mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Sierpinski Project

Old 2008-04-07, 19:02   #45
mazadillon

Apr 2007

3×5 Posts

Since I am one of those 12 users I should make the point that one of my machines has no internet connection and is not likely to get one. I wouldn't like to see it sit idle so can you suggest what I can do with it? Another DC project perhaps? Does BOINC have an offline compatible mode?

EDIT: To avoid confusion, I am aka matt

Last fiddled with by mazadillon on 2008-04-07 at 19:03
mazadillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 19:10   #46
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazadillon View Post
Since I am one of those 12 users I should make the point that one of my machines has no internet connection and is not likely to get one. I wouldn't like to see it sit idle so can you suggest what I can do with it? Another DC project perhaps? Does BOINC have an offline compatible mode?

Well, you could always try the Sierpinski/Riesel base 5 project--they have plenty of manual sieving work to be done (and, in fact, they could use some more sieving right now, since they are not yet sieved to optimal depth for their current PRP range). They use sr5sieve for sieving, but sr2sieve would work too (I don't know whether it would be slower, and by how much), if you needed to use it with Sobistrator.

Anyway, the factors there are quite plentiful--I usually get more than 20 per 5G range--and as I was saying, they are actually in much more immediate need of sieving than PSP.

Alternatively, you might want to check out the Sierpinski Base 6 Team Sieve at Conjectures 'R Us--though the sieving is currently in pretty good shape as far as staying ahead of the PRP effort, there's still plenty of work to be done, as the sieving is not that terribly far ahead of PRP.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 19:11   #47
Sloth

Mar 2006

5E16 Posts

If you want to stick with this project there is always LLR. It needs about the same amount of work to keep running as sieve. The manual version is LLR. The online supported version is LLRNet.

S.
Sloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 03:02   #48
Joe O

Aug 2002

52510 Posts

@mazadillon aka matt
You could have mentioned this when we PM'd back and forth last month, or when you submitted your factors to factrange.
@anonymous
I am going to consider your post to be an invitation to come to the fora of the projects you mention and recruit their members for this project.
@Sloth and everyone
Yes, the manual LLR for this project is a very good choice. But folks, nothing has been decided yet. There is a lot of sieving left in the current range. Come and see if you can finish it by June 1st of this year. If you do, I will definitely open up the next range that has been reserved for the manual effort. If you don't, we'll have to see. At the current rate, I don't expect the current range to be finished this year. Come prove me wrong.
Joe O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 03:06   #49
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

11000011010012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
@anonymous
I am going to consider your post to be an invitation to come to the fora of the projects you mention and recruit their members for this project.
No, I think you've got me all wrong. I was by no means trying to do any recruiting, or to "steal" users away from PSP. All I meant was just to suggest some possible alternatives for those who can only do manual sieving (for example on a machine that's too old to do accomplish much of anything with LLR), since sieving will apparently be going all-BOINC here. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.
Old 2008-04-12, 22:43   #50
KEP
Quasi Admin Thing

May 2005

13×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazadillon View Post

You could always contact Gd_barnes, and ask to help find lot of primes using PFGW, and help proof the sierpinski Base 3 conjecture :)
KEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 23:42   #51
Joe O

Aug 2002

10158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEP View Post
You could always contact Gd_barnes, and ask to help find lot of primes using PFGW, and help proof the sierpinski Base 3 conjecture :)
O goody, another person inviting us to come to their forum and recruit their people for our project.
Old 2008-04-14, 09:18   #52
hhh

Jun 2005

5658 Posts

Quote:
O goody, another person inviting us to come to their forum and recruit their people for our project.
Come on, Joe, don't take it personally, I did similar "invitations" already. I think it's more about solidarity than about concurrence. H.
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 18:33   #53
tnerual

Oct 2006

4038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh View Post
Come on, Joe, don't take it personally, I did similar "invitations" already. I think it's more about solidarity than about concurrence. H.
in fact it's not stealing people from the project ... they can't work anymore on your project due to boinc only policy ... so it's more like "recycling an old fashioned cruncher"
tnerual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 20:32   #54
Joe O

Aug 2002

3·52·7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnerual View Post
in fact it's not stealing people from the project ... they can't work anymore on your project due to boinc only policy ... so it's more like "recycling an old fashioned cruncher"
Where are you getting this BOINC only policy from?
Manual sieve is still available
Manual LLR is still available
LLRnet 1st pass is available
LLRnet 2nd pass is coming
Old 2008-04-14, 20:54   #55
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts

Quote:
Where are you getting this BOINC only policy from?
Manual sieve is still available
Manual LLR is still available
LLRnet 1st pass is available
LLRnet 2nd pass is coming
We (I and the others who mentioned other projects) were suggesting possible alternatives for when the manual sieving runs out and everyone has to switch to BOINC. In the meantime, of course, we had no intention of pulling away anybody from PSP manual sieving.