thermostats) to its owners.

Moreover, we are not even beginning to consider the costs of rogue IoT equipment that is instructed to shut off a fully stocked refrigerator or freezer, run a heater at 90°F while a house is vacant, run water continuously for days or weeks, etc.
NBtarheel_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-02, 18:09   #51
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

22×3×131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBtarheel_33 View Post
Recently, the communication module failed and required replacement (not due to hackers, just a hardware failure) at a cost of almost $700.
The sales pitch about the internet connected thermostats here in Belgium is most about the savings, then about the comfort. I see that the savings part has to be taken with quite a few grains of gold or even about 10 of diamond...

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-03, 04:42   #52
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2×13×443 Posts

A delightful new twist on the "just because you paid for our product doesn't imply you own it" techno-fascism:

Company Bricks User's Software After He Posts A Negative Review | Techdirt
Old 2017-01-08, 04:22   #53
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

2×1,877 Posts

TV anchor says live on-air 'Alexa, order me a dollhouse' – guess what happens next
Quote:
Telly station CW-6 said the blunder happened during a Thursday morning news package about a Texan six-year-old who racked up big charges while talking to an Echo gadget in her home. According to her parents' Amazon account, their daughter said: "Can you play dollhouse with me and get me a dollhouse?" Next thing they knew, a $160 KidKraft Sparkle Mansion dollhouse and four pounds of sugar cookies arrived on their doorstep.

During that story's segment, a CW-6 news presenter remarked: "I love the little girl, saying 'Alexa ordered me a dollhouse'."

That, apparently, was enough to set off Alexa-powered Echo boxes around San Diego on their own shopping sprees. The California station admitted plenty of viewers complained that the TV broadcast caused their voice-controlled personal assistants to try to place orders for dollhouses on Amazon.

We'll take this opportunity to point out that voice-command purchasing is enabled by default on Alexa devices.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-10, 01:13   #54
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

2·13·443 Posts

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/04/lorea...reatments.html

Yeah, I'm sure this gizmo will only listen to hairbrush sounds and not forward any audio recordings to any interested 3rd parties - because that would be Orwellian, and the IoT is strictly warm&fuzzy, not Orwellian.

Coming soon:

o Auto-notification of your insurance carrier if any protein deficiencies or other adverse-health-indicating hair conditions are detected;

o Auto-ordering at Amazon and other affiliated e-tailers - why should only Alexa users have that fun?

o Automated DNA profiling and forwarding to the FBI for inclusion in their ever-growing database of 'potential criminals'. Pre-crime - it's for your own protection!
Old 2017-03-15, 13:02   #55
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

25·179 Posts

https://phys.org/news/2017-03-smart-...ker-price.html

Of course you can absolutely trust all companies to not grab your data whenever they feel like it. Like the maker of that sex toy would no doubt be able to resist collecting any data ... oh wait.

Soon this type of crap will be included in everything simply because they can. Just refuse to connect them. It won't ever be used to help you, the manufacturers will help themselves whether you want them to or not.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote