Old 2021-11-21, 22:46   #1
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

10,039 Posts
Default Being an Intervenor...

Just to share... Sometimes it's fun being me...

There is an "exercise" going on at the moment down here in little Bimshire that I could use some help with...

The Power provider has asked for a Rate Review. The Provider wants more money (surprise!).

Just putting this out there...

Are there any economists or engineers "in the house" who would be willing to provide any assistance?

This kind of work is all pro bono, of course. But, /sometimes/, the effort can result in at least a small amount of good.

Please PM if anyone wants my contact details.

I plan to post to this thread over time, filling out the context (I already have 1,300 pages of Dead Tree on my office floor, marked up with notes...).
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-22, 11:55   #2
firejuggler

"Vincent"
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2×32×149 Posts

I only skimmed the first volume so far. here are some stray observation.

Infrastructure, Infrastructure...
As always, Infrastructure is run to the ground before even thinking of being replaced (steam engine).
Extending the "life" of equipement in EOL (end of life) rather than having a ready replacement is
sure beneficial for share-holder, but will cost more in the future(P55).

No new fossil fuel generator since 2005(P59). Fossil fuel using generator will be retired by 2030 (P69)

Investissement to required retiring of Fossil fuel generator is financed by 1/4 debt and 3/4 equity ( aka money owned and assets) (P75).

Also, It seems that they consider the ROI (return on investissement) is not high enough (P73) . So they need more money.For that, they require about 12% (well 11.8%) more revenue (P78).
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-22, 15:54   #3
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

10,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
I only skimmed the first volume so far. here are some stray observation.
Thank you for your notes. Appreciated.

Our team will be having its inaugural meeting (in meat-space) tomorrow to discuss our strategy and next steps.

But, we already agree with your observations. Particularly when it comes to the T&D network, you either pay for preventative maintenance now, or you pay for repairs at unknown times in the future... Barbados is, after all, the "head-pin" in the Caribbean hurricane bowling alley...

I will be bringing this blog post and resulting discussion forward as a talking point.

Last fiddled with by chalsall on 2021-11-22 at 15:59 Reason: Corrected URL.
Old 2021-11-22, 16:19   #4
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

19×311 Posts

Wind and solar generation are inherently big exposed installations vulnerable to damage by flying objects (trees, cows, vehicles, fragments of destroyed buildings, etc.) and becoming flying debris themselves. Diesel engines and gas or oil turbines are comparatively compact for their power rating, and could be housed in bunkers rated to withstand most severe storms and storm surge. Power and communications are a big help in recovery efforts. Price the differential in lives too, from differing levels of power in the first critical hours. Even if Barbados is interconnected by undersea utility cable, the neighboring islands/nations may be similarly impacted. Oh, and https://www.commonwealthgovernance.o.../utilities.jpg amounts to a 404 error. https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1 I wonder what the continuity of operations plan looks like.

edit: I've designed and helped build equipment meant to sit on a mountain in the wind; 45MPH operating, 75MPH survival without repair needed specification. Actual design was 120MPH calculated overturn without tiedown, and tiedown features were included in the base. For national infrastructure to come apart significantly in mere 75MPH, especially in hurricane alley, is atrocious, in my opinion, as a former PE (Wisconsin).
Engines do not necessarily imply fossil fuel or carbon debt. My spark ignition truck accepts E0-E100. https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=eth...+engine&ia=web It would not surprise me if some on Barbados became shoppers for gasoline powered small inefficient generators this summer, as personal backup for an untrustworthy local grid.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-11-22 at 17:19
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-22, 16:36   #5
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

10,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Wind and solar generation are inherently big exposed installations vulnerable to damage by flying objects (trees, cows, vehicles, fragments of destroyed buildings, etc.) and becoming flying debris themselves. Diesel engines and gas or oil turbines are comparatively compact for their power rating, and could be housed in bunkers rated to withstand most severe storms and storm surge. Power and communications are a big help in recovery efforts.
Fully agree. But the GoB has given a hard deadline as to when we'll be carbon neutral. Thus, the depreciation of the legacy carbon-based generation plant has to be accelerated.

Quote:
Price the differential in lives too, from differing levels of power in the first critical hours. Even if Barbados is interconnected by undersea utility cable, the neighboring islands/nations may be similarly impacted.
Barbados is a completely independent grid. And, bizarre... 115V at 50 Hz. One of the worst examples of "tech debt" I have ever seen!

Quote:
I wonder what the continuity of operations plan looks like.
We do to... And will be asking as part of the "discovery".
Old 2021-11-22, 18:26   #6
firejuggler

"Vincent"
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2×32×149 Posts

I am sure you have seen this one, but just in case

Old 2021-11-22, 18:37   #7
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

10,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
I am sure you have seen this one, but just in case
Yup. Thanks. This is already in my library of reference material... I *love* John Oliver. He's even better than Bill Maher in my opinion.

BTW, kriesel... Just to be clear, I hear what you're saying about carbon-based generation for emergencies. But, this will be distributed; ***many*** homes (and all serious businesses) here already have such kit.

Also... In a few decades, the BLPC legacy generation plant at Spring Garden will likely be underwater (or, at least, undermined)...

P.S. Did anyone see our Prime Minister, Mia Mottley, speak at COP26? She's an absolutely brilliant woman!!!
Old 2021-11-22, 19:29   #8
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

10,039 Posts

Quote:
edit: I've designed and helped build equipment meant to sit on a mountain in the wind; 45MPH operating, 75MPH survival without repair needed specification. Actual design was 120MPH calculated overturn without tiedown, and tiedown features were included in the base.
Cool! Seriously...

Please reach out if you'd like to be introduced to our Team. We are very welcoming of experience.

Quote:
For national infrastructure to come apart significantly in mere 75MPH, especially in hurricane alley, is atrocious, in my opinion, as a former PE (Wisconsin).
Completely agree. And my personal hope from this is that BLPC (being "encouraged" by their regulator (BB.FTC)) starts taking the T&D resiliency more seriously.

Quote:
Engines do not necessarily imply fossil fuel or carbon debt. My spark ignition truck accepts E0-E100. https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=eth...+engine&ia=web It would not surprise me if some on Barbados became shoppers for gasoline powered small inefficient generators this summer, as personal backup for an untrustworthy local grid.
Important points! Thanks for bringing them forward.

Part of this exercise is going to be educating the Bajan public about what they can do for themselves to be both more energy-efficient as well as disaster prepared.

P.S. Just a point of order... The fact you introduced this text into a previous post by way of a last-minute edit means it took me longer than nominal to "see" it. This additional language was important enough to have warranted its own post. Just IMO.
Old 2021-11-22, 19:44   #9
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

19×311 Posts

Compare the damage at 75MPH in the recent instance and damage at 55MPH! in the previous storm, to the design requirements easily found by web search in https://www.fema.gov/sites/default/f...provisions.pdf that ranged in my quick skim of the beginning, from 115 to 170MPH. Buildings vs. Utility transmission, apples & oranges, but still, it's less costly to upgrade from 75mph to full design strength, than upgrade slightly, a stronger storm knocks that down, and then it's replaced again.
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-22, 19:49   #10
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3×1,663 Posts

Looking at Barbados irradiation baseline from last 20 years it’s a concern country is still so dependent of fossil fuels despite the efforts to increase the Solar kW peak installed. It’s clear that for peak you should concentrate on Solar only alongside energy battery storage for off peak. You should stop diesel generators to be installed as backup and stated on the documents.

1) which type of manufacture do you have?
2) what type of waste is more often from 1)
3) is there an option to rent your citizens roofs to install more solar panels to be connected to the grid?
4) one of basic approach before doing any work is to install automated meter devices to all main importers to understand baselines and base loads. Then energy efficiency measures can be negotiated.
5) what’s country regulations on energy audits?
6) besides the FiT scheme what other schemes are available to people claim revenue from renewable ECM’s?
7) think it is mentioned a 12MW solar farm, how much it is generating? Wanted to compare with the one I manage, value in MWh/year is enough without any routine adjustments.
8) some of the files have black pages so I cannot read and make comments.
9) regarding wind power Portugal and first world countries are facing an issue when these are at the end of their cycle because the blades are not recyclable. They are buried. Also a note from above regarding speed. The wind turbine will stop at its cut off speed, design per each case.
10) please provide me with your energetic mix breakdown or point me to government website.

Last fiddled with by pinhodecarlos on 2021-11-22 at 19:51
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-22, 19:54   #11
firejuggler

"Vincent"
Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2×32×149 Posts

I've heard of Wave generator. I mean, electricity generated by wave
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_power

Since Barbados is an island, It could work. And it has the advantage of not
obstructing view like the sea wind farm seen in Europe.