kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-16, 19:29   #1004
only_human

"Gang aft agley"
Sep 2002

72528 Posts

L.A. school board approves $11 million to fix faulty records system

Quote:
The system caused problems districtwide this fall, with thousands of students unable to enroll in classes required for graduation or college. Teachers were unable to record attendance, and grade information was lost or corrupted
Quote:
The district has spent more than $130 million trying to develop a fully functional student records system. The new system is called My Integrated Student Information System, or MISIS.

Tuesday's measure passed unanimously. The cost will be covered with voter-approved school construction bonds.
only_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-18, 06:17   #1005
ixfd64
Bemusing Prompter

"Danny"
Dec 2002
California

28×32 Posts

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/17...o-years-dating
ixfd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 05:49   #1006
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

10,007 Posts
Default Watch out for the Deadly Snow Snake! (heh!)

I picked this up from a story about a Facebook algorithm designed to reduce the distribution of hoax postings. However, the Snopes article it links to has the actual hoax post regarding the above-named snake.

Source is here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snowsnake.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	12220  
Old 2015-02-01, 16:55   #1007
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

271716 Posts
Default Acclaimed Novelist Is Remembered For Her Physical Appearance

http://thinkprogress.org/culture/201...st-goes-viral/

Quote:
Colleen McCullough wrote 25 novels. Her The Thorn Birds sold 30 million copies worldwide for $1.9 million, then a record; a miniseries starring Richard Chamberlain and Barbara Stanwyck based on her work became one of the most watched in history, second at the time only to Roots. (The miniseries won four Golden Globes but McCullough, whose tastes did not align with the HFPA’s, called it β€œinstant vomit.”) Her historical series, Masters of Rome, was critically acclaimed by the likes of Henry Kissinger. Before becoming a full-time author, McCullough was a researcher at Yale medical school. And in between her time in New Haven and her global literary pursuits, she established the neurophysiology department at Syndey’s Royal North Shore hospital. She published her first novel, Tim, in 1974; her last, Bittersweet, in 2013. She was still working on a sequel when she died yesterday, at age 77, in a hospital on Norfolk Island.
But if you read her obituary in the Australian Photograph you will learn other, definitely more important facts about her before you ever get to this list of accomplishments. Because the second sentence of that obit reads: β€œPlain of feature, and certainly overweight, she was, nevertheless a woman of wit and warmth.”
Old 2015-02-01, 17:12   #1008
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

23×1,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Definitely a "warts and all" description. Students of English history will recognize that one, possibly the best known characteristic of an otherwise important historical figure. The description has passed into the English vernacular.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2015-02-01 at 17:12
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 08:09   #1009
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M50..sshh!

2·3·149 Posts

This add by Budweiser during the Super Bowl

Budweiser "attacks" craft breweries. This is ironic because they have been buying up a number of craft breweries over the last few years. In fact, one of the breweries they have purchased makes a pumpkin peach beer that they make fun of during the commercial. While pumpkin peach likely doesn't appeal to many, the idea that craft beer is "sissy" strikes me as odd considering Bud is low ABV and has very little taste compared to things like Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (18% alcohol and enough hops to bounce off the table), Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Perennial Artisan Ales Abraxas, Omer Vander Ghinste Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge, Abbaye Notre-Dame de Saint-Remy Rochefort 10, Boulevard Saison-Brett, Evil Twin I Love You With My Stout, Bell's Hopslam, Brouwerij de Ranke Guldenberg, Firestone Walker Parabola, Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout, Brouwerij van Honsebrouck Gueuze Fond Tradition, Weihenstephaner Vitus (oldest brewery in the world), Brouwerij St. Bernardus Prior 8, Brasserie d'Achouffe Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, Stone Cali-Belgique IPA, HaandBryggeriet Dark Force... and many, many more great beers.

A paraphrase of one of my favorite responses: " I'm hard at work making my own Budweiser. As soon as I pee out this gallon of water I just drank I'll be almost done."

Last fiddled with by Primeinator on 2015-02-02 at 08:17
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 12:53   #1010
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

271716 Posts

Quote:
A paraphrase of one of my favorite responses: " I'm hard at work making my own Budweiser. As soon as I pee out this gallon of water I just drank I'll be almost done."
Or as a Brit rant (mis)attributed to John Cleese puts it, "Nearly frozen, weak gnat urine," pronounced with a long "i" sound in the last word.
Old 2015-02-02, 16:35   #1011
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

2·7·103 Posts

For serious quality beer:
In Britain: Camra http://www.camra.org.uk/about-real-ale
In Germany: Reinheitsgebot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot
In the Netherlands and Belgium: Trappist http://www.trappistbeer.net/
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 21:07   #1012
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

240308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
F
In the Netherlands and Belgium: Trappist
Shouldn't that be spelled "tres pissed"?
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote