mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Sierpinski Project

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-04-07, 19:02   #45
mazadillon
 
mazadillon's Avatar
 
Apr 2007

3×5 Posts
Default

Since I am one of those 12 users I should make the point that one of my machines has no internet connection and is not likely to get one. I wouldn't like to see it sit idle so can you suggest what I can do with it? Another DC project perhaps? Does BOINC have an offline compatible mode?

EDIT: To avoid confusion, I am aka matt

Last fiddled with by mazadillon on 2008-04-07 at 19:03
mazadillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 19:10   #46
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazadillon View Post
Since I am one of those 12 users I should make the point that one of my machines has no internet connection and is not likely to get one. I wouldn't like to see it sit idle so can you suggest what I can do with it? Another DC project perhaps? Does BOINC have an offline compatible mode?

EDIT: To avoid confusion, I am aka matt
Well, you could always try the Sierpinski/Riesel base 5 project--they have plenty of manual sieving work to be done (and, in fact, they could use some more sieving right now, since they are not yet sieved to optimal depth for their current PRP range). They use sr5sieve for sieving, but sr2sieve would work too (I don't know whether it would be slower, and by how much), if you needed to use it with Sobistrator.

Anyway, the factors there are quite plentiful--I usually get more than 20 per 5G range--and as I was saying, they are actually in much more immediate need of sieving than PSP.

Alternatively, you might want to check out the Sierpinski Base 6 Team Sieve at Conjectures 'R Us--though the sieving is currently in pretty good shape as far as staying ahead of the PRP effort, there's still plenty of work to be done, as the sieving is not that terribly far ahead of PRP.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 19:11   #47
Sloth
 
Sloth's Avatar
 
Mar 2006

5E16 Posts
Default

If you want to stick with this project there is always LLR. It needs about the same amount of work to keep running as sieve. The manual version is LLR. The online supported version is LLRNet.

S.
Sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 03:02   #48
Joe O
 
Joe O's Avatar
 
Aug 2002

52510 Posts
Default

@mazadillon aka matt
You could have mentioned this when we PM'd back and forth last month, or when you submitted your factors to factrange.
@anonymous
I am going to consider your post to be an invitation to come to the fora of the projects you mention and recruit their members for this project.
@Sloth and everyone
Yes, the manual LLR for this project is a very good choice. But folks, nothing has been decided yet. There is a lot of sieving left in the current range. Come and see if you can finish it by June 1st of this year. If you do, I will definitely open up the next range that has been reserved for the manual effort. If you don't, we'll have to see. At the current rate, I don't expect the current range to be finished this year. Come prove me wrong.
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 03:06   #49
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

11000011010012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
...
@anonymous
I am going to consider your post to be an invitation to come to the fora of the projects you mention and recruit their members for this project.
...
No, I think you've got me all wrong. I was by no means trying to do any recruiting, or to "steal" users away from PSP. All I meant was just to suggest some possible alternatives for those who can only do manual sieving (for example on a machine that's too old to do accomplish much of anything with LLR), since sieving will apparently be going all-BOINC here. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 22:43   #50
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing
 
KEP's Avatar
 
May 2005

13×71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazadillon View Post
Since I am one of those 12 users I should make the point that one of my machines has no internet connection and is not likely to get one. I wouldn't like to see it sit idle so can you suggest what I can do with it? Another DC project perhaps? Does BOINC have an offline compatible mode?

EDIT: To avoid confusion, I am aka matt
You could always contact Gd_barnes, and ask to help find lot of primes using PFGW, and help proof the sierpinski Base 3 conjecture :)
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 23:42   #51
Joe O
 
Joe O's Avatar
 
Aug 2002

10158 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
You could always contact Gd_barnes, and ask to help find lot of primes using PFGW, and help proof the sierpinski Base 3 conjecture :)
O goody, another person inviting us to come to their forum and recruit their people for our project.
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 09:18   #52
hhh
 
hhh's Avatar
 
Jun 2005

5658 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
O goody, another person inviting us to come to their forum and recruit their people for our project.
Come on, Joe, don't take it personally, I did similar "invitations" already. I think it's more about solidarity than about concurrence. H.
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 18:33   #53
tnerual
 
tnerual's Avatar
 
Oct 2006

4038 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh View Post
Come on, Joe, don't take it personally, I did similar "invitations" already. I think it's more about solidarity than about concurrence. H.
in fact it's not stealing people from the project ... they can't work anymore on your project due to boinc only policy ... so it's more like "recycling an old fashioned cruncher"
tnerual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 20:32   #54
Joe O
 
Joe O's Avatar
 
Aug 2002

3·52·7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnerual View Post
in fact it's not stealing people from the project ... they can't work anymore on your project due to boinc only policy ... so it's more like "recycling an old fashioned cruncher"
Where are you getting this BOINC only policy from?
Manual sieve is still available
Manual LLR is still available
LLRnet 1st pass is available
LLRnet 2nd pass is coming
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 20:54   #55
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo
 
mdettweiler's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
Where are you getting this BOINC only policy from?
Manual sieve is still available
Manual LLR is still available
LLRnet 1st pass is available
LLRnet 2nd pass is coming
We (I and the others who mentioned other projects) were suggesting possible alternatives for when the manual sieving runs out and everyone has to switch to BOINC. In the meantime, of course, we had no intention of pulling away anybody from PSP manual sieving.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BOINC Unregistered Information & Answers 6 2010-09-21 03:31
BOINC.BE BATKrikke Teams 2 2010-03-05 18:57
Boinc Xentar Sierpinski/Riesel Base 5 4 2009-04-25 10:26
BOINC? KEP Twin Prime Search 212 2007-04-25 10:29
BOINC bebarce Software 3 2005-12-15 18:35

All times are UTC. The time now is 20:27.

Fri Sep 25 20:27:37 UTC 2020 up 15 days, 17:38, 0 users, load averages: 1.49, 1.62, 1.68

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.